[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID Linked to Decline in Harrassing Calls

GABEL@qcvax.bitnet (08/14/89)

The following article appeared on page 1 of the New York Times,
Saturday, 8/5/89. (copyright 1989 New York Times)

Harrassing Calls Show Decline When Phones Identify Callers
  by Calvin Sims

   The number of obscene or harassing telephone calls has fallen sharply
in the first test of a system that allows people to see the number of the
phone the call was dialed on before they answer.

   The test in Hudson County, N.J., showed a 49 percent drop in requests
to track such calls after the system was in place. Telephone companies
welcome the results, hoping that they will increase demand for the caller-
identification service. Such systems are seen as a significant potential
source of telephone revenue but they have been slow to win acceptance from
regulators because of criticism that they invade the privacy of callers.

   The caller-identification system offered in New Jersey displays the
number of the calling party on a small digital screen attached to the tel-
ephone. The telephone subscriber can also notify the NJ Bell Telephone Co.
to make a computer record of where and when a harassing call originated by
dialing a code when the call is received. And, by pressing a code, the phone
owner can block calls coming in from a designated number, making it impossible
for a harasser to make repeated calls from one phone.

   The Hudson County test was started in late 1987 and has been widely
available since the beginning of this year. The number of requests the
phone company received to trace calls has declined sharply there. The
236 requests received in the six months that ended April 30, for example,
amounted to a 49% decline from the similar six-month period two years
earlier, when no one in the area had caller identification, NJ Bell said.

   "This technology, by its mere presence, is having a chilling effect on
the number of crank phone calls that people are reporting," said James
W. Carrigan, a spokesman for NJ Bell. "The word is out: people now have the
ability to see the phone number of the caller, and many would-be obscene
callers are afraid to mess around on the telephone."

   The service may spread rapidly. Phone companies in New York, Pennsylvania,
California and the several Southern states served by the Southern Bell
Telephone and Telegraph Company plan to introduce the service.

   The phone companies are enthusiastic about the revenue potential. New
Jersey Bell, which charges $6.50 a month for the service, said its surveys
showed that about 42% of its customers, or 1.2 million people, received
annoyance calls last year and that 72,000 complaints were filed.

   Many phone companies, however, are moving more slowly than they expected
because of the privacy issues the technology raises. Critics contend that
the systems violate the rights of phone users who wish simply to keep their
numbers private.

   The critics also say that caller identification will make the public less
likely to use confidential social services like AIDS hotlines or shelters
for battered women. And consumers phoning businesses might find their numbers
being passed on to telephone marketing concerns without permission.

   The phone companies respond that the caller identification system increases
privacy because it gives the called party an "electronic peephole," allowing
them to answer only those calls from recognized numbers.

   Although there was strong opposition to the caller-identification system
from the American Civil Liberties Union, the New Jersey Board of Public
Utilities allowed New Jersey Bell to introduce the service because of the
initial success of the phone company's trial run.

   For billing, telephone companies keep a monthly computer log of all
local and long-distance phone calls. Such records take about a month to
process. The call-trace system allows the subscriber to create an immediate
record of harassing calls.

   Several New Jersey residents have used the system to rid themselves of
harassing calls. Some have recognized the phone number of the harassing
caller as that of a relative of friend and asked the known harasser to
stop. Other subscribers who were unfamiliar with the number of the harassing
call that appeared on the display screen informed callers that their phone
numbers could be seen, and the harassers quickly hung up.

   A family in Middlesex County used the computerized call tracing feature
of the system to press charges against a man who called their home about
20 times a night for three months. The family made it possible for the
phone company to record the number, date and time of the calls.

   "The guy had seen my daughter at a party, and he would call our number
and say the most profane sexual things about her," said the father, who
asked that the family not be identified. "It got to the place where we
just took the phone off the hook in the evenings."

   When the case went to trial, New Jersey Bell provided the judge with its
computer records. The defendant pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a year
on probation.

