[comp.dcom.telecom] International Direct dial codes

U5434122@uunet.uu.net (08/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0260m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, euatdt@euas11g.ericsson.
se (Torsten Dahlkvist) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0256m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> henry@garp.mit.edu
> writes:
>>Why is 00 more logical than 009 (or 011 in Canada and the US), or 0011
>>(in Australia)?
>
> Because in most countries (outside Northern America), all area codes begin
> with a 0, indicating the start of "national" dialling. Another 0 would
> (logically) imply an even larger numbering plan - "international". Simlpe?
> If/when we get interplanetary dialling the logical prefix would be 000.
> I shudder to think what four zeroes would mean...

But in Australia, 0011 is normal international access code, 0015 is for faxes
(Partially conditioned data lines - have not noticed any difference myself)
and 0012 is for automatic ring back with price - just dial the number you want
with 0012, and when you hang up the operator tells you the cost of the call.

Australia is the only country I know of with 4 digit international access
codes, but they are versatile.

> [Moderator's Note: I don't think too many countries have our penchant here
> in the USA for pulling zero to get the operator either. Right/wrong??  PT]

Too true, but in Oz you have to know which operator you want.
013  local DA
0175  non local DA
0103  overseas DA
011  Operator connected calls within Oz
012  charge enquiries (Oz)
0102 charges (international)
0108 calls to ships at sea

The list goes on......

Daniel

Daniel O'Callaghan, University of Melbourne