[comp.dcom.telecom] Non-Dialable Points

gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gabe M Wiener) (08/07/89)

Recently it was mentioned that there are thousands of non-dialable points
left in California.  Just out of curiosity...

	What cities (or should I say villages) are still-non dialable?
	Do such places have outbound dialing or is all calling
		still operator-assist?

I would think that with today's telephone technology, DDD would reach _all_
points in America.  Can anyone explain the holdouts?

Thanks,

-G

[Moderator's Note:  Mr. Covert's article recent article stating 'there are
thousands of non-dialable points' also caught my attention. If he was
including toll-stations in his count, I'd say there might be a couple hundred
such places; if his calculations were only of manual exchange service, which
all of us were at one point and few (if any) of us are now, it defies my
imagination that there are 'thousands of them left....especially in
California...'. If there are thousands of them, perhaps Mr. Covert will
write an article and name just a dozen or so. Even a lot of the Nevada toll-
stations have been picked up by other exchanges in the recent past, but
toll-stations are NOT the same as manual exchanges in any event.   PT]

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert) (08/08/89)

In my recent article on Inward, I referred to "non-dialable points."  That term
includes non-dialable exchanges, toll stations, and other strange things.

To check my numbers, I did a search of a Bellcore database about four years old
for points in North America with the non-dialable flag set, and came up with
4589 of them.  I then excluded Mexico and had 1657 left.

After excluding the Caribbean, Canada, Wake and Midway, there were only 825
left, so I'll admit that "thousands" was an exaggeration when referring to the
U.S.  They are located in AK, AZ, CA, ID, KY, LA, MT, NV, OR, TX, UT, and WA.
Most of them are toll stations, but a few are exchanges.

For the doubting ones among you, call 206 555-1212 and ask for the Ross Lake
Nat'l Rec Area in Newhalem, Washington.  You will be told to dial your "0"
operator (Outside the LATA you'd have to call your "00" operator or 10288-0 if
you're not an AT&T customer) and ask for Newhalem 7735.  This is an automatic
exchange which cannot support incoming toll calls.  Local calls are dialled on
a four digit basis.  The incoming restriction may be due to a long-standing
requirement that calls be diallable on a seven digit basis locally (also
allowing less is ok, but seven must work) before incoming calls can be
permitted.  It may also have something to do with the fact that the power
company owns the switch and the wires in and out of the area, and the phone
company may not want to deal with the maintenance issue or doesn't trust them
to return proper answer supervision.

More interesting is the system in Shoup, Idaho.  Call 208 555-1212 and ask for
the Shoup Salmon River store -- you'll be told to call Shoup 24F3. It is what's
called a "Farmer's Line," and it's sort of a single magneto drop with several
stations.  The people out there maintain the line themselves.  It's single wire
ground return.  The people on the line call each other with coded ringing (and
being allowed to make local calls is one of the things that makes a farmer's
line different from a toll station). They get incoming calls with coded ringing
from the operator at a cord board.  They contact the cord board to get out with
a loooooong ring.  The board handling calls is an AT&T board.

One of my favorite toll stations is the one at the ranch of a person I've never
met.  Mr. J. D. Dye isn't listed with directory assistance anywhere I've found,
but he is listed right in the Bellcore database.  Yep.  He doesn't have a phone
number, but you can reach him by asking for DYE J D, in Texas, if you can get
an operator to look it up in her computer.  Note: Rate and Route, which used
to be 141 (not 131, as Patrick claimed, that was information) is gone, and has
been replaced with computer terminals at each operator's position.  Somewhere
nearby there are also Durham Ed, TX and Durham Hal, TX.

A place I've actually visited (the Patrick Creek Lodge in Gasquet, CA) used to
be Idlewild 5.  They appear to have disconnected their toll station and now
have an answering machine on a normal number located 8 miles from the lodge.
Idlewild 1,2,3,4,7,8, and 9 still exist -- and are handled off of an AT&T cord
board, not a PacTel board.

One of the big non-dialable places in Northern California, Sawyers Bar, has
finally become diallable.  Like Newhalem, they had local dialing, but could
not be dialled from toll.  They were listed in the database like toll stations,
with each subscriber having a rate and route listing.  Now their old four digit
numbers (mostly 46XX numbers) are 462-46XX.

Pilottown, Louisiana is still a toll station -- the only one in the state, it
seems.

Amchitka, Alaska, has a normal looking seven digit number for billing purposes:
907 751-8001, but from the lower 48, calls must be placed through Anchorage.

