[comp.dcom.telecom] 555-XXXX As A Valid Prefix Anywhere?

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (07/27/89)

Lisa Smith (lisa@mips.com) wrote the following in an article in
(the Usenet newsgroup) rec.humor.d:

> That prefix, 555, isn't fictional everywhere.  One of my school friends
> said that his grandfather's phone number, somewhere in South Dakota, is
> a 555 number.  He said that it was to his knowledge the only place in
> the U.S. that it was a real prefix though.

Someone else said that if this was ever true it isn't now.
What do the experts say?

--
Mark Brader			"Well, I didn't completely test it, and
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		 of course there was a power failure the

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) (07/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0259m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, msb@sq.sq.com (Mark
Brader) writes:
> Lisa Smith (lisa@mips.com) wrote the following in an article in
> (the Usenet newsgroup) rec.humor.d:
>
> > That prefix, 555, isn't fictional everywhere.  One of my school friends
> > said that his grandfather's phone number, somewhere in South Dakota, is
> > a 555 number.  He said that it was to his knowledge the only place in
> > the U.S. that it was a real prefix though.
>
> Someone else said that if this was ever true it isn't now.
> What do the experts say?

I don't know if I would qualify myself as an expert, but I have a listing
of every prefix in the North American Dialing Area and there is no
exchange which uses 555 as a prefix.  (Some parts of the listing are
a couple of years old, so I guess that it's not really complete.  Other
parts, however, are very much up to date.)

Kevin L. Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs

Disclaimer - This information has absolutely nothing to do with my
position with AT&T.

[Moderator's Note: On a hunch, after the first message on this topic appeared,
I tried dialing 701-555-various in North Dakota. Most combinations other
than '1212' were answered 'Northwestern Bell, may I help you?'   PT]

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (08/02/89)

> Lisa Smith (lisa@mips.com) wrote the following in an article in
> (the Usenet newsgroup) rec.humor.d:

> That prefix, 555, isn't fictional everywhere.  One of my school friends
> said that his grandfather's phone number, somewhere in South Dakota, is
> a 555 number.  He said that it was to his knowledge the only place in
> the U.S. that it was a real prefix though.
> Someone else said that if this was ever true it isn't now.
> What do the experts say?

> [Moderator's Note: On a hunch, after the first message on this topic
> appeared, I tried dialing 701-555-various in North Dakota. Most
> combinations other than '1212' were answered 'Northwestern Bell, may I help
> you?'   PT]

Why did you try in NORTH Dakota?

[Moderator's Note: No particular reason....just some at random dialing.
I notice that Illinois Bell has quite a few numbers <>1212 plugged off now.
F'rinstance, anyplace-555-8000, 555-7000 all go to immediate intercept.
There are a few in the 'vicinity of' 1212 which wander off to the boondocks
somewhere, as in the 701 example.

--
Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com
	"I'm a little worried about the bug-eater," she said.  "We're embedded

johnw@gatech.edu (John Wheeler) (08/02/89)

in reference to:
>[Moderator's Note: On a hunch, after the first message on this topic appeared,
>I tried dialing 701-555-various in North Dakota. Most combinations other
>than '1212' were answered 'Northwestern Bell, may I help you?'   PT]

This is the kind of thing that peaks my now-mostly-dormant-hacker's-
curiosity as to: Is there an assignment, internally, of 555- numbers
to inward operators or some such? Or, do they all rollover to 555-1212...
what a waste of numbers if they do...
--
		  Turner                                       John Wheeler
     E N T E R T A I N M E N T     ...!gatech!nanovx!techwood!johnw

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (08/04/89)

Brader) writes:
> Lisa Smith (lisa@mips.com) wrote the following in an article in
> (the Usenet newsgroup) rec.humor.d:
>
> > That prefix, 555, isn't fictional everywhere.  One of my school friends
> > said that his grandfather's phone number, somewhere in South Dakota, is
> > a 555 number.  He said that it was to his knowledge the only place in
> > the U.S. that it was a real prefix though.
>
> Someone else said that if this was ever true it isn't now.
> What do the experts say?

The 555 prefix isn't fictional; it's "reserved for special use"; e.g.
directory assistance.  To quote my favorite source, _Notes on the BOC
Intra-LATA Networks -- 1986_ (TR-NPL-000275, April 1986):  "In general,
the assignment of CO codes within an NPA is handled by the serving
BOC...  Each assignment should be made ... to the extent that it is
feasible in accordance with the following guidelines regarding the
sequence of assignment:  (1) First-choice codes for CO assignment
purposes include all NNX type codes, excluding NN0 codes, and the
following seven codes that are currently reserved for special use:

"555 -- Toll Directory Assistance
 844 -- Time Service
 936 -- Weather Service
 950 -- Access to Interexchange Carriers under FG (Feature Group) B
        access arrangements
 958 -- Plant Test
 959 -- Plant Test
 976 -- Information Delivery Service"

In other words -- they're not fictional, but it is recommended that they
not be assigned to users.  Of course, local telcos (including BOCs, but
particularly independents) are free to ignore the recommendations.

--
David G Lewis				...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej

			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."