[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Mail and the Internet

crum%lipari.usc.edu@usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (08/15/89)

What is the relationship between AT&T Mail and the internet?  By
"internet", I mean the collection of computer networks that exchange
information with the Internet (NSFNET backbone and regionals and other
TCP/IP networks accessible at the IP level from NSFNET sites) and
world UUCP network (described by comp.mail.maps postings, larger than
the set of sites receiving USENET news).

If there exists a two-way gateway service between the AT&T Mail
Network and the world UUCP network, then I would consider AT&T Mail
part of the internet (not Internet -- following the distinction
between "internet" and "Internet" used by A. Tanenbaum and D. Comer
in their respective books, "Computer Networks" and "Internetworking with
TCP/IP").

Does anyone have a better name and description for what I am calling
"the world UUCP network"?

I ask about all this, because I received literature about AT&T Mail
today.  The literature doesn't even mention any of
{NSFNET,BITNET,CSNET,UUCP, USENET}.  Yet, it does mention UNIX and
states "AT&T Mail lets you send messages to almost anywhere in the
world through service and delivery options like MailFAX, telex, and
special gateway interfaces.

If there is a gateway between AT&T Mail and the "world UUCP network", then
it seems that the services provided by AT&T Mail and UUNET overlap somewhat.
Perhaps AT&T Mail is closer to MCI Mail.

A related issue is the relationship between the world UUCP network and
the TCP/IP Internet.

The AT&T Mail technical representative didn't know what I meant by
world UUCP network, USENET, Internet, and TCP/IP.  She started talking
about gateway interface products (e.g. MHS X.400) when I asked about
gateways.  Maybe I should have used the word "relay".

Gary Crum

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (08/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0296m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, crum%lipari.usc.edu@usc.
edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
> If there is a gateway between AT&T Mail and the "world UUCP network", then
> it seems that the services provided by AT&T Mail and UUNET overlap somewhat.
> Perhaps AT&T Mail is closer to MCI Mail.

For those that prefer it, AT&T mail offers a UUCP connection to a
subscribing site. Hence, all communications is done on the subscriber's
existing mail software and the fact that it is carried by AT&T Mail is
invisible to the users.

> The AT&T Mail technical representative didn't know what I meant by
> world UUCP network, USENET, Internet, and TCP/IP.  She started talking
> about gateway interface products (e.g. MHS X.400) when I asked about
> gateways.  Maybe I should have used the word "relay".

I subscribe to AT&T Mail via UUCP, therefore my site has AT&T Mail as a
UUCP neighbor. There is no "gateway" as such, unless you consider all
of AT&T Mail's subscribers who use UUCP to be gateways. When talking to
an AT&T Mail technical person say "UNIX" rather than "UUCP" and you
will probably get farther.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

jimmy@denwa.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (08/20/89)

edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:

>What is the relationship between AT&T Mail and the internet?
>
>If there exists a two-way gateway service between the AT&T Mail
>Network and the world UUCP network, then I would consider AT&T Mail
>part of the internet (not Internet
>
>Perhaps AT&T Mail is closer to MCI Mail.

Well, that's how they seem to push it to the public.  When I originally
called to order the service (wanting to hook up to it via a UUCP
connection), the representative told me that I must have an
IBM-compatible to use the service.  I told her she was wrong, but she
insisted.

The literature states something like "You may connect to UNIX sites
(only registered sites)..."  meaning only Unix sites that subscribe to
AT&T Mail.

There is a gateway between the Internet and att, and by extension
attmail, but I don't think they advertise that.  They would rather that
every Unix site be a registered (read "paying") user.

In any case, I am now a happy subscriber.  I love being able to send
faxum by e-mail.  I do have an on-site fax machine, but I'm often
willing to pay the fee to avoid the hassles of printing it out, taking
the paper over to the fax machine...  Especially nice is being able to
send an e-mail message to friends with e-mail and those with a fax, all
at the same time.
--
                              Jim Gottlieb
  E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>

psrc@att.att.com (08/23/89)

In an earlier issue of the digest, Gary Crum asks:
> What is the relationship between AT&T Mail and the internet?

I'm not going to get involved in the discussion of "internet" vs.
"Internet" vs. "USENET" vs. "world-wide UUCP network"; I'll just handle
the AT&T Mail question.

AT&T Mail is a commercial electronic messaging service.  Since day one,
we've accepted messages from registered systems using UUCP.  We also
have gateways to X.400, Telex, remote local area networks, and PROFS;
XMODEM support for personal computers (and good front-end software for
MS-DOS systems and Macintoshes); and delivery to FAX machines, remote
printers, paper addresses, and telephones.  We charge for message
delivery and on-line message creation; receiving and reading messages
is free.

If you want to send e-mail to someone on AT&T Mail (or through AT&T
Mail), you have to find someone to foot the bill.  (I can get the
current price schedule to the Digest, if there's enough interest.)
The easiest way is to register your own system.  The second easiest way
is to find someone who's already registered, and who's willing to pass
your traffic along (and settle the costs with you in some manner).
Note that if you're sending lots of international FAX messages, these
bills can be steep!

If someone already on (or connected to) AT&T Mail wants to send e-mail
to someone on the Internet, the situation is a little easier (since the
billing's already been taken care of).  Any gateway will work, so it
should be easier to find someone to pass messages along.

In practice, most commercial AT&T Mail users are only interested in
exchanging messages with other commercial mail service users (and paper
and FAX delivery).  People who want to connect with the Internet
(especially AT&T employees) usually have logins on UNIX systems that
can connect to the rest of the network.

If you're trying to reach someone, and the only contact information you
have is an AT&T Mail address, let me know; I'll try to get the two of
you in touch.  (But please don't, as someone already has, tell me,
"Such-and-so in on AT&T Mail, and his telephone number is this, how do
I reach him?")  The AT&T Mail Customer Assistance Center doesn't know
what the word "Internet" means, let alone how to reach it, so calling
them may not be much help.

Yes, two of the other commercial e-mail services have just announced
gateways to the Internet which are free (or where someone's picking up
the bill).  I've told my management about it.

To register your system with AT&T Mail, or for other AT&T Mail
questions, please call the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance Center,
1-800-MAIL-672 (1-800-624-5672).

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.