[comp.dcom.telecom] Bay of Eagle Fiasco

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (08/09/89)

OK, gang, another mystery from the AT&T system of the late 1960s-early 1970s:

Once upon a time, my brother (who was about ten years old at the time) picked
up the phone and dialed:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0

Somebody answered, my brother let loose with some good Oklahoma slang, then
hung up.  The phone rang IMMEDIATELY, and my mother (in another room) answered
on an extension.  It was a phone company rep (or so he claimed), who was
absolutely beside himself with the stunt my brother had just pulled.  He
refused to say exactly what had happened, other than to say that my brother had
called someplace "you weren't supposed to call" and that it had better not
happen again.  In fact, the rep felt that a personal visit to our home might be
a good idea.  My mother, understandably bewildered, suggested the rep phone
later when my father came home.  That later conversation apparently canceled
the personal visit.  Needless to say, my brother found himself in a wee bit of
hot water with my parents.

I've always wondered exactly what my brother did.  He doesn't remember it well,
and my parents don't remember enough details to help.  They did emphasize how
mad the rep was (although that might have been exaggerated to scare my
brother).

Any ideas?  The first digit dialed--"1"--would obviously open access to direct
long distance dialing (which was still fairly new in those days).  But the next
three digits--"234"--are not, and I presume were not--a valid area code.  If
they were, the last two digits--"90"--would be ignored.  I'm assuming the "234"
or some portion of it opened access to SOMETHING.  But why would such an
obvious sequence of numbers be assigned to anything?  The way kids are, I would
suspect that the number sequence "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0" is probably dialed
several times a day by children--not to mention drunks, curiosity seekers, and
the like.

I'd try it myself today, but I guess my parents made a big impression on us (I
still brush my teeth before going to bed, Mom!).  Also note the years involved:
Nixon was president, the nation was in flames, paranoia and heavy government
control ran rampant, and everybody suspected wiretaps, bugs, and illegal
government surveillance.  Call me paranoid, but while Nixon was president our
phone was constantly clicking, popping, and going dead.
--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Moderator's Note: I just now tried it of curiosity. Dialing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
sent me to immediate intercept with a message saying, "When dialing a call
outside the 312 area, you must dial '1' before the number. When calling
within 312, do not dial '1' first."    PT]

cdaf@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Charles Daffinger) (08/09/89)

>OK, gang, another mystery from the AT&T system of the late 1960s-early 1970s:

>Once upon a time, my brother (who was about ten years old at the time) picked
>up the phone and dialed:

>1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0

>[Moderator's Note: I just now tried it of curiosity. Dialing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
>sent me to immediate intercept with a message saying, "When dialing a call
>outside the 312 area, you must dial '1' before the number. When calling
>within 312, do not dial '1' first."    PT]

Here I got 'the number you have dialed has been disconnected or no longer in
service.  If you feel that you have dailed the correct number, please hang
up and try again.  Thank you.

-charles
--
Charles Daffinger  >Take me to the river, Drop me in the water<  (812) 339-7354
cdaf@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu              {pur-ee,rutgers,pyramid,ames}!iuvax!cdaf

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (08/10/89)

Somebody wrote,
>>Once upon a time, my brother (who was about ten years old at the time) picked
>>up the phone and dialed:
>
>>1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0

This was covered in Art Brothers' column "The Party Line" in Telephone
Engineer and Management a couple years back.  Now Art owns Beehive Tel
in Grouse Creek, Utah, which serves zillions of acres of barren desert,
with a thousand or so subscribers spread across six exchanges.
Seriously remote territory west of the salt flats and along the NV
border.  And Mountain Bell hates him.  (Art's a professional iconoclast
who may have gone into the phone business for the sake of being able to
argue with Ma Bell.  He's the first and often last thing I read in
TE&M.)

So when he opened a new exchange near some mining camp or other such
outpost (using Harris D-1200 PBXs as COs, btw), Ma gave him the prefix
"234".  Gee, that's a nice one, though Art.  Until he noticed thousands
of incompleted pegs to a vacant number.  Yep, 234-5678.

