[comp.dcom.telecom] Reader Needs Source For Telephone Tools

amb@cs.columbia.edu (Andrew Boardman) (08/09/89)

First, a question: I recently lost (they were destroyed, actually) a set
of various telecom-oriented tools.  I haven't been able to replace two of
them from any regular hardware supplier that I sould find and there's quite
probably someone out there who could tell me where I could order them.
The first is that cute little tool used for punching down wires on punch-down
blocks.  (a puncher-down?)  The second has a similar purpose except it's
used on the older boards on which screw terminals are used.  (A standard
boltdriver type thing could be used here but the telco-provided model was
much more useful in this particular environment.)

In article <telecom-v09i0279m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> Ron Natalie wrote:
>It's been a while since the Army Labcom security office has provided me 2600
>newsletters to read.

Oh, it's still alive and well, subscriptions are $10 or $12 a year from
their offices out in Long Island somewhere.  Cover prices on individual
issues are $3.

Andrew Boardman
amb@cs.columbia.edu
(or, for you bitnet people, ab4@cunixc)

[Moderator's Note: 2600 Magazine also has a netmail address, 2600@something,
but I can't locate it right now. In the next issue of the Digest (#282),
a tour de force by John Covert, responding to questions about the 'thousands
of non-dialable points' message; and other comments on non-dialable places.
Issue 282 will be released about 1:00 AM, once this issue has gotten cleared
out of the list channel.  PT]

amanda@uunet.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/09/89)

Speaking of telephone tools, I once saw a little tool that was so
mind-bogglingly useful that, of course, I've never found a place
that sold it.  I was told it was a telephone tool of some sort.  It's
basically a pair of needle nose pliers with a little place near the
tip that acts as a wire stripper for 22 (or so) AWG wire.  Perfect
for doing wirewrapping...

Anybody know where I could pick up one of these things?

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (08/10/89)

(Andrew Boardman) writes:

>The first is that cute little tool used for punching down wires on punch-down
>blocks.  (a puncher-down?)

It's called an impact tool, made by Dracon.  Comes in two styles, get the more
expensive one, the extra $ are worth it - it'l set you back maybe $40.  Get
a spare blade at $9 or so - all it takes is dropping it blade first on a
concrete floor, at the beginning of a job on Saturday...

> ...  The second has a similar purpose except it's
>used on the older boards on which screw terminals are used.

A can wrench will set you back about $15 or so.  They come in two models,
both with and without a wire stripper in the side of the handle.  I've never
needed the stripper.  Made by Klein.

Both are available at any Graybar Electric, Telecom division.  In most major
cities.

Mike Morris
UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
#Include quote.cute.standard   | The opinions above probably do not even come
cat flames.all > /dev/null     | close to those of my employer(s), if any.

jones@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Marvin Jones) (08/11/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0281m10@vector.dallas.tx.us>, amb@cs.columbia.edu
(Andrew Boardman) writes:
> The first is that cute little tool used for punching down wires on punch-down
> blocks.  (a puncher-down?)  The second has a similar purpose except it's
> used on the older boards on which screw terminals are used.  (A standard

The tool you need is something like the Dracon D814 Impact Tool, which is used
for backboard punchdown work.  A couple of good companies to use for things
like this are:

		Specialized Products Co.
		2117 W. Walnut Hill Lane
		Irving, TX  75038
		800-527-5018
and
		Time Motion Tools
		410 S. Douglas St.
		El Segundo, CA  90245
		213-772-8170

I am sure there are many other places as well.  Unfortunately, these places
don't discount very much.  Anyone know of good telecom tool suppliers who
discount to small quantity buyers?

I am personally unfamiliar with the second tool you mention.  Hopefully
someone else will recognize that one.

	Marvin Jones 		{pyramid, pixar, tekbspa}!optilink!jones
	Optilink Corp. 		ATT-net 	707-795-9444 X206
	Petaluma, CA 		CIS 		71320,3637

john@gatech.edu (John DeArmond) (08/11/89)

(Andrew Boardman) writes:

>First, a question: I recently lost (they were destroyed, actually) a set
>of various telecom-oriented tools.  I haven't been able to replace two of
>them from any regular hardware supplier that I sould find and there's quite
>probably someone out there who could tell me where I could order them.

Specialized Products Company,
2117 W. Walnut Hill Lane
Irving, TX 75038

Local phone - 214 550 1923
Local FAX   - 214 550-1386
800 527 5018

They are also in Southern California, Houston, and Boston. Best phone tools
supplier I've seen.

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You