[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint Bashing Should Stop!

rick@uunet.uu.net (Rick Adams) (08/13/89)

> Chances are your Sprint rep friend will tell you they do not have 'call
> supervision equipment' and cannot tell when the call actually starts.  PT]

Sprint claims that they have call supervision equipment in all areas that
offer equal access.

Why the continuing Sprint bashing? They aren't nearly as half-assed as
you seem determined to present them.

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (08/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0294m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, rick@uunet.uu.net (Rick
Adams) writes:
> Why the continuing Sprint bashing? They aren't nearly as half-assed as
> you seem determined to present them.

Here are a couple of recent observations.

They still have a very cavalier attitude toward service. They strongly
suggest that they have far more important things to worry about that
whether your call goes through and you can contact your UUCP neighbor
in St. Marys, KS. As I was told, "Not many people call there so it's
naturally not one of our major priorities." Well, thanks for your help,
sir.

The second thing is their billing. I have been really annoyed to
received bills for calls made four months in the past, particularly
when they are calls to be billed back to clients. You can imagine the
warm reception I get from my client's accounts payable when they
receive a bill for work long done and forgotten about.

And finally, when was the last time you even tried to reach "customer
service"? I have literally given up after thirty minutes of waiting
and listening to their "commercials on hold" or their musak-on-hold
that consists of three songs in rotation, over and over and over. When
someone finally does answer, on many occasions I have been cut off and
had to start the whole laborious procedure all over again.

As long a Sprint has pretentions to being a major long distance
carrier, they are going to have to live up to some minimum standards.
If they provide satisfactory service for you, then fine. But for many
of us, they fall short of the mark. It's not really in the spirit of free
information exchange for us to just take it and be quiet. I'm sorry if
you consider the mentioning of legitimate complaints to be bashing, but
I hope the DIGEST never sinks to a level of inoccuous fluff.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) (08/15/89)

Adams) writes:
>Sprint claims that they have call supervision equipment in all areas that
>offer equal access.
>Why the continuing Sprint bashing? They aren't nearly as half-assed as
>you seem determined to present them.

Perhaps because what Sprint claims in call supervision is not really call
supervision.  They use 'energy detect', a  half assed method of determining if
somebody really did answer on many of their small town connections.  Try
dealing with Sprint as a heavy usage subscriber.  If you compare the amount of
lines running to a particular small town vs say AT&T (no contest) or MCI,
Sprint is sadly lacking.  I had a case where I needed *lots* of lines running
to Myrtle Bay, and Sprint had something like 4, where MCI had 4 T-spans!!!
This was not some strange case, either, rather the norm.

In any case, the number of Sprint terminations with true supervision, is not
the same as the number of Sprint terminations which they claim have 'answer
supervision'.

Also, Sprint (at least in this area) continuously used to give me service
problems, including such things as 'modifying' their service to only give one
way talk path before answer supervision without notification (1-800s emulating
FGB service need this).  I did have many problems with MCI too, but all of the
'memorable' experiences seem to have been with Sprint.

--
Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul

rick@uunet.uu.net (Rick Adams) (08/15/89)

Background:

My Sprint bill is $30,000 - $40,000 per month. My phone bill comes in a big
box with detail of every call. I have NEVER found one of those details
to be a call that was not answered.

I switched to Sprint because of the lousy service I got from ATT (just
like you described as receiving from Sprint). I've never had that sort
of problem with Sprint.

I consider the offhanded and uninformed response of the moderator that
"Sprint doesn't have answer supervision" to be uncalled for bashing.
It is not factual and it as uncalled for.

Just because they offer lousy residential service, you can't damn the entire
company for it. If they happen to make a business decision to care
less about residential services, than business services, fine. Don't
use them from your home. However, you would be a fool to refuse to
consider them for business use based on their residential services.

(I use ATT at home and Sprint at work. ATT is superior with residential
service and inferior with business service.)

My basic complaint is that too much information on this list is either
hearsay or outdated or just plain wrong. I have nothing against
savaging a vendor who's screwing up (readers of comp.sys.sequent will
attest to that). However, I do feel that we should be dealing in facts
rather than inuendo. The amount of pro-ATT bigotry is astounding.

For some reason, very little of the Sprint "information" is factual or
current. This is what I object to.

---rick

tom@gatech.edu (Tom Wiencko) (08/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0299m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> rick@uunet.uu.net (Rick
Adams) writes:
>Background:
>My Sprint bill is $30,000 - $40,000 per month. My phone bill comes in a big
>box with detail of every call. I have NEVER found one of those details
>to be a call that was not answered.

>I consider the offhanded and uninformed response of the moderator that
>"Sprint doesn't have answer supervision" to be uncalled for bashing.
>It is not factual and it as uncalled for.

>For some reason, very little of the Sprint "information" is factual or
>current. This is what I object to.

Nonsense.  Sprint will admit it to you if you push them hard enough.

With this large a phone bill, unless you happen to make long calls to
areas with Feature Group D trunks, it is almost impossible for you not to
have some 1 minute phone calls (or whatever minimum billing interval Sprint
happens to use on your account) which are not real completed calls.  The
technology is simply not in place for them to be able to provide call
supervision everywhere (unless they get Feature Group C lines as I mentioned
in a previous message).

This is not "Sprint bashing"; this is simple exposure of the facts of the
matter.  The fact that you find Sprint's service and billing procedures
acceptable does not mean that it is acceptable to everyone, and in particular,
it does not mean that they take the same good care of residental or small
business customers.  Not all of us have $30,000 phone bills, but would like
to get quality phone service, accurate billing, and reasonable response to
problems.

