[comp.dcom.telecom] Calling 800's From Outside USA

KSELLING@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Kenneth Selling) (08/17/89)

Question:  Is it possible to reach a U.S. 800 number from outside N. America
           (granted that it will no longer be toll-free)?  Could this work with
           AT&T's USA Direct service?

Ken Selling

Internet:       kselling@eagle.wesleyan.edu
BITNET:         kselling%eagle@wesleyan.bitnet

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (08/19/89)

It's not possible  with USA Direct (I've tried this while I was living
in Australia ...)

# Henry Mensch   /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <henry@sics.bu.oz.au>

vances@xenitec.uucp (Vance Shipley) (08/22/89)

I have quite often wished to reach an 800 in the US from here in Canada but
found that it was not dialable from here.  Sometimes the 800 listing is all
I have!  In these cases I would wish I knew the 'conversion' number.  I first
found out about this while testing 800 lines.

In order to test an 800 number with US coverage you must dial from the states.
Calling from here in Canada wouldn't complete.  So to test one of these
circuits we would have to know the 'conversion' number.  To use this number
you had to be coming from a foreign exchange (it had to be a toll call).
The conversion number often had the same last four digits and the NXX was
always a valid office code.

I don't know if this would work internationally or not.  Also I'm not sure
how it would be billed.  Anyone care to comment?

Vance Shipley                          uucp:  ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!vances
Linton Technology - SwitchView         INTERNET:            vances@egvideo.uucp
180 Columbia Street West                            (soon)  vances@xenitec.uucp
Waterloo, Ontario
CANADA                                                      tel:  (519)746-4460
N2L 3L3                                                     fax:  (519)746-6884
# if it ain't got an interface it ain't much use!#

[Moderator's Note: How could I pass up a chance to comment? :) If you found
such a number and it worked in Canada, then I'm sure it would work calling
from Europe, etc. And in all probability it would generate a charge to your
account. PT]

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (08/24/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0318m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, vances@xenitec.uucp
(Vance Shipley) writes:
> In order to test an 800 number with US coverage you must dial from the states
> since calling from here in Canada wouldn't complete.  So to test one of these
> circuits we would have to know the 'conversion' number.  To use this number

This is actually known as the "POTS" number. An 800 number is nothing
more than an ordinary line with an ordinary or POTS number that has
special treatment by the long distance carrier. When a caller dials an
800 number, it is translated by the long distance carrier into the area
code and phone number of the POTS line and then billed to the 800
subscriber. Back when it was just "the phone company", 800 POTS lines
were restricted from out calling (some still are) but now various
companies are offering 800 translations to customers' standard business
lines and even some residential.

POTS=Plain Old Telephone Service.

> I don't know if this would work internationally or not.  Also I'm not sure
> how it would be billed.  Anyone care to comment?

Since you are calling an ordinary number, it would be billed at
prevailing rates.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !