[comp.dcom.telecom] Why we ALL have seven digit numbers

dl@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (07/29/89)

> When we bought the camp, its phone number there was "Eagle Bay 3268."

In 1980, I drove a car out to the left coast. About 40
miles west of Salt Lake City, I stopped to get the oil
changed. There was a Chevron station and some kind of
tourist restaurant. That is ALL. The rest is all sand, or
salt I guess. I noticed the Utah Bell coin slot,
one of the new style (i.e. 1 slot) had a dial blank. The
label on the bottom said "lift receiver, ask operator" on
some such. The number on the center of the dial blank was
	Timparie {sp} 2
I asked the pump jockey, and he said something like
"Oh, yeh, EVERYTHING is LD from here"
I walked over to the greasy spoon, and the coin slot
outside it said
	Timparie 1
on it.

Now, I said, this is the 1980's- ALL telephones have
numbers in the United States. So I looked up the
Teddy Bear Chevron in the book there, and sure enough,

		Ask Operator for Timparie 2
--
   Flash! Murphy gets copyright on sendmail.cf
  {gatech!} wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (305) 255-RTFM

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (08/01/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0265m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
 writes:
>some such. The number on the center of the dial blank was
>	Timparie {sp} 2
>I asked the pump jockey, and he said something like
>"Oh, yeh, EVERYTHING is LD from here"
>I walked over to the greasy spoon, and the coin slot
>outside it said
>	Timparie 1
>on it.
>
>Now, I said, this is the 1980's- ALL telephones have
>numbers in the United States. So I looked up the
>Teddy Bear Chevron in the book there, and sure enough,
>
>		Ask Operator for Timparie 2
>--

I've been there... in 1982, and they seem to have connected those
phones to the DDD network.  We made a call from there, and I'm sure I
would have remembered the setup you described.

The Salt Lake is actually a historical place.  West of the Chevron Station was
a rest area which commemorated the golden spike of telephony -- the meeting of
the first transcontinental telephone cable.

There are also a bunch of "Toll Stations" in the Nevada Bell telephone
book that have to be reached by calling the operator.  I'm looking
forward to visiting some of those areas someday, when I get the time
to do some motorcycling in Nevada.

I've also been to Moosonee.  It's about an 8 hour train ride north of
Cochrane Ontario on the southern tip of Hudson's Bay.  No roads up
that far, and the cars that they have were brought in on the train.
There are people living along the rail line and the train brings them
their newpapers, groceries, drugs, hardware, etc.  They also seem to
be hanging on the phone line that parallels the railroad.  Once in
Moosonee, the phones don't seem to stand out in my memory. We
received an incoming call at the motel (although the caller has passed
away and I can't ask her how she made it) and we returned the call
successfully.  There were pay phones.  They were not direct dial.
I believe that they HAD dials though, and that local switching was
automatic.
					-e

[Note to moderator and Mike Trout:  The stories of reaching Eagle Bay,
and the moderators posting of other barely reachable locations were
yummy.  I encourage the moderator (and all of us) to reminisce
further.]

--
Ed Greenberg
uunet!apple!netcom!edg

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (08/02/89)

> [Note to moderator and Mike Trout:  The stories of reaching Eagle Bay,
> and the moderators posting of other barely reachable locations were
> yummy.  I encourage the moderator (and all of us) to reminisce
> further.]

When I was a student at what is now called Case Western Reserve
University, in Cleveland, back in 1966 or so, I worked part time as
a PBX attendant on the campus switchboard.  (It was an old wooden
board with six operator positions, and fifteen cord circuits per
position.  A room full of step-by-step switching machines completed
the intra-campus calls, and we did the incoming trunks.)  We used to
place all outgoing toll calls for university employees as
operator-assisted calls, so that we could get a call-back with time
and charges, and fill in the toll ticket for the university
accountants.

One day, I was asked to place a call to Purdue University.  The
number we called was Lafayette, Indiana, 6.   We then asked for
extension 2454.

I was really fascinated that a PBX with a four-digit dial plan stood
behind a local DN of a single digit.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net