[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Telephone Causes Airline Fire Alarm

wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil (Will Martin) (08/16/89)

This was on Risks -- thought it was worth getting into Telecom:

>Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 08:17:31 -0400
>From: dave davis <davis@community-chest.mitre.org>
>Subject: Cellular Telephone Causes Airliner Fire Alarm

A morning radio news report here in Washington, DC reported that a commercial
airline crew noted a fire alarm signal from a cargo hold in mid-flight.  Upon
returning to their originating airport, the cargo hold was examined carefully,
and no evidence of fire was found.  Apparently, a cellular telephone in a
passenger's luggage had received an incoming call, that activated the smoke (I
assume) detector via RF interference.

This occurrence shows why we have systems engineers.  That is, someone who must
consider not only electromagnetic compatibility between system components, but
also with other systems in the same operating environment.  As a result of this
event, the aircraft companies may have to redesign a lot of sensors.

Dave Davis, MITRE Corp., McLean, VA
----- End of forwarded messages

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (08/19/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0303m10@vector.dallas.tx.us>, wmartin@stl-06sima.army.
mil (Will Martin) writes:
> This was on Risks -- thought it was worth getting into Telecom:
>
> >Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 08:17:31 -0400
> >From: dave davis <davis@community-chest.mitre.org>
> >Subject: Cellular Telephone Causes Airliner Fire Alarm
>
> A morning radio news report here in Washington, DC reported that a commercial
> airline crew noted a fire alarm signal from a cargo hold in mid-flight.  Upon
> returning to their originating airport, the cargo hold was examined carefully
> and no evidence of fire was found.  Apparently, a cellular telephone in a
> passenger's luggage had received an incoming call, that activated the smoke
> (I assume) detector via RF interference.

> ...As a result of this
> event, the aircraft companies may have to redesign a lot of sensors.

No. The only sensor that has to be implemented is the one that scans
the passenger baggage.

It is ILLEGAL to use electronic devices such as cellular telephones
or even Walkman-sized portable receivers on board commercial
aircraft.  It is also ILLEGAL to operate such devices on other
aircraft unless the pilot of the aircraft has determined that the
device in question does not interfere with the aircraft systems.

This part of the federal aviation regulations is chiefly aimed at
reducing the risk of interference with the navigation or
communications systems, in the interest of flight safety.  While
interference with the file alarm system may have been unexpected,
the passenger who carried a powered-up portable electronic device
aboard that aircraft is in violation of the law.  What will probably
result from this incident is not a major re-design of aircraft
systems, but better enforcement of the existing regulations.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/22/89)

I'm skeptical about this article.  The plane must have
been on the ground or else it wouldn't be answering the
phone call.   Second, airplane control systems are already
required to have RF immunity especially with the new
all electronic control systems the FAA is increasing
the protection that is required.

-Ron

jjs@ihlpz.att.com (James J Sowa) (08/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0315m10@vector.dallas.tx.us> ron@ron.rutgers.edu
(Ron Natalie) writes:
>I'm skeptical about this article.  The plane must have been on the ground or
>else it wouldn't be answering the phone call.
>-Ron

Cellular phones don't have to be on the ground to answer a page message and
start alerting. RF is able to travel vertical and horizonal. That is one of the
reasons people were able to use cellular phones on commercial airline flights
until they were banned by the FAA.

"JUST DO IT!"
						Jim Sowa
						att!cbnewsc!jjjs
Yep this is my on opinion and all that stuff must people add here.

j_prigot@uunet.uu.net (Jonathan M. Prigot) (08/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0318m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jjs@ihlpz.att.com
(James J Sowa) writes:

> Cellular phones don't have to be on the ground to answer a page message and
> start alerting. RF is able to travel vertical and horizonal. That is one of
> the reasons people were able to use cellular phones on commercial airline
> flights until they were banned by the FAA.

Does anyone know the differences that make use of private cellular phones
"dangerous" and the use of public cellular phones on planes "safe"?

--
Jonathan M. Prigot              Telephone: 617-861-6600 x2148
W. R. Grace & Co.               UUCP: j_prigot@wrgrac1.UUCP

Kenneth_R_Jongsma@cup.portal.com (08/28/89)

With regard to the question about why it is ok to use the public phones on an
airplane and not your own cellular phone:

The reason is that the public phones on airplanes are not cellular. There
are multiple receiving stations on the ground, but I don't believe they
do handoffs.

In any case, that is beside the point. Whenever an electronic device is
installed in an aircraft, extensive testing is done to make sure it does
not interfere with any other device on the plane. Antenna location is
critical, as is shielding.

By using an unshielded transmitter in a "random" location, you open yourself
up to interfering with all sorts of equipment critical to the safe operation
of an aircraft.

Even the thought of some guy whipping out his phone on the taxi in to the gate
bothers me to no end. With traffic on the taxiways as busy as an expressway
rush hour, I don't want anything to interfere with the flight crews
communication with ground control or attention to detail.

ken@cup.portal.com

OLE@csli.stanford.edu (Ole J. Jacobsen) (08/28/89)

There are two reasons why you shouldn't use your cellular phone in an airplane.

