[comp.dcom.telecom] DTMF Frequencies

rick@cs.utexas.edu (Rick Watson) (08/04/89)

What are the frequencies of the various tones used for DTMF?

Thanks,

Rick Watson
University of Texas Computation Center
 arpa:   watson@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu (128.83.1.26)
 uucp:   ...cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!rick
 bitnet: watson@utadnx
 span:   utspan::watson (UTSPAN is 25.128)
 phone:  512/471-8220 512/471-3241

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (08/07/89)

(Rick Watson) writes:

>What are the frequencies of the various tones used for DTMF?

           1209     1336     1477    1633

    697     1        2        3       A   FO

    770     4        5        6       B   F

    852     7        8        9       C   I

    941     *        0        # A     D   P

I have an old 5-line 4-wire Autovon phone here that I modified (added a
network) for 25-pair 2-wire use.  It has a "A" on the key that would normally
be a "#". The 4th column keys are labeled with FO-F-I-P.  On another Tiwanese
throw-away phone I've seen the same keys labeled A-B-C-D, this phone was sold
at the local K-Mart and the extra buttons were explained as "4 additional
keypad keys for future banking and special services".

A long time ago I figured out the mathematical sequence that the frequencies
follow - Without overlapping the groups I figured that you could get a
9 by 9 matrix, with overlap a 12 by 9 (my memory is hazy, this would have been
in 1969 or 1970).  Note that these are not "MultiFreq" tones.

Mike Morris
UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
#Include quote.cute.standard   | The opinions above probably do not even come
cat flames.all > /dev/null     | close to those of my employer(s), if any.

jjjs@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (james.j.sowa) (08/08/89)

>What are the frequencies of the various tones used for DTMF?
>Thanks,

Here is the DTMF chart taken from "Notes on Distance Dialing" January 1975

                    HIGH-Group
                   Frequencies  (Hz)

                   1209    1336    1477    1633

             687     1       2       3       A
  LOW GROUP
FREQUENCIES  770     4       5       6       B
    (HZ)
             852     7       8       9       C

             941     *       0       #       D

Jim Sowa

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (08/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0275m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, ut-emx!rick@cs.utexas.edu
(Rick Watson) writes:
> What are the frequencies of the various tones used for DTMF?

		High Group (Hz)
		1209   1336   1477   1633
Low	697	 1	2      3      A
Group	770	 4	5      6      B
(Hz)	852	 7	8      9      C
	941	 *	0      #      D

A,B,C,D are not currently implemented anywhere, so far as I'm aware.

(Courtesy of, of coures, Notes on the BOC Intra-LATA Networks, 1986...)

--
David G Lewis				...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej

			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."