[comp.dcom.telecom] Does Strike Generate Good PR for Telecos?

gast@cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (08/13/89)

> From: myerston@cts.sri.com

> difficulties for the Operators.  Long Distance Operators are the
> original ACD SLAVES.  The are not short and abrupt because they want
> to be but because their job depends on handling time, calls per hour
> and a litany of such measurements.  An ironic twist is the recent
> posting pointing out that management replacements during the RBOC
> strike are nicer and friendlier than the normal operators.  These
> same people would severly discipline a regular operator doing the
> same.

It's great PR.  First by spending more time you can make the wait longer,
and thus blame the union more.  Second by being extra nice you caconvince the public that the operators are mean, nasty and unfriendly.
Never mind that company policy is what makes the operators so mean,
nasty, and unfriendly in the first place.

Note: I am not syaing that operators are in fact mean, nasty, and unfriendly.
I am merely pointing out an excellent :-( PR ploy.

David Gast
gast@cs.ucla.edu
{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!{ucla-cs,cs.ucla.edu}!gast