[comp.dcom.telecom] While Phone Rings, Charges May Begin

vances@egvideo.uucp (Vance Shipley) (07/11/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0227m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> lim@csvax.caltech.edu
(Kian-Tat Lim) writes:

>The MCI spokesperson points out that this is *not* the same as lack of call
>supervision, which caused "ring-no-answer" billing.

I believe that this sort of thing can happen because of transmission time for
the supervisory signals.  A user on one CO calls a distant CO; the supervisory
signals to pass the destination and billing info are passed thru each switch
along the path and then the end user terminal is rung.  When the set is
answered the CO sends the supervisory signals back to the originating CO along
the same path they took to get there.  Propagation delay is as much as 10
seconds I am told (this would not be typical).  If the originator gave up
before (real time) the destination answered the near CO would begin to send
the necessary supervision signals toward the end CO.  There is a window here
where the path is reserved but no thru connection was ever achieved, this
should not be billable.
I should mention that with SS#7 (which MCI has in place) this should be changed
for the better.

Vance Shipley

ijk@cbnewsh.att.com (07/12/89)

One thing that many people might not be aware off is that what you hear ringing
is NOT the end user's phone ringing [the user's phone might not be
plugged in, and you'll still get a ring back.]

Futhermore, the number of rings is not consistent with what you hear and
what the user hears [sometimes, I've had people answer their phone before I
even hear a ring - since I'm not a real believer in ESP, ...].

So, you might be counting the rings, and hang up on the third, while
the answering machine has heard 4, and has started to answer.

Ihor Kinal
att!cbnewsh!ijk

Standard disclaimer - although I work for Bell Labs, I'm a software
person, and my real interfaces with phones are primarily the ones
at home and sitting on the desk. My opinions are my own.

TK0GRM1%NIU.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu (Gordon Meyer) (07/12/89)

In regards to MCI/AT&T charging for calls because the answering
machine goes "clunk"....:
Three years ago about ten 1 min. calls showed up on my MCI bill.
I called customer service and was told that they happened because
"the computer" thought the call had gone through.  When I explained
that I NEVER make one minute phone calls (doubt that many do...)

They made the adjustment.  I was told (no fooling) that the computer
can get confused when it hears a noise on the line...it makes "the
computer" think the call was connected.  The rep suggested that
(don't laugh) I may have coughed to the phone and confused
the billing system.

-=->G<-=-

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (07/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0229m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, zygot!john@apple.com
(John Higdon) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0227m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, lim@csvax.caltech.edu
> (Kian-Tat Lim) writes:
> > [From the LA Times "Consumer Views" column, by Don G. Campbell, 7/7/89.
> > Paraphrased except for items in quotes.]

> > QUESTION: J. T. observes several one-minute call charges on his/her MCI
> > phone bill.  These were made to answering machines that answer on the fifth
> > ring; he/she always hung up after the third or fourth ring.

> > ANSWER: [Complete and utter nonsense about clicks and machines making
> > connections before ringing stops and such.]

> When you place any call, local or long distance, upon connection of the
> call you hear "ringback tone". This tone is supplied by the central
> office at the called end and tells you that your call was successful
> and that the party's phone is ringing (as opposed to not going through
> or busy).

> When the called party answers, ringback tone ceases immediately and the
> connection "supervises", or in older parlance, "reverses". For the
> majority of carriers that handle supervision, this is when the clock
> starts. It makes no difference whether a machine answers or a person
> answers, one thing is certain: ringback tone ending and supervision
> beginning are a simultaneous event. If the machine answers on the fifth
> ring, that's when billing begins and not before.

There is an exception to this.  If the called number is not a POTS
(plain old telephone service) subscriber but an extension of a PBX
(private branch exchange) that is reached by DID (direct inward
dialing) trunks, then the audible ring signal is not generated by
the far-end central office, but by the far-end PBX.  Most PBX
equipment acts like a central office in this case; it does not
return answer supervision (start charging the caller) until the
called end answers, and it stops the ring tone at the same time.

Some PBX equipment also contains ACD (automatic call distribution)
equipment.  This usually answers immediately, and then plays a
recording telling you that you are in a queue, until an agent is
available.  If no recording is provided, most ACD equipment will
generate ring tones, even though the call has been answered.

The AT&T System 85 PBX, when equipped with AUDIX (a voice-mail and
call-coverage system that functions like a multi-user answering
machine) will provide off-hook supervision at the time a call is
sent to AUDIX for coverage (typically after three rings, if the
station still hasn't answered).  AUDIX will then generate ring tone
until it is able to play the called party's personal greeting.
This may mean that charging begins while ringing is still audible.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net

ab4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Boardman) (07/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0232m09@vector.dallas.tx.us> Ihor writes:
>One thing that many people might not be aware off is that what you hear
>ringing is NOT the end user's phone ringing.  [...]
>Futhermore, the number of rings is not consistent with what you hear and
>what the user hears. [...]

