[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machine Interrupter

glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) (07/22/89)

Age old answering machine problem:  forget to turn off answering machine
when you get home, phone rings, answering machine picks up and you
pick up.  You scream to the person on the line to hold on while you
run to shut the &#*$% thing off.

Some companies have added a nifty feature to answering machines which
will kill the machine if an extension picks up.  Anyone hear of any
such add-on gizmo to go in-line with the answering machine and the
telco jack?  Seems doable...

--
-- Glen M. Marianko, Supervisor of Data Communications and Hardware Support
   glen@aecom.yu.edu - {uunet}!aecom!glen - CIS: 76247,450

john@gatech.edu (John DeArmond) (07/24/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0250m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M.
Marianko) writes:
>Age old answering machine problem:  forget to turn off answering machine
>Anyone hear of any
>such add-on gizmo to go in-line with the answering machine and the
>telco jack?  Seems doable...

I saw just such a gizmo Friday in either The Sharper Image or Brookstone.
It looked like one of these little 1-to-2 outlet splitters you can get
at radio shack except it had a couple of LEDs in it.  you hook your
extention phone and answering machine in thru this thing.  When you
pick up, the answering machine is cut off.  Works only for that
phone, though.

john

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

clements@bbn.com (Bob Clements) (07/24/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0251m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> John DeArmond <stiatl!
john@gatech.edu> writes:
|In article <telecom-v09i0250m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen
|M.Marianko) writes:
|>Age old answering machine problem:  forget to turn off answering machine
|>Anyone hear of any
|>such add-on gizmo to go in-line with the answering machine and the
|>telco jack?  Seems doable...

|I saw just such a gizmo Friday in either The Sharper Image or Brookstone.
|It looked like one of these little 1-to-2 outlet splitters you can get
|at radio shack except it had a couple of LEDs in it.  you hook your
|extention phone and answering machine in thru this thing.  When you
|pick up, the answering machine is cut off.  Works only for that
|phone, though.
|john

I answered Glen directly in email, but I'll respond to John's
answer since it was posted:

If the one you saw is the same one as in the Fordham Scope catalog,
which it sounds like from the physical description, then John's last
sentence is incorrect.  It works from any phone on the pair, even
if it is NOT fed through the gizmo.  Amazing for a $7.95 gizmo, but true.

Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com

UCHUCK@unc.bitnet (Chuck Bennett (919)966-1134) (07/24/89)

> From: "Glen M. Marianko" <glen@aecom.yu.edu>
> Subject: Answering Machine Interrupter
> Date: 21 Jul 89 17:52:01 GMT

> Age old answering machine problem:  forget to turn off answering machine
> when you get home, phone rings, answering machine picks up and you
> pick up.  You scream to the person on the line to hold on while you
> run to shut the &#*$% thing off.

> Some companies have added a nifty feature to answering machines which
> will kill the machine if an extension picks up.  Anyone hear of any
> such add-on gizmo to go in-line with the answering machine and the
> telco jack?  Seems doable...

Such a device is available through the Joan Cook catalog.  Sorry I don't
have the address but 800 information has 800-327-3799 as their number.
The device looks like a 1 to 2 RJ-11 adapter and has a red and a green
LED on top.  One plugs it into the jack, the answering machine into one
of the outputs and the phone into the other output(not really
necessary).  Picking up any phone on the line will shut off the
answering machine.  The cost is about $15.  I love mine.

Chuck Bennett

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (07/26/89)

M. Marianko) writes:

> Age old answering machine problem:  forget to turn off answering machine
> when you get home, phone rings, answering machine picks up and you
> pick up.  You scream to the person on the line to hold on while you
> run to shut the &#*$% thing off.

I wasn't aware that my machine was anything special, but I NEVER turn it off,
even when I'm home.  It's a Panasonic (I can supply the model number if
anybody's interested) and has adjustable two- or four-ring pickup.  I keep it
set on four rings (which really works out to almost five), and as long as I
pick up the receiver before then, the machine doesn't kick in.  Works no
matter which extension I pick up (I have four active phones, plus many more
jacks).  Do I have a unique answering machine, or am I misunderstanding the
problem?