I, for one, have have good experiences with Sprint line quality, but horrid
experiences with their billing and so-called "security" procedures.  I have
had months where 40% (yes, almost half) of the calls on a Sprint bill were
one minute calls which actually were busy, no answer, or even dropped calls.

So believe it when people complain about Sprint's billing procedures.  There
is proof.  They will even occasionally admit it themselves.

Tom

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/17/89)

I wasn't one of the Sprint bashers but your comment:

> Just because they offer lousy residential service, you can't damn the entire
> company for it. If they happen to make a business decision to care
> less about residential services, than business services, fine. Don't
> use them from your home. However, you would be a fool to refuse to
> consider them for business use based on their residential services.

Sure I can damn the entire company for it.  I had very unfortunate experiences
with Sprint about two and a half years ago that convinced me that I would
never want to use them again.  Just last May (much more current information
that they have not changed their ways)  I had another run in with them and
again as a residential customer I got screwed by them.  The local operating
company told me that the type of complaints I had were common place with
Sprint (Sprint gratuitously changed my mother's long distance carrier to them,
Sprint claims C&P Telephone did it, C&P claims Sprint instigated it).

If they want to screw me as an individual they've already lost a lot of ground
as to my objectivity of me committing my whole business to such levels of treachery.

-Ron

ben@sybase.com (ben ullrich) (08/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0294m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>,
	rick@uunet.uu.net (Rick Adams) writes:

> > Chances are your Sprint rep friend will tell you they do not have 'call
> > supervision equipment' and cannot tell when the call actually starts.  PT]

> Sprint claims that they have call supervision equipment in all areas that
> offer equal access.

> Why the continuing Sprint bashing? They aren't nearly as half-assed as
> you seem determined to present them.

How are they not half-assed??  Unless you give good reasons for the
``bashing'' to stop, there will be no motivation to do so.  And
``Claims'' by Sprint are no better than any ``bashing.''  Let's see
some real answers.

 ...ben
----
ben ullrich	       consider my words disclaimed,if you consider them at all
sybase, inc., emeryville, ca	"When you deal with human beings, a certain
+1 (415) 596 - 3500	       amount of nonsense is inevitable." -- mike trout
ben@sybase.com			       {pyramid,pacbell,sun,lll-tis}!sybase!ben

peter@uunet.uu.net (08/18/89)

I have AT&T set up as my primary home service, with SPRINT set up as
my secondary service. That way bills for my calls on 10333 don't get
sent through the wringer. I'm pleased with Sprint and have had no problems
with them.

I used to use MCI, but after getting the runaround, and having them
charge me business rates for residential service (at that time residential
service was limited to off-peak hours, so I got a business account. The
first time I tried to use them during the day I couldn't. They refused
to credit me for the extra charges!), I'll never use them again. MCI
Mail is a different matter, though.
---
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
"Optimization is not some mystical state of grace, it is an intricate act   U
   of human labor which carries real costs and real risks." -- Tom Neff

ben@sybase.com (ben ullrich) (08/19/89)

> My Sprint bill is $30,000 - $40,000 per month. My phone bill comes in a big
> box with detail of every call. I have NEVER found one of those details
> to be a call that was not answered.

How often did you check every record?  How can you be so sure about so many
calls?

> I consider the offhanded and uninformed response of the moderator that
> "Sprint doesn't have answer supervision" to be uncalled for bashing.
> It is not factual and it as uncalled for.

Not really.  Where is your counter-evidence?

> Just because they offer lousy residential service, you can't damn the entire
> company for it. If they happen to make a business decision to care
> less about residential services, than business services, fine. Don't
> use them from your home. However, you would be a fool to refuse to
> consider them for business use based on their residential services.

This is inane.  A good deal of business service provided by them is over the
same type of lines, and of course the network is all the same.  Besides, a
``business decision'' doesn't give them the right to rip people off and do
nothing about it.  That type of ``business decision'' is a fairly cowardly
one: businesses are much less likely to complain about (let alone EXAMINE)
their bills than residential folks are.  With business service, Sprint can
make tons of money and not have to be accountable for their billing.

And believe me, they do this.  Sybase used to be a $14 K per month customer of
Sprint's.  After a year of ignoring us (no representative contact), and six
months of DISMAL international service (many calls to the UK not completing or
being cut off for weeks at a time, as well as nearly non-functional
international FAX service), I moved us to a T-based service with MCI, saving
34% and getting better customer service, international, and FAX quality than
we have ever experienced.  I remember all the mornings I came in at 6 to be
with the international marketing folks to listen in on their calls and make
records of calls to the UK so Sprint could tell me there was nothing wrong with
anything at that time.  ``I'll fill out a trouble ticket,'' they said.  ... and
toss it in the garbage, I thought.  I'll never forget the nerve of my customer
service rep when she told me that anyone could bill calls to our numbers with
no verification.  ``Everyone [ATT, MCI, etc.] does it,'' she said.  She also
said she'd take the charge off.  That was in March; the amount is still being
billed to us to this day.

> My basic complaint is that too much information on this list is either
> hearsay or outdated or just plain wrong. I have nothing against
> savaging a vendor who's screwing up (readers of comp.sys.sequent will
> attest to that). However, I do feel that we should be dealing in facts
> rather than inuendo. The amount of pro-ATT bigotry is astounding.
> For some reason, very little of the Sprint "information" is factual or
> current. This is what I object to.

It sounds more like you just don't like the fact that your company isn't
thrilling the majority of readers here.  Your ``information'' on the subject
is no more credible than anyone else's.  You relate your experiences with
hearsay, everyone else does too.  Why is everyone else wrong just because you
don't like their conclusions?  Don't you sort of wonder why there aren't
more people saying praises of Sprint?