[comp.dcom.telecom] What is 2600 Magazine, Anyway?

tom@pdx.mentor.com (Tom Ace) (08/23/89)

I've seen "2600 Magazine" discussed here recently, but I imagine there
are plenty of readers who (like me) don't know what it is.  Could someone
please briefly tell us what the magazine is about?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Ace
tom@sje.mentor.com
 ...!mntgfx!sje!tom

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/25/89)

It's really more of a newsletter than a magazine (at least it was several years
ago when I was getting them sent to me via the Army security office).

It's a magazine for "Telecommunications Hobbyists." Generally, just articles
on how phones and phone systems work.  Not nearly as break in oriented as TAP,
but they discussed things like hunting around on ARPANET, TELENET, several
private telephone networks, things on how Pay phones worked, etc...

The name comes from the frequency of the tone used to signal on a long distance
trunk or something like that (not much into that stuff).

-Ron

tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Tim Nelson) (08/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0318m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> sje!tom@pdx.mentor.com
(Tom Ace) writes:

>I've seen "2600 Magazine" discussed here recently, but I imagine there
>are plenty of readers who (like me) don't know what it is.  Could someone
>please briefly tell us what the magazine is about?

2600 is a hackers magazine.  Look for it in your local bookstore, if you are
lucky you may just get a hold of one.

tim (nelson)         | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
ncr canada           | internet     tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM
(416) 826-9000 x442  | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario

[Moderator's Note: Actually it is more for phreaks than hackers.  PT]