[comp.dcom.telecom] Mich Bell Strike Brings Vandalism

bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) (08/16/89)

Somebody cut 1800 pairs with a chainsaw today.  Service was interupted
for Mich Bell customers in Troy and Madison Heights area.  Service
was also interupted to a local hospital, but Mich Bell established
service to the hospital with mobile phones until the lines can be
repaired.

The lines were cut in such a way that makes it extremely difficult to repair
according to a local news report.

The union denies that any of their members has anything to do with this
incident.  My personal opinion is that the timing is too close to
the strike to not be a disgrutled employee.

It's too bad that the strikes occur in the first place, but this type of
activity can't be tolerated.

aem@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (08/17/89)

bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) writes:
>The union denies that any of their members has anything to do with this
>incident.  My personal opinion is that the timing is too close to
>the strike to not be a disgrutled employee.

It is very rare for unions to encourage or know of any activities like this
by individual members. Unfortunately, people who already have strong anti-union
sentiments use incidents like this to cast shadows on unions and union activity
in general.  Management has done these type of things far more often than
unions, just to try to make unions look bad, which helps management to break
unions and further exploit workers.

Followups via email please.

aem

a.e.mossberg - aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu/aem@umiami.BITNET - Pahayokee Bioregion
Chances that a homeless American holds a full- or part-time jobs: 1 in 5
							- Harper's Index 2/89

wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us (Wolf Paul) (08/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0303m06@vector.dallas.tx.us aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
writes:
>bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) writes:
>>The union denies that any of their members has anything to do with this
>>incident.  My personal opinion is that the timing is too close to
>>the strike to not be a disgrutled employee.
>
>It is very rare for unions to encourage or know of any activities like this
>by individual members. Unfortunately, people who already have strong
>anti-union sentiments use incidents like this to cast shadows on unions and
>union activity
>in general.  Management has done these type of things far more often than
>unions, just to try to make unions look bad, which helps management to break
>unions and further exploit workers.

>Followups via email please.

There was a time in labor relations when both unions and management engaged
in these kinds of tactics; if you maintain that management still uses these
as widely as you seem to imply, you ought to back it up with some statistics,
not just make a statement like this.

It could well have been a disgruntled employee, without the union being
aware of it or having encouraged it.

As someone else pointed out, the Baby Bells really have nothing to lose:
People are still using the phones, while they are paying fewer employees,
and if the service deteriorates, that's all right, people have nowhere else
to turn anyway. Therefore I do not see the Baby Bells using such drastic and
potentially backfiring tactics. We're talking federal offense here.

And b.t.w: having made a controversial statement, don't try to discourage
public discussion of it by redirecting to email. That's a cop-out.

UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".