In Utah, as in many other areas, 1+ is used for all toll, including
intra-area code.  So 12345678 is a valid dialing arrangement.  The 90
doesn't do anything.
     fred

940se@mather1.af.mil (Pete Brown) (08/11/89)

>>Once upon a time, my brother (who was about ten years old at the time) picked
>>up the phone and dialed:
>
>>1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0
>
>>[Moderator's Note: I just now tried it of curiosity. Dialing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
>>sent me to immediate intercept with a message saying, "When dialing a call
>>outside the 312 area, you must dial '1' before the number. When calling
>>within 312, do not dial '1' first."    PT]

In Sacramento (916-364) I get "We're sorry, your call cannot be completed
as dialed..."

[Moderator's Note: Well here in Eye Bee Tee land, '234' is assigned to the
village of Lake Forest, IL. 234-5678 *was* a working number, but now goes
to the standard intercept message. Adding the '1' on the front causes the
problem, at least until 708 kicks in.  PT]

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (08/11/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0286m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>
cdaf@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Charles Daffinger) writes:
> >Once upon a time, my brother (who was about ten years old at the time)
picked
> >up the phone and dialed:
>
> >1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0

I tried it - 9, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 - and got
   tick, tick, tick... (unusual, regular, call progress clicks)
  "the person you are trying to reach is unavailable or out of our service
  area. Please try ..." and I forget the rest.

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469

peter@uunet.uu.net (08/11/89)

I just tried 9-1234567890. It was silent for a LONG time then started
ringing. No answer. What's weird is we have a ROLM PBX that doesn't
allow outside calls without an employee code #.

---
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"

osm@heifetz.ann-arbor.mi.us (Owen Scott Medd) (08/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0286m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>
>cdaf@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Charles Daffinger) writes:
>> >Once upon a time, my brother (who was about ten years old at the time)
>picked
>> >up the phone and dialed:
>>
>> >1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0

I tried the number here and got:

<ring, ring>

MichBell:  "You have reached 234-5678, a special test circuit.  If
	this is a long distance call, it will appear on your bill.
	Thank you."

At least they're polite...
--
USMail:   M & S Associates, 628 Brooks, Ann Arbor, MI  48103
Phone:	  +1 313 761-6624	FAX:	+1 313 971-0804

kent@husc6.harvard.edu (Kent Borg) (08/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0288m09@vector.dallas.tx.us> desnoyer@apple.com (Peter
Desnoyers) writes:
>I tried it - 9, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 - and got
>   tick, tick, tick... (unusual, regular, call progress clicks)
>  "the person you are trying to reach is unavailable or out of our service
>  area. Please try ..." and I forget the rest.

Our PBX traps it locally and gives me an immediate busy signal.

The phone on my desk says Ameritech on it.  The designers knew that
people expect to hear tones when they dial a push button phone, but
they are not using tones to communicate with the PBX, so they have two
single tones which alternate with each keystroke.

Are people so tone deaf that they are fooled??  I like hearing the
real touch-tones.  I get to know frequently called numbers, can dial
them quickly, and hear if I make a mistake.  Do many people use that
as an error checking feature, or is everyone deaf?

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uiucp
or
 ...!husc6!lloyd!kent

merlyn@omepd.intel.com (08/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0286m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:
|>OK, gang, another mystery from the AT&T system of the late 1960s-early 1970s:
|
|>Once upon a time, my brother (who was about ten years old at the time) picked
|>up the phone and dialed:
|
|>1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0
|
|>[Moderator's Note: I just now tried it of curiosity. Dialing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
|>sent me to immediate intercept with a message saying, "When dialing a call
|>outside the 312 area, you must dial '1' before the number. When calling
|>within 312, do not dial '1' first."    PT]
|
|Here I got 'the number you have dialed has been disconnected or no longer in
|service.  If you feel that you have dailed the correct number, please hang
|up and try again.  Thank you.

A local freebie classified-ads paper owner paid $BIG$ $MONEY$ for the
right to use the phone number 234-5678 for his paper.  Within one
month, he had so many kids calling 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 on the phone
blocking his lines, he just stuck an answer-only answering machine on
the line telling them to call some other number to place a classified
ad.

Them's the breaks...
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA                           |