[comp.dcom.telecom] Long Distance Carrier Sound Comparisons

OLE@csli.stanford.edu (Ole J. Jacobsen) (06/12/89)

Which LD carrier is the best?  I have found that calling the East Coast
from the West Coast almost universially gives you a clear digital circuit
when the call is placed via SPRINT, and almost universally gives you a
cruddy circuit when placed via AT&T. I believe this has to do with capacity,
since John Covert almost always gets great circuits when he calls me via
AT&T in the other direction. At the moment, the improvement in quality is
good enough reason for me to stick with SPRINT for our company lines, but as
soon as AT&T expands their capacity I am willing to reconsider. I think it
is perfectly reasonable for someone to express their opinion on any LD
carrier on this forum, and I wish the people who represent such companies
and read this list would be a little less sensitive and patriotic to their
company whenever anything negative comes up.

Ole

"Make it as ubiquitous as dialtone!"

john@decwrl.dec.com (John Higdon) (06/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0202m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jimmy%denwa.uucp (Jim
Gottlieb) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0197m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> OLE@csli.stanford.edu
> (Ole J. Jacobsen) writes:
>
> >Which LD carrier is the best?  I have found that calling the East Coast
> >from the West Coast almost universially gives you a clear digital circuit
> >when the call is placed via SPRINT, and almost universally gives you a
> >cruddy circuit when placed via AT&T.

> I agree.  I get tired of hearing all the AT&T employees on here who buy
> the company line about their LD being best.  I must say that AT&T's
> digital connections are superb, even surpassing Sprint's, but they are
> still all too rare.

Oh, really. I just made test calls to every out-of-the-way place I
could think of on AT&T and every single one of them was carried
digitally. Even a call to Washington state, the last hold out of analog
connections for AT&T was digital. Or how about St. Marys, KS? Or
Thistle, UT? All digital.

> Let me say that I appreciate the level of service offered by AT&T, and
> this is especially obvious after having to deal with Sprint.  We also
> use nothing but AT&T computers here (even though AT&T doesn't make
> them) because of the great service we get from them.

Just had a modem problem with calls to St. Marys. A call to AT&T
service reached a live person in seconds. My complaint was taken and I
was promptly called back by someone in "network". I told him that my
Trailblazer was having consistent difficulty establishing contact with
another like unit and then he promised to get back to me. Within a
couple of minutes my Trailblazer answered what sounded like a "wrong
number" (no modem at the other end). Later that day, Alan in "network"
called to tell me that the modem levels looked good at each end, so
they were going to turn down the trunks between San Jose and St. Marys
and test them. He told me that the alternate circuits would probably be
OK to use in the interim. They were.

Today he called to tell me that they had found timing problems in the
main circuits that have been repaired and the trunks had been returned
to service.

Contrast that with Sprint, where you can wait 45 minutes just for
someone to answer the phone. Then you talk to someone who takes your
complaint and you never hear anything from them again. If you call back
to check the progress of your complaint, you first have to re-invent
the wheel to get them to acknowledge your first call (AT&T gives you a
ticket number when you first call). Then they either tell you it's all
fixed when it isn't, or they tell you that they could find no trouble
and that it must be your equipment that is to blame. At no time do you
speak to anyone knowledgeable. This fact alone tells me what Sprint
thinks of its customers.

> And I would be willing to pay a little more for that service.  But AT&T
> LD is not a little more, and they are decidedly inflexible.  I always
> give them a chance when we are re-evaluating LD service, but because
> they won't let us combine all our locations for a quantity discount
> (unless we pay a $2500 monthly fee), they are just way too expensive.

Too bad. It really is superior.

> Not to mention those analog connections...

Not any more.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

gene@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Gene R. Trindell) (06/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0207m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, apple!zygot!john@decwrl.
dec.com (John Higdon) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0202m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jimmy%denwa.uucp (Jim
> Gottlieb) writes:

> Oh, really. I just made test calls to every out-of-the-way place I
> could think of on AT&T and every single one of them was carried
> digitally. Even a call to Washington state, the last hold out of analog
> connections for AT&T was digital. Or how about St. Marys, KS? Or
> Thistle, UT? All digital.

Naive question time:  How do you tell if a line is digital or analog ?

--
Gene R. Trindell  |            UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!gt5000!gene
UNISYS            |               ARPA: gene @ gt5000.uucp

john@decwrl.dec.com (John Higdon) (07/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0220m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, wa3wbu!gt5000!gene@
wb3ffv.ampr.org (Gene R. Trindell) writes:
> Naive question time:  How do you tell if a line is digital or analog ?

Easy. Analog repeaters generate noise known as "hiss". After a couple
of hundred miles or so, their presence is quite noticable. Complete
absence of noise on the call, therefore, would be a strong indication
that on a 1000 mile call, the bulk of the mileage is being covered by
digital transmission. No, there are no "noise free" analog circuits in
long distance telephony.

jimmy%denwa.uucp@eecs.nwu.edu (Jim Gottlieb) (07/22/89)

(Ole J. Jacobsen) writes:

>Which LD carrier is the best?  I have found that calling the East Coast
>from the West Coast almost universially gives you a clear digital circuit
>when the call is placed via SPRINT, and almost universally gives you a
>cruddy circuit when placed via AT&T.

I agree.  I get tired of hearing all the AT&T employees on here who buy
the company line about their LD being best.  I must say that AT&T's
digital connections are superb, even surpassing Sprint's, but they are
still all too rare.

Recently, when I mentioned to an AT&T rep that I used Sprint, his
(obviously canned) response was, "Oh, you like fiber optics?  Well,
AT&T _invented_ fiber optics."  I explained to him that I didn't care
who invented it; I just want a clear, loud connection when making
calls.

Let me say that I appreciate the level of service offered by AT&T, and
this is especially obvious after having to deal with Sprint.  We also
use nothing but AT&T computers here (even though AT&T doesn't make
them) because of the great service we get from them.

And I would be willing to pay a little more for that service.  But AT&T
LD is not a little more, and they are decidedly inflexible.  I always
give them a chance when we are re-evaluating LD service, but because
they won't let us combine all our locations for a quantity discount
(unless we pay a $2500 monthly fee), they are just way too expensive.

Not to mention those analog connections...
--
                              Jim Gottlieb
  E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
         V-Mail: (213) 551-7702  Fax: 478-3060  The-Real-Me: 824-5454

amanda@uunet.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/02/89)

jimmy%denwa.uucp@eecs.nwu.edu (Jim Gottlieb) writes:
> And I would be willing to pay a little more for that service.  But AT&T
> LD is not a little more, and they are decidedly inflexible.

I agree on the inflexibility point, but AT&T LD rates are still regulated,
and every time AT&T proposes a LD rate decrease, MCI, US Sprint, and National
Telecom protest it, saying it's "predatory," or "unfair competition."  I think
that if the market is going to be opened to competition, AT&T should be
allowed to compete too.

You can't have it both ways...

--
Amanda Walker