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

makela@uunet.uu.net (Otto J. Makela) (07/26/89)

Over here in Finland, you can get a small plug-type device (we use these
huge ugly phone plugs instead of modulars) which you can place between
the answering machine and the wallplug.  If an extension phone is lifted,
the answering machine is cut off.  The price is an exorbitant $20 for
a 5x5cm piece of plastic with probably one relay inside it !

Otto J. Makela, University of Jyvaskyla

InterNet: makela@tukki.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d), Phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

makela@uunet.uu.net (Otto J. Makela) (07/26/89)

Over here in Finland, you can get a small plug-type device (we use these
huge ugly phone plugs instead of modulars) which you can place between
the answering machine and the wallplug.  If an extension phone is lifted,
the answering machine is cut off.  The price is an exorbitant $20 for
a 5x5cm piece of plastic with probably one relay inside it !

Otto J. Makela, University of Jyvaskyla
InterNet: makela@tukki.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d), Phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

spear@druco.att.com (Steve Spearman) (07/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0251m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, stiatl!john@gatech.edu
(John DeArmond) says:
M. Marianko) writes:
>>Age old answering machine problem:  forget to turn off answering machine
>>Anyone hear of any
>>such add-on gizmo to go in-line with the answering machine and the
>>telco jack?  Seems doable...

> I saw just such a gizmo Friday in either The Sharper Image or Brookstone.
> It looked like one of these little 1-to-2 outlet splitters you can get
> at radio shack except it had a couple of LEDs in it.  you hook your
> extension phone and answering machine in thru this thing.  When you
> pick up, the answering machine is cut off.  Works only for that
> phone, though.

I have one like that described that was ordered through a small
company ad in the back of Popular Mechanics or Popular Science.
I suspect (though do not know) that it is the same on Sharper Image has.
However, it DOES work for any phone in the house.  The reason for
the splitter arrangement is so your local extension will work
like any other phone in cutting off the answering machine.  If
you plugged it into the answering machine itself (as is often
done), only the answering machine could cut itself off - the
device has no way to tell about the offhook.

Steve Spearman  spear@druco.att.com

egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us (Eric Schnoebelen) (07/27/89)

-
- I wasn't aware that my machine was anything special, but I NEVER turn it off,
- even when I'm home.  It's a Panasonic (I can supply the model number if
- anybody's interested) and has adjustable two- or four-ring pickup.  I keep it
- set on four rings (which really works out to almost five), and as long as I
- pick up the receiver before then, the machine doesn't kick in.  Works no
- matter which extension I pick up (I have four active phones, plus many more
- jacks).  Do I have a unique answering machine, or am I misunderstanding the
- problem?

        I didn't think my answering machine was overly special either..
It too is a Panasonic, the dual line model ( about the only special
thing about it, or so I thought ) and I too leave it on all the time,
with the "toll saver" feature enabled..  If the machine answers, and I
want to talk to the person ( perfect for screening calls ) it will hang
up after I pick up any extension in the house..

        Other features:  remote control from any tone pad, complete with
replacing the message, selection of which line is answered, time and day
of the week stamping, and all of the other "standard" features that come
on answering machines these days..  The only thing I wish it had is a
way to shut up and hand the call off to a modem if it hears a carrier..
( that wasn't on the request list when the machine was purchased...  )

--
Eric Schnoebelen,			JBA Incorporated, Lewisville, Tx.
egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us

kthompso@entec.wichita.ncr.com (Ken Thompson) (07/27/89)

I used the following circuit with my machine:

             ________| |________
             |       | |        |
             |        10uF      |
             |                  |
_____________|_____/\/\/\/\_____|__________
                      1Kohm

Put it in series with one leg of the pair to the machine only.
The cap. passes the ring signal.
The resistor is the key here.  With the machine off hook the line
has a higher resistance, current is relatively constant.
The machine thinks it is on a longer drop pair and works normally
Lift any phone in the house and most of the current goes to the phone.
If the machine checks the current in the loop or has a vox circuit,
it does not matter, it thinks the caller has hung up and it also
disconnects.

