[comp.dcom.telecom] Rolm -- the PBX with a "conscience"?

wales@cs.ucla.edu (08/04/89)

The recent mention of Rolm PBXs reminded me of one of Rolm's radio
commercials several years ago.

This was one of those "cutesy" commercials with funny sound effects to
illustrate each of their points (sort of like how AT&T's ads for their
new distinctive "bong-chime-AT&T" sound illustrate the concept of a
"friendly" sound by having someone say "Y-y-y-yo, it's AT&T!").

One of the selling points in Rolm's radio commercials was that their
equipment had a "conscience".  This point was punctuated by a "ding"
from a little bell, followed by a soft "this is your conscience" female
voice saying, "Is that a *personal* call?"

Now, obviously, I realize that Rolm PBX's never *really* went "ding"
and asked "Is that a *personal* call?" :-}  But can anyone out there
tell me exactly what Rolm's "conscience" feature really was?  Was it
something as mundane as a printed log of every number called from every
extension -- so that a manager could go through the list later on and
inquire about calls to unfamiliar phone numbers?

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
"K-9, I think we're going to find out what it's like to be a cricket ball."

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) (08/04/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0273m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, wales@cs.ucla.edu writes:
> voice saying, "Is that a *personal* call?"
>
> Now, obviously, I realize that Rolm PBX's never *really* went "ding"
> and asked "Is that a *personal* call?" :-}  But can anyone out there
> tell me exactly what Rolm's "conscience" feature really was?  Was it
> something as mundane as a printed log of every number called from every
> extension -- so that a manager could go through the list later on and
> inquire about calls to unfamiliar phone numbers?

I don't know what Rolm's "conscience" was, but practically every PBX
and large key system sold in America comes with an SMDR port.  The
SMDR (Station Message Detail Recording) port generates information about
individual calls made to and from the PBX.  This information is usually
in ASCII, but not always, so you can hook up a serial printer and get
a listing of all the calls that are made.  If this port is hooked up
to a computer, you can run a call accounting system which will read
the "raw" call records and estimate the price of the call, look up the
destination of the call and store the call in a database.  Reports are
run and guarenteed somebody looks at them.

Some of these call accounting systems will even pick out individual
numbers and rather than list the geographical destination, will list
the actual station who the phone is registered to.
ie. 1 (305) 555-1234 Kevin's Grandma

Within AT&T, these reports are distributed to department heads who
then are at liberty to do whatever they want with them.

Kevin L. Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs
Disclaimer - The ideas here are my own, not my employer's.