I'm sure some of our other readers can find more non-diallable points, both
entire exchanges (of which I don't expect to find more than 5-10 in the U.S.)
and toll stations (of which there are still several hundred).

/john

[Moderator's Note: Bravo! and thank you for a most enjoyable contribution
to the Digest.  PT]

ceb@csli.stanford.edu (Charles Buckley) (08/08/89)

   From: gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gabe M Wiener)
   Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
   Date: 6 Aug 89 20:59:16 GMT

   Recently it was mentioned that there are thousands of non-dialable points
   left in California.  Just out of curiosity...

I remember about 6 years ago when I was in the habit of getting up
early and watching one of those morning news programs where the
weather, feature articles and good-natured banter took longer than the
news portions . . .

One feature article on said program was about the introduction of dial
service in some out of the way place east of Eastern Pennsylvania but
west of Ohio, and south of the great Lakes but north of Tennessee -
I remember seeing it on the drawn map, but cannot remember the
political entity.

Anyway, as you might have guessed, this made the program because it was
given to be the *last* manual exchange in the US.  Therefore, someone
has their facts wrong (could well be the news agency).

[Moderator's Note: Every so often, a program or news story says 'this is
the last one'....there was supposed to be one in Maine a few years ago
which was the last, and the subscribers were *resisting* the change, for
nostalgic reasons among others. The original poster contended '...there
are thousands of them left....especially in California....' and I am hoping
he will write again soon, and name a dozen or so. The last one I knew of
in California was the town of Avalon, on Santa Catalina Island. It cut to
dial several years ago. Prior to the conversion, William Wrigley, the
chewing gum magnate and former owner of the Chicago Cubs, had an estate in
Avalon. The phone number was Avalan 400. He also had Avalan 401.  Both were
non-published numbers, of course.   PT]

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (08/09/89)

>toll-stations are NOT the same as manual exchanges in any event.   PT]

Could you explain a bit about what a toll station IS?

Thanks,

Ed Greenberg
uunet!apple!netcom!edg

[Moderator's Note: In this issue of the Digest, Ed and others, I hope the
type of service known as Toll Stations and other types of non-dialable
points has become clear to all. As for *actual manual exchanges* -- that
is, cord board service to a community of more than one or two people in
the wilderness somewhere -- I do believe Bryant Pond, ME was the last one.
Mr. Covert seems to think there might be a few more. Can anyone name
names at this point?  An interesting angle is the way calls to these
places show up on your phone bill. The billing will show the area code
and the 'mark', meaning the three digit code -- not necessarily the prefix
of the number -- used for billing purposes, and the final four digits,
filled with leading zeros as required. PT]

onymouse@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John DeBert) (08/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0277m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.
edu (Gabe M Wiener) says:
> Recently it was mentioned that there are thousands of non-dialable points
> left in California.  Just out of curiosity...

If one were to include toll stations, non-coin and COPT phones and other
lines or services with a COS that prevents indial access (including
OUTWATS of course), then there are surely thousands not only in CA but
everywhere.

> 	What cities (or should I say villages) are still-non dialable?
> 	Do such places have outbound dialing or is all calling
> 		still operator-assist?

On the Central Coast, I can only recall of one set of toll stations that
remain: Tassajara Hot Springs has somewhere from 4 to 9 stations.
There was one to the east of SIllyCon Valley called "San Antone" which
belonged to Pac Bell. The area served by the toll stations was taken
over by a private party in 1983 ( +/- a year). They have their own
prefix (408-897) and DDD in and out is available. They have a few
equipment problems, though, including coin stations that are installed
but never work. It's anywhere from 20 to 60 miles to the nearest town
or point with coin phones.

> I would think that with today's telephone technology, DDD would reach _all_
> points in America.  Can anyone explain the holdouts?

Toll stations usually still exist because the phone company does not feel
that there is enough reason to justify installing cables, trunks and
remote facilities to serve such remote areas as Tassajara Hot Springs and
San Antone and others. They are a long way from existing CO's - Tassajara
sites are more than 50 miles from the nearest CO and all points in San
Antone are 20 to 70 miles from the nearest 408 CO in San Jose. (The
present CO is in Patterson, in the 209 area about 40 miles from the middle
of San Antone.) That's a lot of money to invest in an area that is very
sparsely populated and with no expected increase in population in the
near future and cannot be considered to pay for itself.

Small independent telco's often end up providing service using very old
equipment as is the case with SAn Antone and Pinnacles in CA.