This is, I believe, dependent on one's switch; at one point I lived
on an old crossbar on which it was possible (through playing games with
my loop resistance, etc.) to recieve a call while the switch was under the
impression that the phone was still ringing.  This is definitely *not*
the case with my 5ESS box now; would someone who has specifics care
to elaborate on them?

Andrew Boardman, wrting from the phone-happy city of White Plains, NY.
ab4@cunixc.columbia.edu   ab4@cunixc.bitnet  {backbone}!columbia!cunixc!ab4

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (07/18/89)

(Kian-Tat Lim) writes:
> [From the LA Times "Consumer Views" column, by Don G. Campbell, 7/7/89.
> Paraphrased except for items in quotes.]
>
> QUESTION: J. T. observes several one-minute call charges on his/her MCI phone
> bill.  These were made to answering machines that answer on the fifth ring;
> he/she always hung up after the third or fourth ring.
>
> MCI first claims that J. T. would not have been charged if the machine hadn't
> answered.  An MCI manager later informs the customer that "when [you] call a

Yet another twist on the "Did the call go through or not" dilemma:
If a party has one of the following devices hooked up, the call is
actually completed, but the caller is fooled into thinking that the
number is still ringing.

"...[T]he autoswitch answers the call on the first ring and listens for
the 1100-Hz tone that is transmitted by an autodialing fax machine.  If
it senses the tone, the TF500 connects the incoming call to the fax
machine.  If it does not sense the tone, the device rings on through to
the local telephone five times.  If the phone is not answered the
autoswitch automatically switches in the fax..."

"Since the autoswitch actually answers the phone on the first ring and
then takes a few seconds to decide whether the call is fax or phone, to
prevent the caller from holding a 'dead line' while the device makes up
its mind, the TF500 generates a phantom ringing signal back to the
caller.  As far as the caller is concerned, he hears the telephone
ringing--he does not know that the call has actually been answered."

from a review of the Command Communications TF500 Autoswitch,
Radio-Electronics, November, 1988
--
"MAN USES TAPE TO STICK              Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 HIS TOE BACK ON!"

[Moderator's Note: It was electrical tape he used, by the way, not scotch
tape. In Wednesday's Digest, installers sometimes have a devil of a time
finding unused pairs in the cable run, and not just on the 666 exchange
either! And jsol expresses concern that when he gets some additional service
the telco will skimp on pairs rather than run more. See ya tomorrow!  PT]

r.a.a.@trout.nosc.mil (R.A. Anonymous, Jr.) (07/27/89)

You said in your message that, through playing with your line loop resistance,
that you could receive a call, while your switch was under the impression that
you had not answered.. This was a method used by Phone Phreaks in the early
80's to avoid billing.  A phreak would put a 'colored' 'box' (they were
labeled by colors) on his/her line and receive calls from other phreaks at the
phone co's expense...

        Rodney Amadeus Anonymous, Jr.   |       pro-palace!r.a.a.

epsilon@ames.arc.nasa.gov (07/30/89)

>You said in your message that, through playing with your line loop resistance,
>that you could receive a call, while your switch was under the impression that
>you had not answered.. This was a method used by Phone Phreaks in the early
>80's to avoid billing.  A phreak would put a 'colored' 'box' (they were
>labeled by colors) on his/her line and receive calls from other phreaks at the
>phone co's expense...

80's?  Try 70s!  Remember the stink when _Ramparts_ published
details of how to build one of those?
					-=EPS=-

sandy47@ucsco.ucsc.edu (90784000) (07/31/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0258m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-
newfrontier!pro-nfmail01!pro-harvest!pro-palace!r. writes:

>You said in your message that, through playing with your line loop resistance,
>that you could receive a call, while your switch was under the impression that
>you had not answered.. This was a method used by Phone Phreaks in the early
>80's to avoid billing.  A phreak would put a 'colored' 'box' (they were
>labeled by colors) on his/her line and receive calls from other phreaks at the
>phone co's expense...
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Actually started in the late '60s.  There was an article in Ramparts Magazine
which gave actual details, including Radio Shack part numbers for building a
"Yellow" box.  Basically a resistor to be switched in at time of ring receipt
to disable call charging (since the telephone had never been answered).
"Blue" box details were worked out from the Bell Systems Technical Journal
article published in the '60s which explained the inner workings of the new
DTMF and MF systems.  In the '70s "Captain Crunch" popularized this and added
the computer twist.

Go to your local US Government Depository Library (many public libraries and
most university libraries fall into this category) and look up the Code of
Federal Regulations for Telecommunications (several volumes).  Part 68 has
an interesting section on "Billing Protection" which deals with both the MF
tones generated by "Blue" boxes and the impedance shifting done by "Yellow"
boxes.  But don't USE the information illegally or you'll be placed in a
"Gray" box with steel bars :-).

ron@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/06/89)

Then there's the green box.  A device that sends a tone back to a pay phone
releasing the deposited money, I believe.  It's been a while since the Army
Labcom security office has provided me 2600 newsletters to read.

