[comp.dcom.telecom] Reasons For Keeping Phone Numbers Unlisted

jnelson@tle.enet.dec. (Toro and Tweety's Taco and Psychiactric Emporium) (09/01/89)

In Telecom Digest V9 #355, the Moderator writes:

>[Moderator's Note: I keep my phones unlisted simply because I know all about
>how the Customer Name and Address Bureau (312-796-9600) operates for area
>312; and because I am familiar with cross reference directories.  PT]

You obviously know something I don't.  How does the operation of the Customer
Name and Address Bureau affect your decision to keep your phone numbers
unlisted?  Also, explain how cross-reference directories affect your decision.

I'm sure there are other readers of the Telecom Digest who are curious, too.

-Jeff E. Nelson                            |
-Digital Equipment Corporation             | Affiliation given for
-Internet:  jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com       | identification purposes only.
-  -or-     jnelson%tle.dec@decwrl.dec.com |

[Moderator's Note: I discussed the Illinois Bell public CNA facility in
the Digest yesterday. Criss-cross, or Cross Reference Directories are another
problem altogether. In theory, the Haines Company -- a major publisher of
such books, along with Donnelly Directory, Dresslers and City Publishing
Company, to name just three others -- are to distribute their directories
only to business places with reasonable business needs for same. A delivery
service needing a phone number to effect proper delivery is one example;
a taxi service or food delivery service is another. I can't even really
complain about the collection agencies/skip tracing services which use them
to sneak through an interview with a 'nearby', who as your neighbor might
know where you have moved, or worked, etc.

But burglars also use the criss-cross, and cellular phones to see who is
home and who isn't before breaking into someone's house. One fellow was
arrested here about a year ago with the local criss-cross in his car, open
to the page listing the street where his car was parked, and a cellular
phone to his ear. His bag of burglar tools and the stolen goods in the
trunk of his car were noticed by the police who arrested him.

Criss-cross books are also widely used by telemarketers who make cold sales
calls; that is, just start calling up one side of the street and down the
other to sell their home-improvements or whatever. They love to refer to
the book, then call you by name when you answer the phone, pretending that
they knew you all along.

I've had my phones non-pub for many years because I value my privacy and
security. Even being non-pub, I get plenty of crank calls, which will be
stopping once my Caller ID is installed. Other than a few friends, I
really don't like talking on the phone at home, since I do it in my office
all day; so much at the office that I usually wear a headset there.  PT]