[comp.dcom.telecom] T1 Carrier Solves Shortage of Pairs

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (07/27/89)

I enjoyed the discussion of running out of pairs in Chicago, and sent
it to a friend of mine who isn't on the net.  His response seems
appropriate for the group, so I asked, and he gave permission to post
it.

Larry has been doing interconnect and telephone related engineering
for about ten years now. I've listed his CompuServe ID for anyone who
wants to correspond with him electronically, or you can write to him
care of me.

>Date:  25-Jul-89 04:31 PDT
>From:  Larry Rachman [74066,2004]
>Subj:  Reply to 'pairs'

                                                     25 July
Greetings...

    Just (*finally*) was able to read the piece you sent me.

    The pair situation in NYC is similar, but for other reasons,
namely the proliferation of CENTREX. When a 1000-phone office is
equipped with a PBX, it needs only about 100 lines, and possibly
a few dozen DID (direct inward dialing) trunks. When it switches
over to CENTREX, the pair count goes up to 1000. And of course,
fax machines, modems, and so forth make the problem even worse.

    The great saviour has been T1 carrier. Its a 1.544 megabit
bidirectional link used to move digitized voice. Its implemented
on two twisted pairs, and will typically handle 24 standard
voice channels. What happens is these two pairs from the street
go into a $15,000 'channel bank' on the customer's premises, and
out come 24 dialtones! Pretty neat, eh?

   One of the stupidities of the whole thing, though, is that
many customers are equipping with digital PABXs that can take T1
directly but, since there was no tariff for T1 service, the
channel was broken up by a channel bank into 24 dialtones that
entered the switch via 24 trunk ports. I heard a rumour (that
*surely must be mistaken) about a customer who wanted a bunch of
foreign exhange lines from Jersey and put up his own microwave
link to hop the river (not unheard of), with a channel bank to
funnel a bunch of dialtones into the link. Sure enough, right
next to his channel bank was *ANOTHER* channel bank, this one
provided by NYNEX, to make the NYNEX T1 into dialtones!

   One rather disturbing fact about T1 is that 1.544 megabaud
dry (no battery) data sounds just like *nothing* if you listen
with a butt set. Its not unheard of for installers to reassign
one of these 'unused' pairs when hunting for a spare, and, of
course, there go 24 voice (and sometimes 64kb data) circuits. A
friend of mine who works for an ELFI in NYC has seen it happen
several times.

    Hope all is well there; say hello, etc. for me,
                                                   LR

===================================
                                     -edg
--
Ed Greenberg
uunet!apple!netcom!edg

[Moderator's Note: My thanks for sharing your correspondence with the
Digest readers.   PT]

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (07/28/89)

Edward Greenberg <claris!apple!netcom!edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov> writes:
>   One rather disturbing fact about T1 is that 1.544 megabaud
>dry (no battery) data sounds just like *nothing* if you listen
>with a butt set.

What is a "butt set?"  I would think an active line would be pretty noticable
if the T1 pulse density requirements were met.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

[Moderator's Note: A 'butt set' is simply a telephone handset with a dial
built in (and other nifty switches), ala Trimline. It has aligator clips
on the wires running from it, which can be conveniently clipped on various
wires in a terminal box. They are used by technicians to get an audible
indication of what line(s) they are on at the time.  PT]

jhh@ihlpl.att.com (John H Haller) (07/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0258m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, claris!apple!netcom!edg@
ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) writes:
> >From:  Larry Rachman [74066,2004]
>     The pair situation in NYC is similar, but for other reasons,
> namely the proliferation of CENTREX. When a 1000-phone office is
> equipped with a PBX, it needs only about 100 lines, and possibly
> a few dozen DID (direct inward dialing) trunks. When it switches
> over to CENTREX, the pair count goes up to 1000. And of course,
> fax machines, modems, and so forth make the problem even worse.

It is interesting how the marketing of Centrex has changed.  Shortly
before divestiture, it was very rare that a local operating company
would want to sell Centrex service, probably because of the expense of
all of those lines.  They would rather sell a Dimension(r) plus
a service contract.  After divestiture, since they could not sell
PBX's any more, suddenly Centrex marketing took a very large jump.
Should the Bell companies get permission to start manufacturing,
I wonder if Centrex services would become a pariah again.

John Haller att!ihlpl!jhh