[comp.dcom.telecom] Touring the Central Office

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (08/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0285m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> john@zygot.uucp writes:
> Something that every reader of this group should do is take a tour of a
> local central office. I would kill for that opportunity now with all
> the advances in the past few years such as COSMOS, electronic
> switching, etc. But I never will forget the several times I toured
> local offices, both officially (with a public tour) and unofficially
> (with a friend who was a supervisor in the office).

	It is becoming extremely difficult for even an organized group
to tour a central office in any BOC area.  BOC's are particularly paranoid
(perhaps rightfully so) about outside people being in any central office.
There is virtually zero chance of any individual being afforded a tour of
a central office, unless it is, ahem, an "unauthorized" tour courtesy of a
friend (who may do so with considerable risk to their job).

	Independent operating telephone companies may be much more
accomodating, however.  Some independent telephone companies even encourage
customers to "see their wares".  As an example, the closet independent
telephone company in my area, Sanborn Telephone Co. (part of Iroquois
Telephone, which is part of the Continental System) has a large window
in their business office which looks out into the switchroom.  However,
Sanborn is a rather "small town" area with well under 4,000 telephone
subscribers.

	When's the last time you could pay your telephone bill and watch
the switchgear at the same time? :-)

> There was a room with a bunch of little odometer-like counters,
> thousands of them. While I was standing there, suddenly the lights went
> out, there was a flash, and then the lights came back on. They actually
> photographed the dials for traffic studies.

	For many years photographing message registers were the only
way to BILL subscribers for message rate service.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP   {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/     \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"

ron@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/15/89)

I've always found it much easier to get a tour set up with an AT&T installation
than with the local phone company.  I guess they decided they need the PR more.

-Ron

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (08/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0294m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, kitty!larry
@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) writes:
> 	It is becoming extremely difficult for even an organized group
> to tour a central office in any BOC area.  BOC's are particularly paranoid
> (perhaps rightfully so) about outside people being in any central office.

Things must have been different in years gone by. Twice (in the early
60's) there was a little bill insert inviting the subscriber to an
"open house". There were two dates given and when you showed up, you
got a tour of your (my) central office. This was the ANdrews (San Jose)
office that served my telephones. Around that same era, a friend of
mine got a similar invitation in his bill to tour the AXminster (Santa
Clara) office.

About fourteen years ago Pac*Bell invited radio engineering types to visit
the downtown San Jose office. We saw the crossbar, the ESS, the AT&T
tandem (it was all AT&T then), and even the employee lunch room! About
three years ago, radio engineering types were invited to tour the
Bush/Pine office in San Francisco where we saw the ESS, the video
switching center in the Grant St. building, and a Telephone Pioneers
exhibit.

> There is virtually zero chance of any individual being afforded a tour of
> a central office, unless it is, ahem, an "unauthorized" tour courtesy of a
> friend (who may do so with considerable risk to their job).

Oh, I was reminded of that in no uncertain terms (I was palmed off as
someone from the Fresno area that worked for Pacific Telephone!) But
organized tours have been most plentiful. Pac*Bell is very image
conscious and they may feel that this is one way of enhancing that.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (08/19/89)

> In article <telecom-v09i0285m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> john@zygot.uucp writes:
> > Something that every reader of this group should do is take a tour of a
> > local central office. I would kill for that opportunity now with all

When I was in college in Ithaca, NY (in the 70s), they had an open
house at the CO.  It was definitely a good time.  Strangely enough,
the staff were extremely open with us.

First, we were walked through the racks, and a technician asked one
person in the group what her phone number was.  He traced over and down
and showed her where her line was connected.  "That's your phone
number, right there."  I remember being impressed with the amount of
time they spent just checking their equipment and cabling--according to
the technician, 75% of their efforts were just spent testing.  While we
were there, a bell started ringing, and a bare light bulb mounted over
a door started flashing.  "Oh, don't worry, just a minor alarm", he
said, and ignored it.

(Of course, I also remember thinking about how little work they
performed in turning on your service--being a student, I was acutely
aware of how much it cost!)

Next, we were bussed over to a separate location, where the operators
and other staff were located.  They showed us their latest equipment
acquisition--which they seemed particularly proud of--a PPCS board
(Person-to-Person/Collect/Special, or so they told us).  This was
great, they said, because if someone were making a collect call, they
could dial the number right in, and it was displayed on the board for
the operator to see.

I remember they also told us how operators had to listen for the beeps
made when someone was inserting coins in a pay phone, and even admitted
that sometimes people put the coins in too fast for the operator to
keep track of.  I was surprised to hear them say this, since it's
almost inviting people to rip them off, but it shows how honest they
were being.  I asked how long they waited before re-assigning phone
numbers, since I had been getting a lot of calls for the previous
assignee.  They said they waited a year, but when I mentioned my
problem, they admitted that, in neighborhoods where there was high
concentration of students (obviously with a high turnover rate) they
would sometimes re-assign them in only 9 months.  Well, at least they
didn't cop out.

I wish I could remember more of what I saw, and that I had had more
knowledge then about what I did see.  But I agree, it definitely is
worth doing if the opportunity ever comes up.
--
"ANGRY WOMEN BEAT UP SHOE SALESMAN   Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 WHO POSED AS GYNECOLOGIST"

jimmy@denwa.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (08/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0298m07> bovine!john@apple.com (Higgy Baby) writes:

>In article <telecom-v09i0294m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, kitty!larry
>@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) writes:
>> 	It is becoming extremely difficult for even an organized group
>> to tour a central office in any BOC area.  BOC's are particularly paranoid
>> (perhaps rightfully so) about outside people being in any central office.
>
>Things must have been different in years gone by.

I believe they were.  In the late 1970s, I got tours of several COs
just by picking up the phone in front of the building and asking if I
could come in and look around.  I can't imagine them letting someone in
like that today.

My first tour, in fact, was on a Saturday.  The lone switchman on duty
let my friend and I in, and we must have been there 4 hours, just
chatting and touring.  He did make us promise that we would not tell
anyone that he let us in, but I just can't imagine someone risking his
job like that in this current age of hackers and outright criminals.
--
                              Jim Gottlieb
  E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>