[comp.dcom.telecom] Operator Service

gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gabe M Wiener) (08/13/89)

In New York City, I can dial 0 for a New York Tel operator, or 00 for a
long distance operator.  This works both on ESS and on non-ESS exchanges.

However, up at my weekend house in NW Connecticut, dialing 0 or 00 brings
up the SNET operator.  Now my exchange is definitely ESS (I have call
waiting, 3-way calling, etc) though 10XXX codes do _not_ work.

Shouldn't 00 bring up the AT&T operator directly?  Even on ESS and even
on non Equal Access in NYC, the 00 brings up an AT&T operator.   Why is
SNET any different?  Have they not completely separated from AT&T?

-G

P.S.   What is the purpose of the "beep" you hear right before you reach
the operator?

jjs@ihlpz.att.com (James J Sowa) (08/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0292m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.
edu (Gabe M Wiener) writes:

>However, up at my weekend house in NW Connecticut, dialing 0 or 00 brings
>up the SNET operator.
>Shouldn't 00 bring up the AT&T operator directly?

S.N.E.T. was not a fully owned operating company in the "old" bell
system and as such is not under the same operating rules/laws as the
Ameritechs, NYNEXs etc. are. In this case they were not mandated to
provide equal access for carrier selection. In the case of 00 that is
an equal access method of providing carrier selected operator service.

                                                Jim
You guessed it - these are not necessarily the opinions of my employer!!!