   Experts said the case is typical in that the caller knew the victim.
"Over all, we have dealt with very few perverts because most obscene phone
callers are old boyfriends who have been dumped," said Martin Harrington, a
detective at the Buffalo Police Department who specialized in telephone
harassment cases. "The caller-identification device would probably cut
my caseload by about 80% because the greatest fear of any obscene caller
is having their identity revealed."

   Making an obscene or threatening phone call is a misdemeanor in most
states. In New York State, conviction carries a maximum sentence of a
year in jail and a $500 fine.

   More than 19,000 customers in New Jersey have signed up for the caller
identification service. By the end of the year, the service will be
available to about 66% of New Jersey Bell's 2.8 million customers.

   Among the localities that will have the service are Asbury Park,
Atlantic City, Camden, Elizabeth, Hackensack, Lakewook, Montclair,
Morristown, New Brunswick, Newark, Paterson, Plainfield, Red Bank,
Toms River and Trenton.

   Phone users in other states may have to wait longer than expected
because of the growing privacy debate. Pacific Bell, the big local
phone company in California, was scheduled to offer caller identification
later this year but recently said it would await until 1991 to consider
the privacy issues.

   "We have the obligation to our customers to thoroughly explore the
issues surrounding this new technology before we install it in our
network," said Ethan Thorman, Pacific Bell's product manager. "At first
the system looked like it was free of controversy so we rushed ahead to
deploy it. But then we stepped back."

   The California Legislature is considering a bill that would require
phone companies that offer the caller identification system to include
a blocking feature that would allow the person making the call to block
his or her phone numbers by dialing a special code. The party being
called would receive a message on the digital screen indicating that
the call is a private one.

   The bill, which has already passed the California Assembly and goes
before the Senate later this year, would require the phone companies to
provide the blocking service at no cost.

   "A caller-identification system that does not have a blocking function
endangers the lives of battered women," said Gail Jones, director of
Women Escaping a Violent Environment, a counseling center based in
Sacramento, Calif. "The woman or her counselor will often contact the
batterer to let him know that she is all right."

   A similar battle is developing in Pennsylvania, where the Bell
Telephone Company of Pennsylvania hopes to introduce caller identification
by the end of the year. As in California, critics are arguing that the
service should come with a feature that allows a caller to prevent the
recipient from seeing where the call originated.

   "The introduction of this service poses a variety of privacy intrusions
that the phone companies have been well aware of for some time," said Dan
Clearfield, spokesman for the Pennsylvania Consumer Advocate Office.

   "That's why they designed the blocking mechanism into the original
caller-identification software."

  New York Telephone plans to offer the service first in Poughkeepsie,
N.Y., and parts of Vermont later this year. A New York Telephone
spokesman said that the company hopes to offer the service in other
New York cities in 1990 but that the introductions would be based on how
well the service does in the initial offerings.

   A spokeswoman for Southern New England Telephone Company siad that
plans to start offering call-trace and call-block services in Connecticut
later this year but that it has delayed offering caller identification
because of the privacy issue.

   The phone companies say the inclusion of a blocking mechanism may
make caller identification far less appealing to consumers.

=============================

Dan Blumenthal
Gabel%QCVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (08/19/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0295m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, GABEL@qcvax.bitnet
writes:
> The following article appeared on page 1 of the New York Times,
> Saturday, 8/5/89. (copyright 1989 New York Times)
>
> Harrassing Calls Show Decline When Phones Identify Callers
>   by Calvin Sims
>
>    The number of obscene or harassing telephone calls has fallen sharply
> in the first test of a system that allows people to see the number of the
> phone the call was dialed on before they answer.