-Ron

tanner@ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) (08/09/89)

) ... green box ... tone to payphone
Do payphones not use out-of-band signalling?  It would seem to invite
abuse if they used in-band signalling, especially if someone were
inclined to carry a recording of money being dropped into the thing.
--
 ...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra attctc gatech!uflorida uunet!cdin-1}!ki4pv!tanner

amb@cs.columbia.edu (Andrew Boardman) (08/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0286m08@vector.dallas.tx.us> tanner wrote:
>) ... green box ... tone to payphone
>Do payphones not use out-of-band signalling?  It would seem to invite
>abuse if they used in-band signalling, especially if someone were
>inclined to carry a recording of money being dropped into the thing.

They most certainly do use in-band signalling; in fact, such a recording
was floating around department where I used to work.  (For those that keep
track of such things, a circuit hardwired to produce the tones necessary
(coin deposit, not coin return) is referred to as a "red box".  (Construction
is trivial, but generally I prefer to pay for the service I get from AT&T.
I dread the day that I read "Coin calls from this telephone are carried by
the US Sprint PublicFON service."))

Andrew Boardman
amb@cs.columbia.edu
(but if you really have to, ab4@cunixc will work from bitnet)

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (08/11/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0286m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, tanner@ki4pv.uucp
(Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
> ) ... green box ... tone to payphone
> Do payphones not use out-of-band signalling?  It would seem to invite
> abuse if they used in-band signalling, especially if someone were
> inclined to carry a recording of money being dropped into the thing.

The insertion of money causes in-band signaling. It makes a little beep
that is muted so that you don't hear it. One beep per five cents. This
totals up on a display that the operator has in front of her (or on the
automatic coin collection equipment.) It is a trivial matter to imitate
these beeps with a device called a "red box". However, the first coin
must be real, since the phone signals via DC loop that there is indeed
at least one coin in the hopper (the first coin trips a flapper in the
chute which is reset each time the hopper dumps to either the coin box
or the return). If this signal is not present, they know you are
pulling something.

Pac*Bell has a few fraud prevention techniques to prevent this. One of
them is to periodically and without warning dump the hopper into the
coin box so that a new real coin will have to be inserted. Any
dicrepancies and you better watch out. There are others which I'll keep
to myself for now.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

eli@chipcom.com (08/11/89)

> From: Andrew Boardman <amb@cs.columbia.edu>
> Subject: Re: While Phone Rings, Charges May Begin
>
> I dread the day that I read "Coin calls from this telephone are carried by
> the US Sprint PublicFON service."))

	Why do you dread Sprint more than any other long haul carrier?
	Don't all carriers have problems with starting charges if you
	let the phone ring or give a busy signal for a "very long time"?

	Which carriers are immune from such charges?  If Sprint alone is
	screwing up billing because of "premature billing", this sounds
	like a good question for my pal at Sprint.  I like to give him
	tough questions!

[Moderator's Note: For one, AT&T has no problem with call supervision. They
begin charging when the connection is actually established, and not after
some pre-set period of time. You may occassionally listen to "The Larry
King Show", a radio talk show late at night which is heard coast to coast.
The announcer always gives a phone number to call if you want to talk on
the air with Larry King, and his announcement is phrased thus, "...if we
have a free line, you will get a ringing signal....let the phone *continue
to ring* until it is your turn to speak with Larry....we will answer you
a few seconds before you go on the air..." . Typically, you listen to
ringing for 10-15 *minutes* -- sometimes half an hour -- while the callers
ahead of you voice their opinions. Try that on a Sprint line sometime.

Chances are your Sprint rep friend will tell you they do not have 'call
supervision equipment' and cannot tell when the call actually starts.  PT]

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (08/12/89)

(Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
>Do payphones not use out-of-band signalling?  It would seem to invite
>abuse if they used in-band signalling, especially if someone were
>inclined to carry a recording of money being dropped into the thing.

What you describe is called a "red box", and generates three different
tones:  5 cents (ding), 10 cents (ding ding), and 25 cents (blonng).
More modern payphones perhaps use out-of-band signaling, but long ago and
far away, a recording of those noises would serve quite well in deceiving the
operator.  Details suppressed to protect the guilty.
--
Internet/Smail: cowan@marob.masa.com	Dumb: uunet!hombre!marob!cowan
Fidonet:  JOHN COWAN of 1:107/711	Magpie: JOHN COWAN, (212) 420-0527

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (08/12/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0289m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, zygot!john@apple.com
(John Higdon) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0286m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, tanner@ki4pv.uucp
> (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
> > ) ... green box ... tone to payphone
> > Do payphones not use out-of-band signalling?  It would seem to invite
>
> The insertion of money causes in-band signaling. It makes a little beep
> that is muted so that you don't hear it. One beep per five cents. This
> totals up on a display that the operator has in front of her (or on the
> automatic coin collection equipment.) It is a trivial matter to imitate

Not that long ago, operators had to be able to distinguish the beeps
for various coins.  Presumably, if you could throw nickels and dimes
into the slot fast enough, the operator would lose track, and you could
get your call put through for less than the correct toll.

--
"ANGRY WOMEN BEAT UP SHOE SALESMAN   Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 WHO POSED AS GYNECOLOGIST"