[comp.dcom.telecom] New York Geography

smb@ulysses.att.com (07/21/89)

	 But I remembered that Liberty Island and Ellis Island are
	 politically part of the borough of Manhattan and the County
	 of New York, even though they are on the far side of Staten
	 Island from Manhattan Island itself.

No they aren't; they're off the southern tip of Manhattan.

de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) (08/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0248m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> smb@ulysses.att.com
writes:
>	 But I remembered that Liberty Island and Ellis Island are
>	 politically part of the borough of Manhattan and the County
>	 of New York,

Please note that Liberty Island is also claimed by NJ.  While I don't remember
all the details, when President Reagan signed some proclamation about the
Statue of Liberty, he did so in the presence of four senators, two from NY
and two from NJ, so as not to offend either state.  Are there telephones on
these two islands, and if so what are the area codes?

--
 -->        David Esan                rochester!moscom!de