[comp.dcom.telecom] Fascination With Numbers

GREEN@wharton.upenn.edu (Scott D. Green) (08/30/89)

I can't help but wonder about the fascination with the number 234-5678.
What's the big deal?  The discussion started out as someone's childhood
recollection of getting an intercept recording after dialling the digits
on the telephone in order.  Now, it seems like someone has chimed in from
almost every area code with a report on what happens when that number is
dialled today.  How 'bout international, folks?

The "234" exchange is not a test exchange, and "5678" is no big deal.  What
about 987-6543?  or 876-5432?  or even 765-4321?

Let's take it further, shall we?  Did you know that, at one time about 10
years ago, it seemed that 382-5968 was not assigned *anywhere*?  Perhaps
the reason it wasn't assigned is that it is possible to spell F*** Y**
with that number.  They did not, however, restrict the whole series of
382-5xxx, so that my number was F***-222.

Do we find that more, or less, interesting than 234-5678?  Do most of us
care?  (At the risk of being challenged to come up with something else) don't
we have anything better to discuss?

-Scott

sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kubla Khan) (08/30/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0333m09@vector.dallas.tx.us> GREEN@wharton.upenn.edu
(Scott D. Green) writes:
>Let's take it further, shall we?  Did you know that, at one time about 10
>years ago, it seemed that 382-5968 was not assigned *anywhere*?  Perhaps
>the reason it wasn't assigned is that it is possible to spell F*** Y**
>with that number.

I doubt that was the real reason, as a couple years back I was assigned
328-7448 (EAT-SH*T).
I seriously doubt that the telcos give a 7448 what your number spells. :-)

>-Scott

Scott
kubla@uiuc.edu

ben@sybase.com (ben ullrich) (08/31/89)

> I can't help but wonder about the fascination with the number 234-5678.
> What's the big deal?  The discussion started out as someone's childhood
> recollection of getting an intercept recording after dialling the digits
> on the telephone in order.  Now, it seems like someone has chimed in from
> almost every area code with a report on what happens when that number is
> dialled today.  How 'bout international, folks?

> Let's take it further, shall we?  Did you know that, at one time about 10
> years ago, it seemed that 382-5968 was not assigned *anywhere*?  Perhaps
> the reason it wasn't assigned is that it is possible to spell F*** Y**
> with that number.  They did not, however, restrict the whole series of
> 382-5xxx, so that my number was F***-222.

I find it comical that you complain about what you think is a needless
discussion of a silly phone number, and in the same breath bring up yet another
number that follows right along with the discussion.  It was *your* number
that you pointed out; could THAT have something to do with it?

> Do we find that more, or less, interesting than 234-5678?  Do most of us
> care?  (At the risk of being challenged to come up with something else) don't
> we have anything better to discuss?

You risked it, now do it.  If you want to discuss something else, then do so.
Don't bitch at all of telecom for doing something and then go do it yourself.
Better examples are what's needed, not complaining from hypocrites.

ben ullrich	       consider my words disclaimed,if you consider them at all
sybase, inc., emeryville, ca	"When you deal with human beings, a certain
+1 (415) 596 - 3500	       amount of nonsense is inevitable." -- mike trout
ben@sybase.com			       {pyramid,pacbell,sun,lll-tis}!sybase!ben