[comp.dcom.telecom] New Product Review: FAXJACK III

gwang@berlioz.nsc.com (George Wang) (07/25/89)

In the July 17th issue of Businessweek there is an article
about a product called FAXJACK III which supposedly automatically
determines whether a FAX, Modem, or Voice call is being made
on a single line... This product would be very useful for people
who are limited to one phone line (IE, Dorm room) but want to use
the line for incoming Modem and/or Voice calls....

This product is made by Viking Electronics at 715-386-8861 and
is only $96!!!

Question:
  Is this too good to be true?? Does this really work?? *HOW* does
it work... Is it reliable.... I am VERY interested in purchasing
this if I get some positive feedback...

Thanks
George

Gwang@berlioz.nsc.com
National Semiconductor
VLSI Software Engineer

vances@xenitec.uucp (Vance Shipley) (07/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0253m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> gwang@berlioz.nsc.com
(George Wang) writes:
>about a product called FAXJACK III which supposedly automatically
>determines whether a FAX, Modem, or Voice call is being made
>on a single line... This product would be very useful for people
>who are limited to one phone line (IE, Dorm room) but want to use
>the line for incoming Modem and/or Voice calls....

(name of manufacturer deleted...)

>Question:
>  Is this too good to be true?? Does this really work?? *HOW* does
>it work... Is it reliable.... I am VERY interested in purchasing
>this if I get some positive feedback...

first the way it works:
			when the line it is attached to is rung it "answers"
			the call and either provides a fake 'ring back' tone
			or plays an outgoing message telling the caller to
			dial a touch tone digit for which service they want
			(say fax, answer machine, modem).  the device listens
			to the line to determine where to route the call.
			most (emphasis on the _most_) fax machines output a
			tone every so often when calling out to another fax,
			this tone is reffered to as 'CNG' tone.  if the device
			detects this tone it sends a "ring" signal on the 'fax'
			port and connects the tel line audio to it when the fax
			answeres.  one of the other ports is the default line,
			when no 'CNG' is detected and no digits are dialled the
			call is connected to this port.  a caller for the other
			port must dial the right digit(s) to be switched to it.

now the caveats:
			-the 'fake ring back' tones that the thing outputs are
			 fine to convince callers to hang on (until the box
			 decides if you are a fax [recieves 'CNG' tone] or gets
			 a routing code [you dial a digit(s)]) but it does not
			 fool the long distance provider who charges you for
			 the call as soon as the 'thing' answers.

			-not all fax machines give a  reliable 'CNG' tone, some
			 give it out every few seconds on an outgoing call and
			 others will provide it far less frequently.  some will
			 not provide it at all.  this seems to be true of the
			 smaller, cheaper machines mostly but i am told that
			 NO pitney-bowes machines have it at all!

			-the "ring" signal that this 'box' provides to your
			 equipment is usually a crude aproximation of what
			 it should be.  it is very square and not of the proper
			 frequencey.  this may not be a problem _or_ it may
			 mean that the equipment will not recognize it.

Vance Shipley                          uucp:  ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!vances
Linton Technology - SwitchView         INTERNET:            vances@egvideo.uucp
180 Columbia Street West                            (soon)  vances@xenitec.uucp
Waterloo, Ontario
CANADA                                                      tel:  (519)746-4460
N2L 3L3                                                     fax:  (519)746-6884
# "Twenty-Five pins in a D shell does not RS-232C make!"                     #