[comp.dcom.telecom] Dilemma Choosing Right PBX for Office

jajz801@calstate.bitnet (08/06/89)

We are planning to upgrade to a small PBX from a keyed system (the old 5
button clunkers) and have looked at AT&T's offerings. In particular they
have one that is 'digital' (Merlin) and one analog (?). Is there any reason
to choose among these, or others, with respect to use with modems or faxes ?

Does the digital imply it can be used as an interconnect media for computers ?

Jeff Sicherman
jajz801@calstate.bitnet

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) (08/07/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0276m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jajz801@calstate.bitnet
writes:
> We are planning to upgrade to a small PBX from a keyed system (the old 5
> button clunkers) and have looked at AT&T's offerings. In particular they
> have one that is 'digital' (Merlin) and one analog (?). Is there any reason
> to choose among these, or others, with respect to use with modems or faxes ?

> Does the digital imply it can be used as an interconnect media for computers?

I guess that digital would imply that it can be used for computers.
There are two types of Merlin systems.  One is analog (Plus) and the
other is digital (Merlin II).  The Merlin II can be used for asynch.
transmission.

I'm not a sales rep or even an expert on Merlin.  Talk to a knowledgable
AT&T sales rep for the full scoop on data connectivity with a Merlin II.

Kevin L. Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs
Disclaimer -  Usual stuff.