[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephone Numbering Change in Denmark

U5434122@ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au (08/14/89)

Recently Denmark changed its system of telephone numbers and area codes, going
through a stage where the area code was compulsory even for local calls.

They moved to 8 digit numbers recently, I think, although that seems excessive
for a country of only 5 million people. ( 7 digits will serve about 15 million
people, if pushed to the limit, and that is without area codes)

Can anyone give details of the Danish situation now, please?

Thanks,

Daniel
U5434122@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz.au

sergej@diku.dk (S|ren Oskar Jensen) (08/16/89)

U5434122@ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au writes:

>Recently Denmark changed its system of telephone numbers and area codes, going
>through a stage where the area code was compulsory even for local calls.

>They moved to 8 digit numbers recently, I think, although that seems excessive
>for a country of only 5 million people. ( 7 digits will serve about 15 million
>people, if pushed to the limit, and that is without area codes)

>Can anyone give details of the Danish situation now, please?

The main reason for the change was a shortage of numbers in the
central Copenhagen (our capitol - it has a population of approx. 1.2
million). Especially some of the centrals in the office district had a
shortage of numbers (the two first digits of the six digit number was
a central prefix). What the telcos have done is to implement a three
step plan:

1) make the area code compulsory - ie. 01 for Copenhagen.

2) differentiate the area code - the 01 for Copenhagen has been split
into 31,33,35,36,38,39 (no I don't know why they haven't used
32,34,37)

3) change the last 6 digits of the numbers in areas where this is
needed.

So far step 2 is implemented but you can still use the old area codes
inside Denmark 'til next year.

	Sergej