[comp.dcom.telecom] Dial 1

jxh@apple.com (07/27/89)

Did anyone else spot this in comp.lang.postscript?:

[...body deleted...]

> >Call 1-88-83-FONTS to get a copy of the "Font and Function" catalog
> >for more details....

> Hmmm...  I only have digits on my telephone dial.  How do the letters
                       ^^^^^^
> map to digits?

> Jan Michael Rynning,			jmr@nada.kth.se
> Department of Numerical Analysis	If you can't fully handle domains:
> and Computing Science,		ARPA: jmr%nada.kth.se@uunet.uu.net
> Royal Institute of Technology,	UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,...}!nada.kth.se!jmr
> S-100 44 Stockholm,			BITNET: jmr@sekth
> Sweden.				Phone: +46-8-7906288

Surprise!  The world is not the same as the USA!  Personally, I find alphabetic
phone numbers vexing to dial, even when the DTMF pad is labelled so nicely,
as it is here in WE territory (read: WEstern hemisphere?)  My index finger
can't read.  I admit that I have an exceptional facility with 7-digit numbers,
(I memorized 50 digits of pi, 7 at a time.  See .sig if you don't believe me.)
so I suppose I can't say that they're generally easier to remember than names,
but I find this trend disturbing and was delighted to find a pin with which
to prick it, namely (apparently) lack of an international standard on a mapping
of letters to digits.  Just another way the rest of the world can find to
become annoyed with American arrogance?

BTW, I haven't read this group before, but I think I shall start.  Please
accept my apologies if this has all been hashed out recently.

-Jim Hickstein
jxh@cup.portal.com
 ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jxh
Nothing to do with the bozos here that get all the publicity:  I'm a client,
not an employee.
PI to 50 digits:
3.14159 26535 8979323 84626 4338327 9502884 1971693 9937510
        ^^^^^         ^^^^^ well, nobody's perfect.  Has a nice metre.
 ^ "point" sounds like a digit

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (07/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0259m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>
portal!cup.portal.com!jxh@apple.com writes:
>Surprise!  The world is not the same as the USA!  Personally, I find
>alphabetic phone numbers vexing to dial, even when the DTMF pad is labelled
>so nicely, my index finger can't read.

The mapping of letetrs to digits differs in various countries. While it
was originally introduced to aid in the transition from exchange names
to all-digit dialling, it took on new life with the introduction of
vanity 800-numbers. For the record of overseas readers, the US mapping
is:
          1             ABC -> 2        DEF -> 3
        GHI -> 4        JKL -> 5        MNO -> 6
        PRS -> 7        TUV -> 8        WXY -> 9
        star = *        "oper"=0        hash = #
           (some phones have QZ on the 0 key)

I cannot remember the Danish mapping, except that "C" was on the "1";
a remnant from when the original Copenhangen exchange became "CEntral".

What may be even more surprising to insular Americans is that the
allocation of dial pulses to digits is not universal. There are a total
of 4 different mappings (counterclockwise from 3-o'clock):

  (a)	0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9	(Used in UK, I think)
  (b)	1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0	(Used in Denmark)
  (c)	0-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
  (d)	9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0

Obviously, this created a lot of technical problems for international
connectivity until the better standardized DTMF signaling became
universal.

And to my embarrassment, I can't even remember which way the US rotary
dial is laid out. It's been so long since I last saw one.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!