[comp.dcom.telecom] Supervision of Operators

Miguel_Cruz@ub.cc.umich.edu (08/17/89)

Benson@odi.com writes in #288 about the "big brother" breathing down the
supposed necks of operators.  It's no secret that phone companies (and most
other places with similar service positions) time their operators'
performance.  But they don't, as you all but insist, get "fired" for
taking a little longer on a call.

If you're pleasant/talkative with an operator, he/she'll often take the
time to answer your question or whatever.  It's only if everyone who
called started asking for ringdowns in Rangoon that they'd get in trouble.
There's a such thing as leeway (it comes in the same package as common
sense), and operators know how much of it they have and they decide when
to use it.  They're people, understand?

david@indetech.uucp (David Kuder) (08/18/89)

In TELECOM-Digest: volume 9, issue 288, message 11 of 11 our moderator
writes:
>But, it is *overall* performance which counts, and not the call count being
>up or down in any specific time period. Telco management understands that
>different types of calls take varying amounts of time to handle.
>I wish some of the operators were not robotrons; but then some of
>the Business Office people are just as inflexible. The system does need
>repair, or at least some tweaking.

    Recently while riding the BART here I overheard some of the
management types discussing their day on the information switchboards.
One was apparently a supervisor of information operators, the rest were
drawn from jobs apparently not requiring interaction with customers.*
The non-operator types complained about the performance montinoring
display on their station.  It apparently showed how many calls had been
handled in a given time.  The supervisor quickly explained the key
sequence to clear the number saying that he disliked how poorly he did
these days.

   On the evening news the other day they interviewed a PacBell speech
writer filling in as an operator.  He wasn't too happy about it, but I
bet if they paid their operators as well as their speech writers there
wouldn't be a strike.
--
____*_  David A. Kuder              {sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!david
\  / /  Independence Technologies