--
Ken Thompson     N0ITL
NCR Corp.  3718 N. Rock Road

cc100aa%prism@gatech.edu (Ray Spalding) (07/27/89)

The summer '89 catalog for DAK Industries Inc. lists a device that
sounds identical to the one described previously as offered by Sharper
Image.  The copy claims that picking up any extension will cut your
answering machine off.  In an interesting twist, it points out that
you could install one of these devices on each extension phone.
Then, whenever your fax or modem is on line, every other extension
is automatically dead, preventing a communications interruption by
someone picking up a phone.

Order No. 5135, $9.90 + $2 P&H, from DAK, 8200 Remmet Ave.,
Canoga Park, CA 91304.  Credit card orders: 1-800-DAK-0800.

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with DAK.  Caveat emptor.
--
Ray Spalding
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!cc100aa

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (07/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0258m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us
(Eric Schnoebelen) writes:
>         I didn't think my answering machine was overly special either..
> It too is a Panasonic, the dual line model ( about the only special
> thing about it, or so I thought ) and I too leave it on all the time,
> with the "toll saver" feature enabled..  If the machine answers, and I
> want to talk to the person ( perfect for screening calls ) it will hang
> up after I pick up any extension in the house..
>
>         Other features:  remote control from any tone pad, complete with
> replacing the message, selection of which line is answered, time and day
> of the week stamping, and all of the other "standard" features that come
> on answering machines these days..  The only thing I wish it had is a
> way to shut up and hand the call off to a modem if it hears a carrier..
> ( that wasn't on the request list when the machine was purchased...  )

Many machines work that way.  Others do not.  Some require that you
use an extension plugged into the answering machine to make it
disconnect after it has answered.

One question Re: the Panasonic 2-line model described above:  I
bought one recently and discovered that when playing back a message,
there is no obvious way to listen to it again.  I can pause and
resume the playback, but if I missed something and want to back up
and replay the message (either remotely or from the control panel of
the machine) there didn't seem to be a way.  I re-read TFM several
times, and then went back to the dealer (Sears) and asked the
salesman.  He replied that a number of customers had complained
about the lack of a back-space and replay feature.  He then refunded
my money, and I bought another answering machine.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net

sgt@dukeac.UUCP (Stephen G. Tell) (07/30/89)

One of the features of my answering machine, (the Phone-Mate top
of the line phone/dialer/answerer, with time/day stamping)
handles this problem:
Lifting the handset built-in to the machine cuts it off, of course.
Press "*" from any other extension in the house to kill it.

The model number on the thing is 4 digits beginning with 76...
If anyone is interested, I can mail you the exact number.

Other useful features are 3-digit programable security code,
and voice prompts for "beeperless-remote" operation.
--
Steve Tell:  senior, Duke University school of Engineering (please hire me).
Former Chief Engineer, Cable 13 / Duke Union Community Television.

r.a.a.@pro-palace.cts.com (R.A. Anonymous, Jr.) (08/02/89)

I had a Phone-Mate cordless phone (poor thing bought the farm in a
thunderstorm) that had a modular jack for an answering machine in the back.
The phone handset itself had a three-position switch, labeled off, screen, and
on.  Off, was, of course, to turn it off (guess what on was for..  :).  But
the screen switch was neat, as the handset would ring (whereas it did not when
turned off), plus, if the phone was answered from the jack on the back of the
base unit, you could hear the calling party and your supposed answering
machine.  Kind of handy, being able to decide who you want to talk to anywhere
in your yard.....

        Rodney Amadeus Anonymous, Jr.   |       Wyomissing, PA
        pro-palace!r.a.a.               |       pro-harvest!r.a.a.
        pro-palace checked daily        |       pro-harvest checked weekly