[comp.dcom.telecom] Questions about Country Codes

U5434122@uunet.uu.net (08/30/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0316m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl
(Dolf Grunbauer) writes:
> 4. How come some countries have a single digit country code, some have
>    a two digits sequence (like PR China, which is probably big enough to
>    have a 1 digit number), and some countries have a 3 digits prefix.

I think it is based on region splitting.  Codes beginning with 6 are in
Australasia.

60 - Malaysia
61 - Australia
62 - Indonesia
63 - Philippines
64 - New Zealand
65 - Singapore
66 - Thailand

670 - Mariana Is
671 - Guam
672 - Christmas Is, Cocos Is, Norfolk Is
674 - Nauru
675 - Papua New Guinea
676 - Tonga
677 - Solomon Is

680 - Palau
682 - Cook Is
684 - American Samoa
685 - Western Samoa
687 - New Caledonia

etc, etc, etc

Note that Christmas and Cocos Is, which are in the Indian Ocean, and Norfolk
Is, which is in the Pacific, share a country code.  They each have area codes
4,2,3 respectively.
All three are Australian dependent teritories.

> [Moderator's Note: I think the longest country code has to the one for the
> Vatican; it is six or eight digits, of which the final digits simply appear
> to be appended to the code for Italy.  PT]

The Vatican appears simply to occupy 1 exchange in Rome. Entry for Vatican is
39-6-698+ 4 digits Italy is CC 39, Rome is area code 6.

Note the Carribean Islands:

Jamaica        +1-809 +local number
Virgin Is (US) +1-809 + local number
Virgin Is (Br) +1-80949 + local number
Montserrat     +1-809491 + local number
St Kitts       +1-809465 + local number
Nevis          +1-809469 + local number

The Falkland Is must have the smallest full international telephone numbers:
+500 + local number.  I don't know how many digits they have, but it can't be
many.

Daniel O'Callaghan
University of Melbourne
ACSnet U5434122@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz.au