[comp.dcom.telecom] New 800 Service Working Well

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (08/03/89)

I decided to sign up for the Residential 800 service offered by Teleconnect*
USA. Thus far in my limited experience, it seems to be working okay. The
transmission quality is good, and the calls come through reasonably fast,
but they are not processed quite as fast as other similar services. I have
noticed maybe a fifteen second delay from the time dialing is complete until
the ringing starts.

The 800 number works from anywhere in the continental USA. The cost is $2.75
per month to maintain the number, and 29/22 cents per minute day/night rate.
The best use of the system is to receive short (one or two minute) calls,
then call back dial direct for continued conversation. For calls of one
or two minutes, it is less expensive than the surcharge added to AT&T cards.
But if you have the Call Me option tied into Reach Out, then the Call Me
option becomes less expensive on calls of longer duration, since the price
would only be 13 cents per minute at night (once you have absorbed the
surcharge per month into the total cost.)

There is no limit to the number of 800 calls which can be received at one
time except for whatever limit there is on your incoming calls.

For more information on obtaining a personal 800 number, call Teleconnect*
USA at 1-800-728-7000. They charge ten dollars to set up the account.

Patrick Townson

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (08/03/89)

A Florida based carrier Telus (800-330-0000) also offers 800 service.
They only charge $2.50/mo 25.6/19.5 cents with no connection charge.

dlr@daver.uu.net (Dave Rand) (08/04/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0271m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
(TELECOM Moderator) writes:
>I decided to sign up for the Residential 800 service offered by Teleconnect*
>USA. Thus far in my limited experience, it seems to be working okay. The
>[deleted]
>The 800 number works from anywhere in the continental USA. The cost is $2.75
>per month to maintain the number, and 29/22 cents per minute day/night rate.

This plan sounds like exactly what I want, except I would like to receive
calls from Canada as well. Does anyone know of a residential 800 service
that covers Canada as well? I talked to Teleconnect (800-728-7000), but
they have no plans to cover Canada.

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|hoptoad|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.uu.net

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (08/05/89)

I am also a Teleconnect*USA 800 subscriber.  As a side note, you can
request numbers that spell something.  For example, my number is
1-800-PATIENT (Please don't call it to verify!).  The special number
cost me only $100.  Some numbers however are considered to be in
demand and may cost as high as $1000.

Note that this is a one-time charge and the number is yours forever.

- Brian Jay Gould  :: INTERNET gould@pilot.njin.net                       -
-                     UUCP rutgers!njin!gould   Telephone  (201) 329-9616 -
-                     BITNET gould@jvncc        Facsimile  (201) 329-9616 -
- Vice President, Systems Integration    ---   Network Design Corporation -