Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 11:10:46 EDT
From: Richard Tobier <gould!infocenter!rtobier@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Universal Wiring Plan

>From: levitt@zorro9.fidonet.org (Ken Levitt)
>Subject: RS-232 Standards for phone wire
>I would interested in any proposed standards for passing RS-232 over 6
>wire phone connectors.  If you or anyone else have this information,
>would you please post it or send it directly to me.

The following are standards that I developed for Encore Computer Corp.
 (F.K.A. Gould Inc., Computer Systems Div.). I hope this diagrams are
 useful to those on net.

                           ENCORE COMPUTER CORPORATION
                          Telecommunications Department
                              Universal Wiring Plan

                             ENCORE COMPUTER CORPORATION
                            Telecommunications Department
                                Universal Wiring Plan

                              Connection Instructions

          The  attached  diagrams should assist in the installation of
          terminals to computer ports via the "ENCORE Universal  Wiring
          Plan".

          Materials Necessary:

          3 pr. 24 AWG Telephone wire

          DB-25 Rs-232 Connectors

          6 wire modular telephone line cords, 7 ft, 14 ft, or
          25 ft.  (One end will be cut off. See diagram for
          end to save.  Each end is different.)

          Punch Tool

          Refer to the "Universal Wiring Plan New Installation" Sheet.

          Your  building  has  been wired to this specification.  Most
          outlets  where  a  telephone  is  present,  also   has   the
          capability  of  supporting  an asynchronous terminal.  It is
          necessary to make cables which connect the terminals to  the
          telephone  jacks,  and cables from the Data Backboard to the
          Computer Ports.

          In  cases where there is more than one Computer Room, it may
          be necessary to cross connect in  the  Telco-Room  from  the
          Data Backboard to the appropriate Computer Tie Cable.  Cross
          Connect all six wires from the data backboard run (cable run
          from the Terminal location) to the next available wires (pin
          positions) on the Computer Tie Cable  Type  66M  Block.  The
          same  'pin  positions'  in the computer room will be used to
          connect the Computer Port Cable.

          Refer to the attached sheets for Cable Specifications.

                        ENCORE COMPUTER CORPORATION
                       Telecommunications Department
                           Universal Wiring Plan

                         Telephone Wire Color Code

      QUAD       LINE CORD    3-Pair   Tip/Ring   MOD #
      ******     *********    *******  ********   *****

      ----         White      Wht/Grn     T3       1
      BLACK        BLACK      Wht/Org     T2       2
      RED          RED        Blu/Wht     R1       3
      GREEN        GREEN      Wht/Blu     T1       4
      YELLOW       YELLOW     Org/Wht     R2       5
      ----         BLUE       Grn/Wht     R3       6

       T1 ----------------------O-------------
                                |               } Pair # 1
       R1 ------------------O---+-------------
                            |   |
       T2 --------------O---+---+-------------
                        |   |   |               } Pair # 2
       R2 --------------+---+---+---O---------
                        |   |   |   |
       T3 ----------O---+---+---+---+---------
                    |   |   |   |   |           } Pair # 3
       R3 ----------+---+---+---+---+---O-----
                    |   |   |   |   |   |
                    |   |   |   |   |   |
                 +-------------------------+
                 +-------------------------+

                 +-------------------------+
                 |  1   2   3   4   5   6  | <--  Modular Phone Plug
                 +-------------------------+      Pins face up
                             | |
                        To Equipment

    The  above  conforms to Jack Wiring for USOC RJ11C 1-pair wiring,
    USOC RJ14C 2-pair wiring and USOC RJ25C 3-pair wiring.

    LEGEND:

    Wht/Blu  White wire Blue   dot    Org/Wht  Orange wire White dot
    Blu/Wht  Blue  wire White  dot    Wht/Grn  White  wire Green dot
    Wht/Org  White wire Orange dot    Grn/Wht  Green  wire White dot

                        ENCORE COMPUTER CORPORATION
                       Telecommunications Department
                           Universal Wiring Plan

                         Telephone Wire Color Code

       T1 ----------------------O-------------
                                |               } Pair # 1
       R1 ------------------O---+-------------
                            |   |
       T2 --------------O---+---+-------------
                        |   |   |               } Pair # 2
       R2 --------------+---+---+---O---------
                        |   |   |   |
       T3 ----------O---+---+---+---+---------
                    |   |   |   |   |           } Pair # 3
       R3 ----------+---+---+---+---+---O-----
                    |   |   |   |   |   |
       T4 ------O---+---+---+---+---+---+-----
                |   |   |   |   |   |   |       } Pair # 4
       R4 ------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---O-
                |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
                |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
              +--------------------------------+
              +--------------------------------+

