[comp.dcom.telecom] Rotary-dial Encoding

euatdt@euas11g.ericsson.se (Torsten Dahlkvist) (07/31/89)

Talking about which numbers to dial for operator and so on, how many different
designs of rotary-dials were there? I'm not talking about "fashion" phones
whith strange looks, I mean the encoding of "digit" to "number-of-pulses".

I know of at least three patterns and I'm curious as to whether there are
more or not and exactly where the different systems have been used. If the
subject has been handled before I would appreiciate E-mail with copies of
the relevant articles.

First of all: the "normal" - the Bell-system, used _practically_ everywhere
     (n)-dialling; the digit "1" sends one pulse and so on up 'til 9. "0"=>10.

Secondly: "Swedish" dialling. Does anyone else use this?
     (n+1)-dialling; "0" sends one pulse, "1" sends two... "9" sends 10 pulses.

Third: "Oslo" dialling (the Norwegian Capital is different from the rest of the
country. Historical reasons?):
     (10-n)-dialling (or is it (10-(n+1))?); The dial works "backwards" and
     looks quite funny to the newcomer. I'm not sure if the coding is 1=>10,
     2=>9...0=>1 or 0=>10, 1=>9... 9=>1. Somebody out there to fill me in?

One possible explanation for the "Oslo" system would be that the digits could
be located like the hours on a clock face - more familiar to the user. Is this
true or just another modern myth? Has this scheme been used elsewhere? (I have
an unverified source saying it's been found somewhere in New Zeeland. Correct?)

When Sweden went automatic, starting in the 40's I think and finishing in the
60's, the (n+1) scheme was chosen. Two possible reasons have been told to me.
Since they are in no way contradictory, they _may_ both be valid and/or just
unplanned spin-offs. Or myths.

     First: The zero was deemed the most "important" digit, beeing (at the
     time) used to call the operator and already destined to prefix
     long-distance calls. Also, the zero is (marginally) more frequent than the
     nine in any set of numbers. If you have a local exchange with (for
     example) a three digit numbering plan, you'd start by giving the first
     subscriber number 100 (or 101). You then go on to fill the numbers, but
     you (probably) never reach 999 until it's time to expand the entire
     system. This way, the one through (whichever hundreds you reach) will be
     most frequent followed by the zero and finally by the "remaining" digits.
     There _may_ be advantages to having a more frequent digit sending a
     shorter code.

     Second: By having zero (a single pulse) to reach the operator, a user on
     a newly converted line could use his old phone (lacking a dial) to reach
     the operator by tapping the hook briefly. This is probably mythical since
     phones were at this time telco property and they presumably changed them
     all at the time of converting the line.

There's been a lot of talk about the different small US local admins of early
years. Did any of them go automatic or were they all manual? If any went
automatic, did they all choose the Bell dialling codes?

/Torsten

 Torsten Dahlkvist                        ! "I am not now, nor have I ever
 ELLEMTEL Telecommunication Laboratories  !  been, intimately related to
 P.O. Box 1505, S-125 25  ALVSJO, SWEDEN  !  Dweezil Zappa!"
 Tel: +46 8 727 3788                      !        - "Wierd" Al Yankowitz

mark@motown.altair.fr (08/02/89)

euatdt@euas11g.ericsson.se (Torsten Dahlkvist) writes of "Oslo" dialling:
>     (10-n)-dialling (or is it (10-(n+1))?); The dial works "backwards" and
>     looks quite funny to the newcomer. I'm not sure if the coding is 1=>10,
>     2=>9...0=>1 or 0=>10, 1=>9... 9=>1.
      . . .
> (I have an unverified source saying it's been found somewhere in New
> Zealand. Correct?)

That is correct; not only "somewhere" but all of New Zealand uses a
10-n pulse code: 9 gives 1 pulse, 8=>2 ... 0=>10.  Most emergency
numbers end in 999.  I believe Australia uses the same system.

Now, of course, most new phones use tones, but even here the tone
codes are different from those used elsewhere.  New Zealand Telecom
did this on purpose, of course.  When international pressure forced
the government to abrogate Telecom's monopoly of telecommunications
equipment manufacture, the bureaucrats made sure that few competitors
would bother making their phones or modems work with the weird local
standard.  For this reason, even 300-baud modems still cost the
equivalent of over $100 US.

####### Mark James ######### opinions, errors etc are my own #######
####### mark@bdblues.inria.fr ######### +33 (1) 39 63 53 93 ########

wtho@uunet.uu.net (Tom Hofmann) (08/03/89)

 From article <telecom-v09i0266m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, by euatdt@euas11g.
ericsson.se (Torsten Dahlkvist):
> Third: "Oslo" dialling (the Norwegian Capital is different from the
> rest of the country. Historical reasons?):
>      (10-n)-dialling (or is it (10-(n+1))?); The dial works "backwards" and
>      looks quite funny to the newcomer. I'm not sure if the coding is 1=>10,
>      2=>9...0=>1 or 0=>10, 1=>9... 9=>1. Somebody out there to fill me in?

I recall it is the latter: 0=>10, 1=>9... 9=>1.

An other apparently not standardized feature is the keypad layout of
push-button phones.  In central Europe it is
        1 2 3
        4 5 6
        7 8 9
          0

It can be confusing since it is not the same layout as for calculators.
I think in parts of Scandinavia (Sweden?) it is homogeneous:

        7 8 9
        4 5 6
        1 2 3
          0

Can someone confirm that?  Are there any other layouts?  Special keypad
for Oslo?  Mirror-image layout on the southern hemisphere?

Tom Hofmann          wtho@cgch.UUCP

wtho@cs.utexas.edu (Tom Hofmann) (08/03/89)

 From article <telecom-v09i0266m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, by euatdt@euas11g.