[comp.dcom.telecom] Incorrect Use of Area Code 202

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (08/15/89)

I have seen 2 recent cases where area code 202 was used in front of a Maryland
number which has metro DC-area service but is beyond area 202 (they are only
in area 301). In one case, 202-621 was displayed on the back of a panel
truck.  In the other case, 202-261 was displayed in a fast-food restaurant in
an employment ad.

Both cases had other phone numbers displayed; the ones I singled out were
provided for callers from the Washington area.  I have seen 621, which is in
Laurel, used for this purpose by a few businesses in the Baltimore area.

Before DC-area prefixes were changed from NNX to NXX form, long-distance
dialing from 261 and 621 was 1+7D within Md., and 1+NPA+7D elsewhere.  (But in
Virginia, from 703-860, in Herndon and local to DC but toll to Md., you dialed
NPA+7D for all long distance, and Herndon metro-area prefixes 471 and 620
appear on phone bills as VIENNA and are in area code 202, not just 703.)

johnk@uunet.uu.net (John Kennedy) (08/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0296m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB)
writes:

>I have seen 2 recent cases where area code 202 was used in front of a Maryland
>number which has metro DC-area service but is beyond area 202 (they are only
>in area 301). In one case, 202-621 was displayed on the back of a panel
>truck.  In the other case, 202-261 was displayed in a fast-food restaurant in
>an employment ad.

It's my understanding that that's supposed to work, since the numbers in
the metro DC area are "local" to one another, even though they may be in
area codes 202, 703 or 301.  Now, not all of the exchanges in 703 and 301
are local calls in the DC area, but the ones that are local are dialable
with the 202 area code.

For example, my home phone exchange is 858.  It's in distant Maryland, but
is one of the exchanges with the privelege of being local to DC
and is dialable (from outside the area) with a 202
area code.  Likewise, phones in Northern Virginia (703 are code) are
also dialable with 202.

The US-gov't FTS service didn't used to support 703 or 301 for the
DC suburbs.  You always dialed 202.

John Kennedy                     johnk@opel.UUCP
Second Source, Inc.
Annapolis, MD