[comp.dcom.telecom] Long Distance Directory Assistance

eli@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Elias) (05/12/89)

this is probably old news to many readers, but you can save a dime on
your 1***5551212 calls by prefixing with 10ATT.  ATT still charges 50 cents
per directory assistance calls...  does anyone know of another carrier
which matches ATTs rate for directory assistance?

steve elias
(eli@spdcc.com)

940se@mather1.af.mil (Pete Brown) (07/25/89)

>Date: Fri, 12 May 89 08:44:31 EDT
>From: Steve Elias <eli@ursa-major.spdcc.com>
>Subject: long distance directory assistance

>this is probably old news to many readers, but you can save a dime on
>your 1***5551212 calls by prefixing with 10ATT.  ATT still charges 50 cents
>per directory assistance calls...  does anyone know of another carrier
>which matches ATTs rate for directory assistance?

This, too, is probably old news, but I have *just* discovered that
one can call long distance information (1-415-555-1212, for example)
*without charge* when the call is made from a Pac Bell coin phone (which
also speaks to AT&T as its default carrier... maybe a coincidence?)

Pete Brown
Mather AFB, CA

halliday@cc.ubc.ca (laura halliday) (07/25/89)

Long distance directory assistance is free here in B.C. For local information
you call 411, as usual, but it will cost you 55 cents (Canadian) if the number
is in the local phone book. Unless you're calling from a pay phone or are
handicapped or it's an emergency, in which case there is no charge.

Long distance directory assistance is free for anywhere in Canada, with no
limit. You are allowed 250 calls per month to U.S. directory assistance
numbers, after which you pay 50 cents per call.

Overseas directory assistance varies with the country. England and France are
free, while they charged me a couple of dollars to get a phone number in South
Africa.

South Africa? That's a story in itself. Rather than send a postcard or some-
thing similarly low-tech when it was Nelson Mandela's 70th birthday last year,
I decided to try phoning him. The people at Polsmoor (where he was being held
at the time) were happy to take a message...

 ...laura

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (07/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0254m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, 940se@mather1.af.mil
(Pete Brown) writes:

> This, too, is probably old news, but I have *just* discovered that
> one can call long distance information (1-415-555-1212, for example)
> *without charge* when the call is made from a Pac Bell coin phone (which
> also speaks to AT&T as its default carrier... maybe a coincidence?)

Perhaps that is true where you live!  Here in NJ, if we dial
1-NPA-555-1212 from a coin telephone, we get a recording telling us
to please depost 50 cents.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net

w0chan01@ULKYVX.BITNET (08/02/89)

  (Pete Brown) writes:

>>this is probably old news to many readers, but you can save a dime on
>>your 1***5551212 calls by prefixing with 10ATT.  ATT still charges 50 cents
>>per directory assistance calls...  does anyone know of another carrier
>>which matches ATTs rate for directory assistance?

[stuff deleted]

In relation to this issue, I would like to present my experiences with
AT&T long distance operator for International calls.

Several months ago, the Hong Kong Telecom had converted all their 6-digit
telephone numbers to 7-digit numbers.  Therefore, all telephone customers
in Hong Kong now have 7-digit numbers.  I called home right after HK Telecom
switched my parents' telephone number, of course, I got the usual message
saying that the number was wrong or disconnected.  Therefore, I called up
the AT&T operator (dialing "00") and asked him whats the problem since
I didn't know the change at that time.  He tried the number for me but got
bounced!  Therefore, he called the directory assistance from HK Telecom
and requested the my parents' new phone number.  The new phone number
worked!  And I did not get a bill from AT&T at all for the following month!

There wasn't any charge when someone request a International directory
assistance service through the AT&T operator.  I think the reason behind was
that there isn't any way for AT&T to get billings from Telephone companies
in other countries.  It is probably very expensive to implement this
billing system I think.

Any comments or corrections will be appreciated!

Wilson Chan, Student Consultant  | UUCP: wchan@cup.portal.com (UUCP only)
Health Sciences Computing Center | BITNET: w0chan01@ulkyvx.bitnet
University of Louisville         | ARPA: w0chan01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Louisville, KY  40292, U.S.A.    | CIS:     74030,2713      GEnie:  W.CHAN