              +--------------------------------+
              | 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  | <--  Modular Phone Plug
              +--------------------------------+      Pins face up
                             | |
                        To Equipment

    LEGEND:

    Wht/Blu  White wire Blue   dot    Wht/Grn  White  wire Green dot
    Blu/Wht  Blue  wire White  dot    Grn/Wht  Green  wire White dot
    Wht/Org  White wire Orange dot    Wht/Brn  White  wire Brown dot
    Org/Wht  Orange wire White dot    Brn/Wht  Brown  wire White dot

                Type 66M Telco Block Wire Assignments

                      PAIR   PIN #    WIRE COLOR

                        1      1      WHITE/blue
                               2      BLUE/white
                        2      3      WHITE/orange
                               4      ORANGE/white
                        3      5      WHITE/green
                               6      GREEN/white
                        4      7      WHITE/brown
                               8      BROWN/white
                        5      9      WHITE/slate
                              10      SLATE/white
                        6     11      RED/blue
                              12      BLUE/red
                        7     13      RED/orange
                              14      ORANGE/red
                        8     15      RED/green
                              16      GREEN/red
                        9     17      RED/brown
                              18      BROWN/red
                       10     19      RED/slate
                              20      SLATE/red
                       11     21      BLACK/blue
                              22      BLUE/black
                       12     23      BLACK/orange
                              24      ORANGE/black
                       13     25      BLACK/green
                              26      GREEN/black
                       14     27      BLACK/brown
                              28      BROWN/black
                       15     29      BLACK/slate
                              30      SLATE/black
                       16     31      YELLOW/blue
                              32      BLUE/yellow
                       17     33      YELLOW/orange
                              34      ORANGE/yellow
                       18     35      YELLOW/green
                              36      GREEN/yellow
                       19     37      YELLOW/brown
                              38      BROWN/yellow
                       20     39      YELLOW/slate
                              40      SLATE/yellow
                       21     41      VIOLET/blue
                              42      BLUE/violet
                       22     43      VIOLET/orange
                              44      ORANGE/violet
                       23     45      VIOLET/green
                              46      GREEN/violet
                       24     47      VIOLET/brown
                              48      BROWN/violet
                       25     49      VIOLET/slate
                              50      SLATE/violet

                        ENCORE COMPUTER CORPORATION
                       Telecommunications Department
                           Universal Wiring Plan

                         TERMINAL TO COMPUTER PORT

         WALL PLUG                                TERMINAL
           RJ11                                  RS-232 MALE
      Modular pins face up
        ------------                            --------------
       |6       BLU | (Silver Satin Phone Cord)|          BLU |
       |5 S/GND YEL |---------/  /-------------|  7 S/GND YEL |
       |4 TX    GRN |--------/  /--------------|  2 TX    GRN |
       |3 RX    RED |                          |  3 RX    RED |
       |2 DTR   BLK |                          | 20 DTR   BLK |
       |1       WHT |                          |          WHT |
        ------------                            --------------

                     DATA BACKBOARD TO COMPUTER PORT

         66M BLOCK                                COMPUTER
        PUNCH DOWN                               EIA RS-232

       --------------                          ---------------
      | 1 TX     W/b |                        |  3 TX     W/b |
      | 2 RX     B/w |                        |  2 RX     B/w |
      | 3 DTR    W/o |  ( 3 pr. Phone Cable ) |  4 DTR    W/o |
      | 4 S/GND  O/w |-----------/  /---------|  7 S/GND  O/w |
      |    N/C   W/g |----------/  /----------|  4-5-6-8      |
      |    N/C   G/w |                        |               |
       --------------                          ---------------

                          Tx & Rx crossed in      |
                             this cable. - - - - -+

        Legend:  W/b  White wire with Blue tracer dot
                 B/w  Blue wire with White tracer dot
                 W/o  White wire with Orange tracer dot
                 O/w  Orange wire with White tracer dot
                 W/g  White wire with Green tracer dot
                 G/w  Green wire with White tracer dot

                   CRT                         CPU

                   2   ------------------------  3
                   3   ------------------------  2
                   7   ------------------------  7
                  20   ------------------------  4 ---+
                                                 5 ---+
                                                 6 ---+
                                                 8 ---+

                        ENCORE COMPUTER CORPORATION
                       Telecommunications Department
                           Universal Wiring Plan

                          TERMINAL TO COMPUTER PORT
                               (Hardware Flow)

                                CRT to RJ45

         WALL PLUG                                   CRT
           RJ45                                  RS-232 MALE
      Modular pins face up
        ------------                            --------------
       |8 CTS   SLT |                          |  5 CTS   SLT |
       |7 DSR   BRN | (Silver Satin Phone Cord)|  6 DSR   BRN |
       |6 S/GND YEL |---------/  /-------------|  7 S/GND YEL |
       |5 TX    GRN |--------/  /--------------|  2 TX    GRN |
       |4 RX    RED |                          |  3 RX    RED |
       |3 DTR   BLK |                          | 20 DTR   BLK |
       |2 RTS   ORG |                          |  4 RTS   ORG |
       |1       BLU |                          |          BLU |
        ------------                            --------------

                     DATA BACKBOARD TO COMPUTER PORT

         66M BLOCK                                 COMPUTER
         PUNCH DOWN                              RS-232 FEMALE

        ---------------                          ----------------
       | 1 TX     W/bl |                        |  3 RX     W/bl |
       | 2 RX     Bl/w |                        |  2 TX     Bl/w |
       | 3 DTR    W/o  |  ( 4 pr. Phone Cable ) |  5 CTS    W/o  |
       | 4 S/GND  O/w  |-----------/  /---------|  7 S/GND  O/w  |
       | 5 RTS    W/g  |----------/  /----------|  6 DSR    W/g  |
       | 6 DSR    G/w  |                        |  4 RTS--+ G/w  |
       | 7  N/C   W/br |                        |         | W/Br |
       | 8 CTS    Br/w |                        | 20 DTR  | Br/w |
        ---------------                         |  8 DCD--+      |
                                                 ---------------

        LEGEND:  W/bl White wire with Blue tracer dot
                 Bl/w Blue wire with White tracer dot
                 W/o  White wire with Orange tracer dot
                 O/w  Orange wire with White tracer dot
                 W/g  White wire with Green tracer dot
                 G/w  Green wire with White tracer dot
                 W/br White wire with Brown tracer dot
                 Br/w Brown wire with White tracer dot

                   CPU                         CRT

                    2   ------------------------  3
                    3   ------------------------  2
                    4   ------------------------  6
                    5   ------------------------  20
                +-- 6   ------------------------  4
                |   7   ------------------------  7
                +-- 8
                   20   ------------------------  5

                        ENCORE COMPUTER CORPORATION
                       Telecommunications Department
                           Universal Wiring Plan

                            NEC SPINWRITER CABLE
                           FOR PRINTER CONNECTION
                                 7700 & 8800

                   PRINTER                        UNIX
                  RS-232 FEMALE 7700           RS-232 FEMALE
                  RS-232 MALE 8800

                       2  ------------------------  3
                       3  ------------------------  2
                       4  ------------------------  6 -- 8
                       5  ------------------------  19
                  8 -- 6  ------------------------  4
                       7  ------------------------  7
                      20  ------------------------  5

                             Universal Wiring Plan - New Installation

          DEFINITIONS:

          *  Provides Voice and Data capabilities to each location via
             Modular Plug and Jack.

          *  Telco Industry Standard Wire and Connectors.

          *  Easy Data connections via cross-connects at Data
             Backboards.

          *  Each Data Run numbered same as Voice Run.

          REQUIREMENTS:

          *  Wall Jacks  - Duplex 6 Conductor
                           Top (Right) VOICE - Wire as required by the
                           phone system
                           Bottom (Left) DATA - Wired as USOC RJ25C 3-
                           pair termination

          *  Two  3-pair Copper station wire to each Universal
             Location.
          *  Air Plenum - Teflon - only as required by local, or
             National Electric Code Section 800-3d.

           *  Voice and Data Wire Run Number to be the same for each
              Universal Wire location.

           *  Wire Run Number to be identified on face of each jack.

           *  Wire Runs to terminate on 66M type blocks with 89B
              Brackets in telco room.  Data Backboard to be separate from
              Voice Backboard.  Data Runs to be numbered on 66M Blocks and
              all 6 wires are to be terminated.

Richard Tobier
Telecommunications Analyst

Encore Computer Corp.
6901 W. Sunrise Blvd.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL. 33313

voice (305) 797-5713
fax   (305) 797-5666

End of TELECOM Digest Special Edition: Wiring Plan