[comp.dcom.telecom] An Example of Mis-parsing a Phone Number

roy%phri@uunet.uu.net (Roy Smith) (08/25/89)

	I just spoke to an operator and asked him for information on how to
place a shore-to-ship call via the marine operator.  He wasn't sure (I
suspect it wasn't an AT&T operator) but suggested that I call 102880411.
What's interesting is that he said "one-oh-two, pause, eight-eight-zero,
pause, four-one-one".  As he was saying it, I was writing down digits,
putting a space everytime he paused.  I looked at it and asked him if he
was sure it was right; it didn't have the right number of digits for any
phone number I knew, and 102 sure is a funny looking area code anyway.

	It wasn't until a bit later that I realized it should be parsed
10-288-0-411.  It's amazing how much you depend on the cadence to be able
to remember phone numbers.  Speak those 9 digits 3-3-3, and they make no
sense, speak them 2-3-1-3 (or 5-1-3) and it's obvious.  I once got a
directory assistance recording which spoke a 7 digit number in some funny
way (something like 2-2-2-1).  I had to listen to it about three times
before I could manage to copy the digits down.

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

ron@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/27/89)

Yes, used to be a party line that advertised it's number as
	100 411 7777777 (actually they said seven sevens).
It took me a minute to realize what the number actually was.

The other fun one is that the Rutgers library ID numbers that
are displayed on the checkout terminals are social security
numbers.  I looked at my number a couple of times before I
realized it because they had the spaces in non obvious locations.

-Ron

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (08/30/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0328m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, ron@hardees.rutgers.edu
(Ron Natalie) writes:
> Yes, used to be a party line that advertised it's number as
> 	100 411 7777777 (actually they said seven sevens).
> It took me a minute to realize what the number actually was.

I think I saw that ad. Didn't it go something like:

100 411 700 777-7777 ?

Which opens the huge 700 can of worms. This is sort of a free-for-all
area code. LD carriers can use it for almost any purpose and charge
almost any amount for the call. Remember Alliance Teleconferencing by
AT&T? And we all know 700 555-4141 which tells you your carrier (or the
name of any carrier you wish by prefixing it with the appropriate 10XXX
code).

In the above mention, someone is using a "700" for a party line. Since
it requires the caller to dial the carrier prefix (10041), there is no
need to set up prior arrangements with anyone. With 900 service, the
carrier must set up specific prefixes to be automatically routed to his
point of presense by the operating company, regardless of the
subscribers pre-subscribed carrier selection.

BTW, I've got a little AOS horror story in the works. The final event
should occur tomorrow. If the information I've received checks out, it
could all be a little worse than we imagined.
        john@zygot          | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !