[comp.dcom.telecom] Can There Be 'Fake' 911 In Rural Areas?

DT5Y@cornella.bitnet (Peter Fleszar) (08/08/89)

Hello net_peoples, I have a question concerning 911 laws and practices
and the meaning of life in general.  Some of us know that some huge
metropolises such as Ithaca have no 911 service, and that anyone who
dials 911 on a phone in such benighted areas as this is given to the
regular telephone company operator off in the Twilight Zone somewhere.
Now, small counties like Tompkins (Ithaca) and Cortland (nearby, where I
live) typically have a centralized dispatcher for fire and ambulance,
usually accessible from one phone number in the entire county.  The
dispatcher also can call out on the inter-agency police frequency and
(in Cortland at least) can call on the sheriff's and city police
frequencies (yes, two, one for each. Imagine! :-) ).  Now, what is wrong
with telling the local telco to route 911 calls to the Fire Control
dispatcher instead of the telephone operator? (Other than that it makes
too much sense, of course...)  There was an unfortunate incident here
last year when someone who had just arrived from New York City was being
threatened - she called 911 like she was taught back in grade school,
but it took something like 90 minutes for the cry for help to circulate
among the telebureaucrats and police agencies.  But the city police did
arrive - just in time to call the coroner.  I realize that the 911
cobbing together I envision would not be a complete substitute for a
'real' 911 dispatching system, but why wouldn't it make a good
alternative for travelers and others ignorant of the 'proper' numbers?

Pete

N. Peter Fleszar, KB2CCL       dt5y@cornella.bitnet
dt5y@cornella.cit.cornell.edu
'Always peek before you poke.'
Acknowledge-To: <DT5Y@CORNELLA>

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (08/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0280m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, DT5Y@cornella.bitnet
(Peter Fleszar) writes:

>Hello net_peoples, I have a question concerning 911 laws and practices
>and the meaning of life in general.  Some of us know that some huge
>metropolises such as Ithaca have no 911 service, and that anyone who

Heck, we don't have it in Albany/Schenectady/Troy!  Albany itself is
over 100,000 in population, and the Tri-City Area is around a quarter
million.

I just checked the front pages of the phone book, and they have 7-digit
numbers listed for the local police departments.  The only exception in
this area is Saratoga County, which set up an Enhanced 911 system last
year.  Calls to 911 generate a name/address display on a computer
terminal at the dispatcher's end.  However, many towns in Saratoga are
rural, and people didn't have street numbers, just RFD-type addresses.
So first they had to try and find everybody, and assign them street
numbers and addresses, so emergency workers would have someplace to
show up at.  (Recently, officials have been complaining, too, that
people are not using the 911 system enough, considering the expense the
County went to to do it.  They speculate that people don't think their
emergencies are important enough to use it!)

A slightly humorous incident happened due to Albany's lack of 911
service.  Around 6 years ago, I was working at the Albany Urban Renewal
Agency, a unit of the city government which is located in a building
other than city hall.  All City offices were on the same PBX, however.
One time an employee at Urban Renewal accidentally sprayed her eyes
with an aerosol glue can, and one of the ladies who staffed the phones
decided to call the Fire Rescue Squad.  Well, she did what she thought
was the quickest thing--dial 'O'.  This connected her to the City Hall
Operator, who was told that the Fire Department was needed at Urban
Renewal.  Well, the City Hall operators were probably little old ladies
who had been hired thanks to their husbands' political backgrounds, and
had never even set foot at Urban Renewal.  For whatever reason,
they told the Fire Department to go to 119 Washington Avenue, instead
of the correct address of 155.  Well, 119 had been a city-owned
building, and they HAD considered locating Urban Renewal there years
previously, but it ended up as some other offices, with a McDonalds on
the ground floor.

A few of us decided to go out on the sidewalk in order to guide the
rescue workers to the right office, but instead we saw a fire truck
pass us by, heading down to the McDonalds.  We didn't know if it was
meant for us, or if there was a fire down there.  It just so
happened that one of my co-workers was coming back from lunch, saw us
running around, and figured something was wrong.  So he waved down a
cop who happened to be passing, who said the call had been for 119
Washington Avenue.  At this point the woman who had come out of the
building with me started yelling, "No, we never moved there.  They just
thought about moving us there!" Finally, we convinced the cop that the
fire truck was supposed to be responding to us, and he relayed the
information by radio.

Luckily, the woman with the glue hadn't really been injured
badly--mainly, she had glued her eyelids shut, but because she couldn't
see, she had thought she'd blinded herself.  She was treated briefly at
the Emergency Room, and was back at work the next day.

When you consider that this scenario could have involved some actual
disaster, you can see how important 911 can be.

--
"MAN USES TAPE TO STICK              Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 HIS TOE BACK ON!"

amanda@uunet.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0281m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, davef@brspyr1.brs.com
(Dave Fiske) writes:
> [incident with rescue squad being sent to the wrong address]
> When you consider that this scenario could have involved some actual
> disaster, you can see how important 911 can be.

Even so, there's still the possibility for human error--there was a sad
story on the DC news recently about a person who died because the ambulance
that had been dispatched on the 911 call was sent to the wrong quadrant of
the city (NE instead of NW).

(For those of you who aren't familiar with DC, most addresses occur 4 times,
so you have to tack the quadrant [NW/NE/SE/SW] onto the address to fully
specify a location.)

Luckily, most cities are laid out a little less symmetrically than DC...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation