[comp.dcom.telecom] NY Tel

amb@cs.columbia.edu (Andrew Boardman) (08/12/89)

[Especially for those of you who wanted to hear any other service outage
reports, this one hits too close to home...]

In article <telecom-v09i0288m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> roy@phri wrote:
>	There is a half-page ad in todays New York Times from NYTel offering
>a $25,000 reward to "the person who first provides information to New York
>Telephone in each instance that results in arrest and conviction of any
>person or persons for intentional destruction of telephone facilities."

There is a roadside frame in a field just down the street from my home
where several hundred subsciber lines emerge from the subterannean
depths; yesterday (Thursday) night someone apparently cut all the
wires in and out of it, (I happened to be online at the time, too!)
and my friendly NYTel rep tells me that this has been happening all
over the neighborhood.  Sure enough, as I drove to work today, NYT
service vans dotted the landsape, including a complement of *four* at
the above-mentioned location.  (Hey, I though they were all on strike!
:-) As I sit here without telephone service for a few days, I just
hope that I catch the same people in the act; I could use $25,000...
(Another note: this is all within a test-set's throw of the NYT
Midstate Headquarters.)

Andrew Boardman
amb@cs.columbia.edu
(or if you really really really have to, ab4@cunixc on bitnet)