First, the airlines are parnanoid about any electrical device which "can cause
interference to avionic systems" and while their fear may be largely unfounded,
they have little or no sense of humor about it. I even know of an airline in
the UK which forbids the use of Walkmans for the same reason. (Yes, it is
pretty bogus).

Secondly, the FCC does not allow the use of cellular phones in a *flying*
airplane, because it may cause massive interference to the cellular system.
Remember that the premise of cellular is the control of intereference through
many low-powered cells and high frequency re-use. Imagine what happens when
you are up in a plane above a densely populated area: all of a sudden your
phone "sees" many cell sites at the same time (and the cell cites "see" it).
This can result in all sorts of crosstalk and interference. Don't do it.

Ole

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (08/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0328m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, wrgrac1!j_prigot@
uunet.uu.net (Jonathan M. Prigot) writes:
> Does anyone know the differences that make use of private cellular phones
> "dangerous" and the use of public cellular phones on planes "safe"?

The use of cellular phones is not permitted from *any* aircraft. Not
only for aviation safety reasons, but because of the havoc it wreaks
with the cellular systems themselves. If a mobile comes up on multiple
sites, the system will probably lock it out permanently to protect
itself.

The phone you are probably refering to is called "Airphone". It uses
special equipment on a special frequency (950MHz band) and has special
approval by the FAA and FCC for aircraft to ground communication. The
phone in your hand is an ordinary *cordless* phone. The actual air to
ground communications is performed by a transceiver mounted elsewhere
on the aircraft.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 28-Aug-1989 2106) (08/29/89)

>Does anyone know the differences that make use of private cellular phones
>"dangerous" and the use of public cellular phones on planes "safe"?

FAA regulations prohibit the use of all electronic devices not explicitly
certified to be safe.  Radio receivers and transmitters emit electromagnetic
waves at frequencies that may interfere with an aircraft's communications or
navigation equipment.  The "Airphone" public phones aboard aircraft are
specifically designed and tested to ensure that they will not interfere with
the aircraft.

FCC regulations prohibit the use of cellular phones aboard aircraft for a
totally different reason:  There are only 832 channels allocated for cellular
service.  In order to allow more than 832 calls to be active in a system, the
channels will be reused only a few miles apart.  The more customers a system
has, the more cell sites it will have (and cell sites will be found in low,
rather than high, places), the smaller the coverage area will be for each
cell, and the lower the power your cellular phone will be told to use (by the
cell site).  This allows frequency reuse.

If you are at 10,000 feet, your signal is going to reach not only the nearest
cell site, but also several other cell sites using the same frequency.  You
will interfere with other calls.

"Airphone" uses a separate group of frequencies.

/john

mlr@houtz.att.com (Michael L Robins) (08/31/89)

Although there has been much discussion about cellular and Airphone radio
services aboard airplanes, early propagation work in Chicago revelaed that the
radio pattern for cellular is kind of a mushroom shape, and at the height of
airplanes >10,000 feet, I suspect that you would never be able to receive a
signal from a cell site. This was even true on top of the Sears Tower in
Chicago, and although a cell cite was easily in view, and about 3 blocks away,
it was about 4 hundred feet below, and we found that we were never even able
to talk to that cell site because of the shape of the radio signal.  We found
that we were always talking to a cell site much further away. An example is
below:
                                          /    airplane
                                     o--/----/
                       ant               \
      ________          |        ________  \
    /          \        |      /          \
  /      |       \      |    /              \
 /    car|         \    |   /                 \
/    O---O           \  |  /                    \

Notice that when the plane is in the air that it is above the node of the
signal while the car on the ground works just fine.

jad@dayton.dhdsc.mn.org (J. Deters) (08/31/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0330m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> OLE@csli.stanford.edu
(Ole J. Jacobsen) writes:

>First, the airlines are parnanoid about any electrical device which "can cause
>interference to avionic systems" and while their fear may be largely
>unfounded, they have little or no sense of humor about it. I even know of an
>airline in the UK which forbids the use of Walkmans for the same reason.
>(Yes, it is pretty bogus).

I remember reading the sheet that came with my Sony Discman that came with
the standard FCC disclaimer of "WARNING:  This equipment radiates and uses
RF energy..."  It's just a CPU that's grinding out the tunes in there, and
it's capable of emitting RF just like any other digital device.

Taking off over a freeway with someone's poorly maintained automobile ignition
is like flying over a spark-gap transmitter.  Many frequencies with multiple
harmonics, and more powerful than most C.B.'s.  If they are as overly
sensitive to stray RF as their paranoia indicates, I sure don't want to fly
their airline!

-j

J. Deters - jad@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG  john@jaded.DHDSC.MN.ORG

rusty@uunet.uu.net (Rusty H. Hodge) (09/01/89)

Natalie) writes:
> I'm skeptical about this article.  The plane must have
> been on the ground or else it wouldn't be answering the
> phone call.

Oh really?  Radio waves don't travel up? :->

Although Cell Site antennas put the majority of their energy out in a
pancake fashion, there is plenty of reflected signal.

Have you ever listened to an FM radio while flying at 30,000 feet?
You can hear stations from all over.
--

Rusty "No Bugs" Hodge, 1588 N. Batavia St. Orange, CA 92667 Tel (714) 974-6300
rusty@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz crash]!hodge!rusty        FAX (714) 921-8038