[comp.dcom.telecom] Consolidated Billing For All Lines

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (08/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0311m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> Mike Morris <morris@jade.
jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

>Comment aside:  When will Ma Bell offer combined billing?  Sprint lists
>                the toll calls from both lines on one bill (saving postage,
>                paper (a.k.a. trees), etc. Why can't Ma Bell? (In my case,
>                Pacific Bell)

In the Chicago 'burbs about 9-10 years ago, I convinced my parents to
put in a second line  for me to use.  We checked out the options and
found that the best thing for us was to add a second line, but have
both lines charge against a single "CallPack 60" service.

CallPack 60  mean that we could make up to 60 units of calls and would
be charged beyond that.  Local calls were free, calls to the rest of
the Chicago area (AC 312) were charged a x units/min. based on
distance.

So we had both lines charging against the CallPack without distinction
as to which line they originated on.  Same for LD calls.  For this we
had to pay the one-time installation charge and a few dollars a month
for the second line, in addition to the CallPack 60, which they
already had.

Although I'm not there anymore, they still have the second line and as
far as I know, the billing arrangement has survived to the present.  I
have no idea if this service had a special name, or if you can still
get it, but it may the same as PT referred to in his addendum to the
note I quoted.  It was great for us, since almost all of my calls were
local.

--
David Bernholdt			bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold@ufpine.bitnet

[Moderator's Note: Call-paks and modem-all-night-for-a-nickle in northern
Illinois went the way of the California Condor, I am afraid. Everyone in
312 except Central Telephone Company subscribers, i.e. all Illinois Bell
residence subscribers now get an approximate eight mile radius of 'local
calling' billed at one unit, untimed. Everything else is pay as you use
it, even in the Chicago metro area. But we still get consolidated billing.
All phone lines on the same prefix under your control can be billed on one
invoice, and all usage requirements relating to discounts or savings (i.e.
Reach Out America) can be spread over the same lines.   PT]