[comp.dcom.telecom] Book Review: "The Phone Book"

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (08/24/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0314m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, Miguel_Cruz@ub.cc.umich.
edu writes:
> David Fisk wrote in digest #308 about a book called "The Phone Book".
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a copy of it?  I've been looking for quite
> some time.  The University of Michigan has it listed in the card catalog, but
> nobody can find it.  Likewise at 3 other state schools.  Did someone go

Sorry, I should have provided some more information on this book.
Turns out there are a number of books called "The Phone Book."
The one I was referring to is by a "J. Edward Hyde"--the book flap says
this is the "nom de plume of a former middle-management employee of the
phone company who is now a magazine editor, teacher, and free-lance
writer."

I checked the Books in Print Database, and apparently the book is not
in print.  If it's any help, here is the imprint:

J. Edward Hyde, The Phone Book:  What the telephone company would
rather you not know, Henry Regnery Company, Chicago, 1976.

It's been a while since I read the book, so I'm going to re-read it.
I'll post telecom-relevant snippets as I come across them.

As a teaser, here is the text from the dust cover.  I should point out
that it contains a bit of hype.  The book is not quite as anti-AT&T as
this makes it sound.

"On the hundredth anniversary of the corporation known as AT&T--or,
more familiarly, Ma Bell--here's something that actually gives the
country a reason to celebrate; a book written by a former telephone
company insider that tells you what the phone company would rather you
didn't know.

"The Phone Book reveals for the first time precisely how the
60-billion-dollar company manages to thrive in spite of its almost
incredible foul-ups in service; a discriminatory, army-style personnel
system; a monolithic red-tape bureaucracy; and a 'public be damned'
style of operating at the expense of both users and would-be
competitors.  It furthermore tells how the scads of rules (many of them
contradicting each other), idiosyncrasies, and quirks in the system can
sometimes be exploited by the customer on his behalf, for a change.

"Here are just a few of the items discussed in the book that the phone
company would rather you not know about:

" - why your phone may be tapped or your service cut off at the will of
a company employee, without any right to appeal by you.

" - what extraordinary reprisals have been taken against such
'unfriendlies' as customers bewildered by erroneous billings;
well-intentioned employees--including the author--who take the side of
the customer (how, in fact, one high-level executive committed suicide,
leaving a note that stated: 'Watergate is a gnat compared to the Bell
system'); Ramparts magazine (which was forced to withdraw an entire
issue); as well as coin-box thieves and phone phreaks.

" - why Bell bills a month in advance, and why it often demands
deposits from certain types of customers, among them single women and
people with accents.

" - why calls often don't go through, and how the New York City phone
fiasco of 1969-1970 could happen anywhere.

" - why you should ask for detailed billing explanations, especially if
you get a charge marked 'O.C.C.'

" - how to deal with service reps to get the most for your money, plus
dos and don'ts for getting action from operators, installation people,
or their supervisors.

" - how the company made $15 million by introducing colored phones.

" - why the company's dictatorial attitude has enabled competitors to
be first with equipment improvements, delayed the Picture Phone for
three-quarters of a century, and slowed the development of the Computer
Age.

" - why WATS lines are not the budget slicers they might seem, and how
to cut that first WATS bill in half.

" - how Bell System employees have been able to sell nonpublished
numbers lists, customer long distance usage sheets, and customer
preplanning data to outside businesses.

" - why special billing numbers are better than phone credit cards.

" - why businesses must routinely overlease to get the equipment they
need.

" - how curious employees have been encouraged to develop the habit of
listening in on private calls and trading 'hotpants' numbers.

" - why Bell would be doing itself--and everybody else--a favor by
getting out of the phone business.

" - but not why you must pay for the right to have an unlisted number
(there is no good answer)."

--
"ANGRY WOMEN BEAT UP SHOE SALESMAN   Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 WHO POSED AS GYNECOLOGIST"