[comp.dcom.telecom] Unusual Warning Notice on Phones

judice@kyoa.enet.dec.com (Lou Judice 15-Aug-1989 0916) (08/16/89)

While moving offices recently, we noticed the following odd label on the
bottom of AT&T straight sets (normal single line phones):

		WARNING

		USE FOR BUSINESS SYSTEMS ONLY OR YOU
		RISK AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT.

The phones are on a Dimension PBX. I'm sure I've put consumer phone stuff
on a Dimension without frying it, so I'm curious about this. (Note, I
could understand if this was a digital phone or a MET-set type phone).

/ljj

aem@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (08/16/89)

judice@kyoa.enet.dec.com (Lou Judice 15-Aug-1989 0916) writes:
>While moving offices recently, we noticed the following odd label on the
>bottom of AT&T straight sets (normal single line phones):

>		WARNING

>		USE FOR BUSINESS SYSTEMS ONLY OR YOU
>		RISK AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT.

When we got new phones (at a former company) the first thing I did was borrow
someone elses's phone (-:) and plug it into an outside line in my office.
Worked fine. My guess was that the notice was to discourage people from
taking home these nice phones.  Though, it could be that some of the
line-powered features on these phones have no protection--and count on being
on fairly well protected circuits.

aem

a.e.mossberg - aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu/aem@umiami.BITNET - Pahayokee Bioregion
Chances that a homeless American holds a full- or part-time jobs: 1 in 5
							- Harper's Index 2/89

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 22-Aug-1989 1357) (08/23/89)

>While moving offices recently, we noticed the following odd label on the
>bottom of AT&T straight sets (normal single line phones):
>
>		WARNING
>
>		USE FOR BUSINESS SYSTEMS ONLY OR YOU
>		RISK AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT.

They're not _quite_ normal single line phones.  If you look at the number on
the bottom, you'll see that it is 2500 DM rather than 2500 D.

The "M" means that the yellow-black pair is connected to a switch inside the
phone which closes when you pick up the phone.  This would be connected to
the "A" and "A1" leads of a key system to make the lights on a key telephone
light and to make your phone interact properly with your secretary's hold
circuit, if necessary.

The reason for the warning is that in older residential installations, Y-BK
carries power for dial lights.  And, to make matters worse, one series of
transformers used to power those lights could create a fire hazard when
shorted.

/john

sklar@ihlpl.att.com (Robert S Sklar) (08/24/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0300m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, judice@kyoa.enet.dec.com
(Lou Judice 15-Aug-1989 0916) writes:
> While moving offices recently, we noticed the following odd label on the
> bottom of AT&T straight sets (normal single line phones):
>
> 		WARNING
>
> 		USE FOR BUSINESS SYSTEMS ONLY OR YOU
> 		RISK AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT.
>

> The phones are on a Dimension PBX. I'm sure I've put consumer phone stuff
> on a Dimension without frying it, so I'm curious about this. (Note, I
> could understand if this was a digital phone or a MET-set type phone).
>
> /ljj

The reason for the warning is probably for the sub-case where someone
attempts to plug this phone into an RJ14 *TWO-LINE* jack.  A business
analog phone, probably a 2500M, is wired differently than its residential
equivalent, a 2500D.  The business phone uses the yellow-black pair
for A-A1 supervision (the hook-switch short-circuits the pair so that
the PBX|KSU knows that the line was picked-up and can light the appropriate
lights on multi-line phones).  On a 2500D this hookswitch pole is used
for other purposes.

Therefore, if you install a 2500M or equivalent in a two-line residential
installation without opening the yellow-black connection to the hookswitch,
you will short-out the second line every time you pick up this phone.

					Robert Sklar
					(Lachman Associates, Inc @)
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					Naperville, IL

dupuy@cs.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) (08/26/89)

Does anyone know what the meaning of the letter codes after the model # on
phones is?  I have an old 500DM(?) black rotary standard which I like because
it works even when the AC power is out, and because it rings loud enough to
hear it across the apartment.  Is there any possibility it will short out my
second line when I hook that up?

@alex

macy@hal.uucp (08/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0300m08@vector.dallas.tx.us> judice@kyoa.enet.dec.com
(Lou Judice 15-Aug-1989 0916) writes:

>While moving offices recently, we noticed the following odd label on the
>bottom of AT&T straight sets (normal single line phones):
>
>		WARNING
>
>		USE FOR BUSINESS SYSTEMS ONLY OR YOU
>		RISK AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT.

Generally speaking, this indicates the sets are modified for use behind
1A2 key telephone equipment.  This older style electromechanical key equipment
tequired a single line set to put out a dry contact closure when off hook,
on the yellow+black base cord wires.  These same wires were used in residential
applications to provide dial light power for Trimline sets, from a 2012A
transformer.

Unless the 500/2500 sets were field modified, the suffix on the designation
was different form the usual 500D  (Its been too long, I can't remember all
the old Western Electric numbers!)  I've got my old Key Syetems Manual around
her somewhere....

Plug in a A-lead control set in a residence and during the next long phone
call using that set, the subscriber would notice a distict smell of charred
copper+enamel insulation.  Rumor had it that more than one residence burned
to the ground due to shorted dial light transformers !

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.