[comp.dcom.telecom] Why We Have Seven Digit Numbers

goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (07/20/89)

[Charles Buckley (ceb@csli.stanford.edu) writes: ]

>As far as the Bell study is concerned, I wasn't around at the time,
>but I'm sure that it had the single-digit American parochialism
>built-in.  Who's to say how this influenced the results?

 From what I understand, the Bell study was the reason that the current
7-digit system was set up in the first place.  There was no American
parochialism before then, because there was no standard telephone
number length or format in use at the time; there was a only mish-mash
of different setups.  From what I remember reading, the study tested
people to discover the longest number-length that could be easily
remembered, and the best format for such numbers.  The optimal answer
they came up with was 7 digits, arranged in a 3-4 split.  (Correct
me if I'm wrong, you other Telecom readers who remember this better.)

>They [Germany] will never run out of numbers (unlike the US).

Once NXX area codes are implemented in a few years, the NANP will have
on the order of 5 * 10^9 possible numbers.  I hope never to have to see
the day when North America has enough people to consume all those
numbers!  For all practical purposes, NXX-NXX-XXXX means that we'll
never run out of numbers.  And by the time that we need >10 distinctly
addressable communications channels per person, do you think we'll
still be using telephone numbers directly?

>The inappropriate rigidity of the American 7-digit system is well
>demonstrated on one extreme by the relatively traumatic phenomenon of
>area code splitting in big cities, ...

I don't see how you can use area code splitting as an example that
proves the superiority of variable-length systems over fixed-length
ones. It seems to me that it would be just as annoying to have my
number changed from (say) 369.56.78 to 73.69.56.78 as it would be to
have my number changed from (say) 617-369-5678 to 508-369-5678.  You
still have to get all the stationery reprinted, etc.  In fact, I could
argue that an area code split can be *less* traumatic overall.
Consider that when Paris went to 8 digits, *everybody* in Paris had
their number changed.  Now consider that when New York City split 718
off from 212, *only* the people consigned to the new code had their
numbers changed.  The denizens of Manhattan and the Bronx (which
continue to be 212) weren't inconvenienced at all.

Fixed-length numbers have other advantages as well.  The well-known
number format is an easily-memorized template, and makes it extremely
easy to notice dropped digits and such, since the result is a malformed
number.  Also, they can allow telco switching equipment to be used more
efficiently because, once the first few digits have been entered, the
length of the rest of the number can generally be calculated (excepting
international calls, of course!).  This means that the switching
equipment doesn't have to waste time by constantly asking itself "is he
done dialing?" after each and every digit is sent; it can just wait
until all the digits are in.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (07/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0249m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
(Bob Goudreau) writes:

>  From what I understand, the Bell study was the reason that the current
> 7-digit system was set up in the first place.  There was no American
> parochialism before then, because there was no standard telephone
> number length or format in use at the time; there was a only mish-mash
> of different setups.  From what I remember reading, the study tested
> people to discover the longest number-length that could be easily
> remembered, and the best format for such numbers.  The optimal answer
> they came up with was 7 digits, arranged in a 3-4 split.  (Correct
> me if I'm wrong, you other Telecom readers who remember this better.)

The above got me thinking about the history of the USA telephone numbering
system.  When was the above study done?  When were all numbers standardized at
seven digits?  What other systems were used before that?  What were the last
non-seven-digit systems?

A little personal experience:  My family has owned a camp in the Adirondack
Mountains of upstate New York since 1954.  When we bought the camp, its phone
number there was "Eagle Bay 3268."  Not EB2-3268 or anything like that; just
Eagle Bay 3268.  You could dial locally just by using the last four digits, but
any other calls required an operator.  At the time I lived in Tulsa, and a
long-distance call to our camp also required an operator.  Our Tulsa number
was TE8-7438 for as far back as I could remember, way before the 918 Area Code
was established, so it was always obvious that the New York number was "weird".
The strangest thing was that the New York number lasted a LONG time--even well
AFTER the 315 Area Code was created.  I'm not sure of the exact date when it
finally went to a seven-digit number, but it couldn't have been before the late
1960s and may have not been until the mid-1970s.  After the 315 Area Code had
been established, making a call from Tulsa to our camp became a real
adventure.  My approximate remembrance (let's say this is about 1968):

Me in Tulsa: I'd like to make a long-distance call to upstate New York, in Area
Code 315.

Operator:  You can dial that directly, you know.  What's the number there,
please?

T:  Eagle Bay 3268.  That's why I can't dial directly.

O:  I'm sorry, I didn't understand you.  What was that local number again?

T:  Eagle Bay 3268.

O:  Letter prefixes were replaced by numbers some time ago.  What's the
complete number you wish to reach?

T:  Eagle Bay 3268.  That's the entire number.  It's a tiny rural community,
and hasn't switched to seven digits yet.

O:  You don't understand me.  I need the full number you are trying to reach.

T:  Eagle Bay 3268.  Eagle Bay is the name of the telephone exchange there.
All the numbers in the exchange have only four digits.

O:  There haven't been numbers like that for many years.
You must have a VERY old directory or something.

T:  Trust me.  I made this same call just a few weeks ago.

O:  That's impossible.

T:  I'm not sure how they do it, but the other operators I've used dial the
Eagle Bay operator, who then connects me with 3268.  There must be a way for
you to do that.

O:  Of course not.  I could understand if you were trying to call Africa or
someplace like that, but you're telling me this number is in New York.

T:  Yup.  About 50 miles north of Utica.  In Area Code 315.

O:  I'm sorry, but what you're asking we just can't do.  We don't have the
ability to make such a call, and we never have.  I'm sure you must be mistaken
about something.

[hang up, repeat procedure with three or four different operators, until:]

O:  OH, YES!!!  EAGLE BAY!!!  I handled a call to there last month!  Strangest
set-up I've ever seen.  I had no idea such a place existed.  We were talking
about it the other day, and somebody said it was the last place in the country
that didn't have normal numbers.  Where in the world is it, anyway?  Here,
I'll connect you with the Eagle Bay operator...

T:  Thanks...(whew!)

When the connection was finally made, conversations sounded like low-power
transmissions from Pluto.  On many occasions, static and interference were so
bad that I had to hang up and start with Step 1 again.  Today, the Eagle Bay
exchange is no more, the four-digit numbers are all different, and the whole
area is 357-XXXX.  Unfortunately, since Continental Telephone is in charge,
conversations now sound like low-power transmissions from Neptune.

Anybody have similar war stories?  I'm interested in finding out more about
historical telephone aberrations.  Any explanation for the Bay of Eagle fiasco?

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.

[Moderator's Note: I'll have more examples of this in the Digest in the
next day or two.   PT]