[comp.dcom.telecom] Dialing Area Codes

malcolm@apple.com (07/22/89)

Why is it that I'm not allowed to dial the area code when I'm calling somebody
local?  I live within a few miles of the 408/415 area code line and I'm
constantly forgetting that I'm already in the right area code and I don't
have to dial the area code.  The number I dialed is correct, all the
information is there...but it won't put the call through.

This is so agravating!

								Malcolm

jimmy@denwa.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (07/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0250m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> malcolm@apple.com writes:

>Why is it that I'm not allowed to dial the area code when I'm calling somebody
>local?

>This is so agravating!

I have often wondered this myself, especially after living in Japan,
where there is no penalty for dialing your own area code.

It's true that often you don't know what area code you are in (you stop
at a pay phone).  Why not just ignore the area code if it is the one you
are in?  Bellcore, how about a change?
--
                              Jim Gottlieb
  E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>

dmr@csli.stanford.edu (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (07/27/89)

jimmy@denwa.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) writes:

>In article <telecom-v09i0250m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> malcolm@apple.com writes:
>>Why is it that I'm not allowed to dial the area code when I'm calling
>>somebody local?
>I have often wondered this myself, especially after living in Japan,
>where there is no penalty for dialing your own area code.

This works in some places, like 201 New Jersey, and, I believe,
415 Northern California.

Dan

--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Opinions are my own only.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (07/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0255m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jimmy@denwa.uucp (Jim
Gottlieb) writes:
>In article <telecom-v09i0250m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> malcolm@apple.com writes:

> >Why is it that I'm not allowed to dial the area code when I'm calling
> >somebody local? This is so agravating!

Sometimes you can.  In NJ, I can dial local calls with or without
the home area code.  The price is the same, but the call-handling is
apparently different.  In particular, I can dial another line in the
same central office and watch the incoming calling number show up on
the Caller*Id display.  Placing the same call (from and to the same
numbers) but dialing 1+201+the number results in a Caller*Id display
of "Out of Area".  The call-setup seems to take a few seconds
longer, too.  Apparently the home area causes the local switch to
route the call up the tree a node or two and back down again.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net

[Moderator's Note: Dave, in your .signature, you used to say "if you don't
wish to eye-dee your number, don't bother calling me", or words to that
effect. Did you give up trying to get people to do it? Or was it just the
still relatively few number of phones equipped to give it to you?  PT]