[comp.dcom.telecom] 100th Anniversary of the Pay Phone

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (08/14/89)

Sunday, August 13 marked the 100th anniversary of the invention of the pay
phone. In 1889, William Gray obtained United States Patent # 408,709 for
his invention, "A Coin Controlled Apparatus for Telephones".

The first payphone was installed in January, 1890 at the Hartford Bank,
in Hartford, CT. Today, a century later, there are an estimated two million
payphones throughout the United States.

So the story goes, Gray's inspiration came of necessity. He had asked someone
to allow him to use their phone to make an urgent call to his sick wife,
and they refused, even when he offered to pay for the call.

He had a hard time convincing people that his invention would be useful
or profitable. When Grand Central Terminal in New York City placed its
first order in the early nineties, the management was only willing to
purchase one instrument, and then only a consignment basis, after Gray
offered to take it back with no obligation in two months if the new type
phone did not prove itself.

Now there are payphones everywhere. There are payphones in the White House,
and payphones in the middle of Death Valley, CA. Until the middle 1950's
one might still see a very old "Gray Electric Company" payphone in service
somewhere. The price has changed as well: For the first 59 years, until
1948, a local call cost a nickle. In that year, most telcos raised their
price for a call to a dime. Some, like New Orleans, LA, remained at the
five cent rate for several more years. In the late sixties, most payphones were
charging fifteen or twenty cents per call. The price has been twenty-five
cents in most places now for several years.

Happy Birthday!

Patrick Townson

johnl@uunet.uu.net (John Levine) (08/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0295m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> our moderator writes:
>In the late sixties, most payphones were charging fifteen or twenty cents
>per call. The price has been twenty-five cents in most places now for
>several years.

Ten cent payphones are still the norm in most New England states, except for
COCOTs, of course. I guess we're just thriftier than the rest of you.

The last I heard, Taconic Tel, a small independent telco that serves the
area around Chatham NY, near the Massachusetts border, still remains the
last refuge of the five cent pay phone.  It is my impression that they don't
have enough of them to make it worth the effort to go before the PUC and
change the rate.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, johnl@ima.isc.com, Levine@YALE.something

mclek@gatech.edu (Larry E. Kollar) (08/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0295m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
(TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>The price [for a payphone call] has been twenty-five cents in most places now
>for several years.

Standard Telephone, in northeast Georgia, still has 10-cent payphones.  But
then again, most Dawsonville merchants will let you use their phone to make
a local call (comes in handy when the wife sends you to the store & you
forgot what she wanted :-).

In 1980, I had a job as a "galley hand" (cook's go-fer) on the Gulf drilling
platforms.  The little telco that served Beaumont (? memory's fuzzy) TX had
a FIVE-cent payphone in an office where we waited for the helicopter.

--
Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
: life BEGIN funds @ enough_to_retire < WHILE work REPEAT ;

johnw@gatech.edu (John Wheeler) (08/16/89)

(TELECOM Moderator) writes:
>The price has been twenty-five cents in most places now for several years.

It's still a dime in Dawson County, GA...how many places can still say that?
--
		  Turner                                       John Wheeler
     E N T E R T A I N M E N T     ...!gatech!nanovx!techwood!johnw

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (08/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0298m09@vector.dallas.tx.us>, esegue!johnl@uunet.uu.
net (John Levine) writes:

> The last I heard, Taconic Tel, a small independent telco that serves the
> area around Chatham NY, near the Massachusetts border, still remains the
> last refuge of the five cent pay phone.  It is my impression that they don't
> have enough of them to make it worth the effort to go before the PUC and
> change the rate.

This is still true.  Taconic Telephone brags about their nickel pay phones
quite a bit.  I suspect that pay phones are a money losing product for Taconic,
but that they pay off in the long run in good PR.  At least once a year the
_New_York_Times_ runs a feature article on "the nation's last nickel pay
phones."  This is good for Taconic, as most of their customers are transplanted
New York Citians.  Taconic actually serves a fairly large area, covering much
of New York State east of the Hudson between Troy and Poughkeepsie.

