[comp.dcom.telecom] Compuserve and the Internet

Kenneth_R_Jongsma@ncar.ucar.edu (08/17/89)

For those that use or know someone on Compuserve, it is now
possible to mail to or from the Internet and CIS. The procedure
is pretty straight forward, but I don't have it handy now. If
anyone is interested, let me know and I will mail a copy.

There is no additional charge on the CIS end.

ken@cup.portal.com

[Moderator's Note: In fact, the addressing scheme is '7xxxx.xxx@compuserve.com'
and it is quite reliable. The first part is simply the CI$ user ID number
separated with a dot in the middle. I send copies of the Digest to a couple
people on CI$ now who prefer to receive it in their mailbox there, although
no re-distribution of the Digest is permitted at that site.  PT]

gb7%prism@gatech.edu (Joe Bradley) (08/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0305m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> ken@cup.portal.com writes:

>For those that use or know someone on Compuserve, it is now
>possible to mail to or from the Internet and CIS. The procedure
>is pretty straight forward, but I don't have it handy now. If
>anyone is interested, let me know and I will mail a copy.

>[Moderator's Note: ... the addressing scheme is '7xxxx.xxx@compuserve.com'
>and it is quite reliable. The first part is simply the CI$ user ID number
>separated with a dot in the middle. I send copies of the Digest to a couple
>people on CI$ now who prefer to receive it in their mailbox there, although
>no re-distribution of the Digest is permitted at that site.  PT]

Does anyone know if there is a direct connection to Compuserve from the
Internet? It would save a lot of money and time if you could telnet directly
in. At least 50% of my time on-line is spent waiting for stuff to print to the
screen at 2400 baud.

G.J. (Joe) Bradley, Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332

UUCP:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gb7
INTERNET: gb7@prism.gatech.edu

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/26/89)

It would save you a lot of money, but it would still cost someone. Actually,
it wouldn't be hard to do.  Rutgers already has the stuff in place to do it,
but it obviously isn't enabled.  CompuServe is accessible via the X.25
networks.  We have an X.25 -> telnet gateway (we only have the into the
internet side turned on right now).

-Ron

amanda@uunet.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0324m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, gb7%prism@gatech.edu (Joe
Bradley) writes:
> Does anyone know if there is a direct connection to Compuserve from the
> Internet? It would save a lot of money and time if you could telnet directly
> in. At least 50% of my time on-line is spent waiting for stuff to print to
> the screen at 2400 baud.

Well the mail gateway is a little daemon that runs on one of Ohio State's
Pyramids--the actual connection is a normal dialup, as far as I know...
I don't think CompuServe is connected to any real networks (aside from
their own packet-switched service).

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

amanda@intercon.uu.net    |    ...!uunet!intercon!amanda

[Moderator's Note: Compuserve has an NUIC which is reachable via Telenet
and most foreign PTT data networks.  PT]