[comp.dcom.telecom] Pair Usage

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (08/05/89)

Back when I was installing key systems, I discovered something interesting
in the Pasadena (CA.) area - it might be a local trick, or might be standard
(but I didn't find it in Arcadia, or Alhambra or anywhere else).

If a business had a Ma Bell installed 1A2 system, the pole drop cable was
either 6 or 12 pairs.  If it was underground it was at least 25.

Now comes the cute trick.  The local ring generator was connected to the
last pair, if it wasn't used for a incoming line.

I don't know why, the only use I can conjecture is to determine if the customer
had a power failure without a inside premise visit...  I never climbed the
pole to see if it was terminated there or ran to the CO - I can't imagine it
did as it would be a waste of pairs.  I didn't have a key for the ground level
junction block cabinets, so was unable to check there.

Pasadena also had a cute trick - the telephone poles in back of the local
Burger King, MacDonalds, Winchells Donuts, etc had lockboxes at shoulder
height with a 1-pair protector in them, and was connected to a ringdown to
the test board.  It was quite common to see a telco truck parked next to the
pole with a tech standing there, butt set to his ear and munching on lunch...
Again, never saw it anywhere else.  Don't know if it is still in use, as I
don't have a Warner-Bohannon key.

Likewise the GTE Sierra Madre exchange (818-355) (which went from SxS to EAX
a couple of years ago) was the only one I ever saw which allowed the user to
lease a pair to the CO and have a hunting defeat switch on the side of the
receptionist's phone.  The customer was a MD and had 3 incoming lines and one
answering machine for after-hours calls.  When the office was closed,
the machine was on and hunting was defeated.  Interestingly he had a 25-pair
underground cable into the building (3 storefronts, 1 story and a common
equipment room) and only the first 9 pairs were in use for incoming lines,
and the hunting defeat switch was connected to the last pair.

This was also the exchange which had 3 ring plants on the SxS, probably
a leftover from the party line days.   A friend's house had phones in each
of 3 bedrooms, the living room, and the kitchen.  An incoming call would
ring _sequentially_ in various rooms - I discovered that the house had a
mix of 20hz, 30hz and 16hz (I think - this is 15 years ago!) ringers and
the CO would sequence them down the line - while feeding one ringback to
the caller.

Mike Morris
UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
#Include quote.cute.standard   | The opinions above probably do not even come
cat flames.all > /dev/null     | close to those of my employer(s), if any.

vances@xenitec.uucp (Vance Shipley) (08/08/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0274m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> Mike Morris <morris@jade.
jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

>Likewise the GTE Sierra Madre exchange (818-355) (which went from SxS to EAX
>a couple of years ago) was the only one I ever saw which allowed the user to
>lease a pair to the CO and have a hunting defeat switch on the side of the
>receptionist's phone.  The customer was a MD and had 3 incoming lines and one
>answering machine for after-hours calls.  When the office was closed,
>the machine was on and hunting was defeated. ...

This is/was quite common here in Ontario.  'Break hunt' is a tarriffed service
offering. In a DID situation it is quite common to have a "power fail" pair
back to the central office.  When the pbx is down (power fail, reload, etc.)
the central office is alerted by the lack of (or presence of, depending on
local engineering) -48 volts on this pair.  Incoming calls for the DID lines
are either presented with overflow or re-routed to any incoming trunks they
have.

Vance Shipley                          uucp:  ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!vances
Linton Technology - SwitchView         INTERNET:            vances@egvideo.uucp
180 Columbia Street West                            (soon)  vances@xenitec.uucp
Waterloo, Ontario                                           fax:  (519)746-6884
CANADA  N2L 3L3                                             tel:  (519)746-4460