[comp.dcom.telecom] Standards For Color Coding of Phone Cables

vances@xenitec.uucp (Vance Shipley) (08/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0265m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> levitt@zorro9.fidonet.org
(Ken Levitt) writes:

>I know that the colors don't matter as long as I am consistant and my polatity
>tester shows all is OK, but I would like to know what the standard is in
>color coding.  Should the yellow wire go to the terminal marked red or
>should the black wire go to the terminal marked red?

Telephone circuits are paired as 'tip' and 'ring' wires. On POTS (plain old
telephone service) tip is 0 volts and ring is -48 volts (tip is not 'ground'
though as it is a blanced line).  The pairs must be distinguishable from one
another easily so they are colour coded.  The colour of the wire indicates
whether it is tip or ring.  In a quad wire green and black are tip while red
and yellow are ring.

>[Moderator's Note: Green and red/yellow and black/blue and white... who
>can go further? Once I heard a phone man name all twenty five pairs in
>a cable and their associated partner.....purple and gray/??? and ???.....
>then we get into the slates (stripes)...can anyone reading this name all
>twenty five pairs (fifty wires) and the 'proper' color combinations?  PT]

pair#		tip colour		ring colour
_____		__________		___________

1		white			blue
2		white			orange
3		white			green
4		white			brown
5		white			slate  (silver)
6		red			blue
7		red			orange
8		red			green
9		red			brown
10		red			slate
11		black			blue
12		black			orange
13		black			green
14		black			brown
15		black			slate
16		yellow			blue
17		yellow			orange
18		yellow			green
19		yellow			brown
20		yellow			slate
21		violet  (purple)	blue
22		violet			orange
23		violet			green
24		violet			brown
25		violet			slate

An individual wire is identified by it's colour and the colour of it's stripe.
The main colour determines whether it is tip or ring while the stripe
identifies it's pair (i.e. a black wire with a blue stripe is tip of pair 11).
In many cables the stripe is missing in which case the pairs are distinguished
by the way they are twisted, by pulling back the sheath pairs are more obvious.

As you can see there are only 5 tip colors and 5 ring colours (5 x 5 = 25).
a 100 pair cable is made up of four of these 25 pair bundles.  The first
bundle is wrapped by a white/blue binder string, the second by a white/orange
binder, the third by a white/green and the fourth by a white/brown.  This
scheme can be extended infinitum.

In article <telecom-v09i0266m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> denbeste@andy.bgsu.edu
(William C. DenBesten) writes:

>I thought that the order was:
>	Pair  Tip  Ring
>	  1   RED   GRN
>	  2   YEL   BLK
>	  3   BLU   WHT,
>and that the 1st pair was backwards in a modular connector compared to the
>rest.

Your polarity is off.  Modular connectors reverse the polarity so they make
the issue pretty confusing.  A modular line cord (that is a properly made
_telephone_ line cord) has a flat topology such that when laid on a table
the top of both connectors is up.  This means that a reversal (polarity wise)
takes place.  Tip becomes ring on all pairs (the wire is a ribbon in theory).
the top of both connectors is up.  A 'set' jack (the one inside the telephone)
is wired backwards to compensate.

>Is this what you were looking for?  I culled this from staring at
>telephone wiring and looking at advertisements for mod-tap connectors,
>so I may be all hosed.

The mod-tap connectors got ya!  They don't always (read 'often') get the
polarity straight from a telephone standards point of view.  A standard for
using modular connectors with rs-232c is in the works that should clear up
much of the mess caused by adhoc "standards" made up by people in need of one!

Vance Shipley                          uucp:  ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!vances
Linton Technology - SwitchView         INTERNET:            vances@egvideo.uucp
180 Columbia Street West                            (soon)  vances@xenitec.uucp
Waterloo, Ontario
CANADA                                                      tel:  (519)746-4460
N2L 3L3                                                     fax:  (519)746-6884