Semi-related trivia question: Name the famous movie in which the following line
was uttered:  "THERE'S a phone call that'll cost more than a nickel."

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dt5y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (08/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0299m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> John Wheeler <techwood!johnw@gatech.edu> writes:

>In article <telecom-v09i0295m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
>(TELECOM Moderator) writes:
>>The price has been twenty-five cents in most places now for several years.

>It's still a dime in Dawson County, GA...how many places can still say that?
>		  Turner                                       John Wheeler
>                 Networks

It's still a dime in ConTel service areas near (and between) Cortland and
Ithaca, NY, and I suspect also in other ConTel areas throughout other
Upstate NY places no one has heard of (like Eagle Bay :-) ).

N.B. The ConTel payphones around here were all tone 3 years before NY Tel
started installing tone payphones hereabouts. NY Tel *still* has some
dial payphones in this area!

Pete, KB2CCL
dt5y@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

r4@mvuxd.att.com (Richard R Grady, Jr) (08/18/89)

(TELECOM Moderator) writes:
> [...]   In the late sixties, most payphones were
>charging fifteen or twenty cents per call. The price has been twenty-five
>cents in most places now for several years.

Payphones still cost a dime in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Dick Grady              r_r_grady@att.com             ...!att!mvuxd!r4
The above opinions are mine, and not necessarily those of my employer.

amb@cs.columbia.edu (Andrew Boardman) (08/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0302m09@vector.dallas.tx.us> it was quoth:
>N.B. The ConTel payphones around here were all tone 3 years before NY Tel
>started installing tone payphones hereabouts. NY Tel *still* has some
>dial payphones in this area!

NYT has lots of them all over New York City today!  It is my impression that
they would rather just install a new payphone rather than convert an old one.
Although I would be *extremely* suprised if there was anyplace else with a
higher density of public phones, it's still hard to find one during peak hours.

[Digression, for those that keep track of these things: repairs on my CO
were just completed this morning after the chainsaw job someone did on it
in the middle of last week.]

 Andrew Boardman             amb@cs.columbia.edu     ROLM is a four letter
(and if you really have to, ab4@cunixc on bitnet)           word.

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (08/19/89)

(TELECOM Moderator) writes:
> Sunday, August 13 marked the 100th anniversary of the invention of the pay
> phone. In 1889, William Gray obtained United States Patent # 408,709 for

Thanks, Patrick, for an interesting item.

We have a local DJ who, every summer, has people call in with the
numbers of pay phones in unusual spots which they noticed while on
vacation.  Then he calls the numbers, and, if anyone picks up, talks to
them about the weather where they are, etc.  It's kind of comical
sometimes.  I remember one time, the pay phone was out on a dock at
Cape Cod.

Anyway, what unusual spots have people seen pay phones in?

Although, it wasn't a pay phone, the most unusual spot I've seen a
working phone in was...a submarine!  At Portsmouth, NH, they have a
retired experimental submarine, the AGS Albacore, on display in a
little lagoon near Route 1.  We went on one of their little tours once,
and at some point, the guide left our group alone for a few minutes.
There was this phone in there, and it started ringing.  We didn't know
whether to answer or not, but finally one brave soul picked it up and
said "Hello".  No, it wasn't a call from CINCLANT, but someone who
wanted to know if they were open that day.

Apparently they had an extension strung out from the office to the sub.
We couldn't help but speculate on how neat it would be to call somebody
up and say "Hi, I'm calling from a submarine."

--
"ANGRY WOMEN BEAT UP SHOE SALESMAN   Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 WHO POSED AS GYNECOLOGIST"

roy%phri@uunet.uu.net (Roy Smith) (08/19/89)

	My recollection is that pay phones in Mexico City are free!
Partly, I guess, because they can't keep up with the constantly changing
coinage as inflation takes its toll (if this were RISKS instead of TELECOM,
I'm sure the moderator would find some pun to make of that).

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"