[comp.dcom.telecom] Forced to use TRON

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (08/25/89)

The following message appeared in comp.arch and comp.os.misc.  Malcolm
said he didn't mind if I passed it along to the TELECOM readers.

For those unfamiliar with TRON, it is a project spearheaded by Ken Sakamura
(sp?) and embodies a set of specifications for a range of processors and
operating systems.  Here in the states, TRON is quite controversial.  The
arguments I've heard tend to fall into two catagories:  (1) it is
architecturally ugly, and (2) it is being conducted in such a way which
excludes US involvement.  Number 1 is a religious argument which always
happens when you get computer types together.  I believe it is really the
second argument which makes TRON controversial.