I have no doubt that this is true, but this is not the only way the
phone company can deal with problem calls.  They've had those "black
boxes" for years, enabling them to keep a line open in order to trace
a call.  Over ten years ago, a friend of my mother's was getting
nuisance calls in the middle of the night.  After a  number of
occurrences, the phone company gave her one of these devices, and the
next time there was a call, they traced it, and the police ended up
knocking on the guy's door not too much later.  I guess he was pretty
surprised.  However, of course it turned out to be an ex-lover, so my
guess is that in most cases, an educated guess would lead you to the
culprit.

Also, someone once told me that the phone company had given them the
following strategy for nuisance calls.  Tap the receiver so it sounds
like a couple of clicks, then say "Operator, this is the call I want
you to trace."  I think this would probably be enough to scare off the
"casual" prankster.

There was a neat story here maybe five or six years ago.  Apparently
the phones at the White House are (or at least were) constantly
equipped with tracing devices, so that any threatening calls can be
traced immediately.  Seems this local high school student was showing
off or something, called the White House from a pay phone at the Cohoes
High School, and made some kind of vague threat.  Well, the call was
traced immediately to that pay phone, the Secret Service called their
office in Albany, who contacted the Sheriff's Office.  They dashed
over to the school, asked a few people if they'd seen anybody using
the pay phone, and confronted the offending student--all within 45
minutes!   You can imagine, that student was pretty impressed with
the response.
--
"ANGRY WOMEN BEAT UP SHOE SALESMAN   Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 WHO POSED AS GYNECOLOGIST"

(Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (08/19/89)

writes:
> Consumers phoning businesses might find their numbers
> being passed on to telephone marketing concerns without permission.

This is serious. This is hard to combat.

>    "A caller-identification system that does not have a blocking function
> endangers the lives of battered women," said Gail Jones, director of
> Women Escaping a Violent Environment, a counseling center based in
> Sacramento, Calif. "The woman or her counselor will often contact the
> batterer to let him know that she is all right."

This is ridiculous. If that's all they want to say, let them use a
phone-booth. "I'm all right, dear. I have escaped our violent environment.
Bye."
Andrew Palfreyman	There's a good time coming, be it ever so far away,
andrew@berlioz.nsc.com	That's what I says to myself, says I,
time sucks					   jolly good luck, hooray!

[Moderator's Note: With this Digest, we conclude our eighth year of electronic
publication. The Digest has grown and expanded tremendously in the past
year; and I take this opportunity to thank all of you who have made it
possible with your informative and interesting messages.   Patrick Townson]

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (08/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0309m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> davef@brspyr1.brs.com
(Dave Fiske) writes:
>I have no doubt that this is true, but this is not the only way the
>phone company can deal with problem calls.  They've had those "black
>boxes" for years, enabling them to keep a line open in order to trace
>a call.

	Yeah well I've been this route and it generally requires complaints
stretched out over weeks, if not months; multiple call to the telco
security people (you don't get it if you don't become a nuisance to them);
and getting past the clerks who insist nothing of that sort exists.  Then, if
you have your dispensation from God in order, you might just get it, along
with the remark that it doesn't always work.

>.....  However, of course it turned out to be an ex-lover, so my
>guess is that in most cases, an educated guess would lead you to the
>culprit.

	Trouble is, educated guesses don't prove a thing and can't be taken
to court or the telco to get relief if the bum doesn't quit or admit to it.
In fact it might just convince him that he's getting under your skin and to
turn up the heat!  After all, you're just guessing.

>Also, someone once told me that the phone company had given them the
>following strategy for nuisance calls.  Tap the receiver so it sounds
>like a couple of clicks, then say "Operator, this is the call I want
>you to trace."  I think this would probably be enough to scare off the
>"casual" prankster.

	Oh boy, I though this had died a quiet death ages ago.  I tried
this once.  Pranksters turned out to be a bunch of kids having fun when
their parents were out.  They though that was funny as all get out.  Had
to call me back several more times to listen to the routine!!!!!!!
My wife and I had to put up with their nonsense for weeks afterwards.  Note
that this is where I got my first experience with the telco security people
and the illusive black box.  Never did get the box that time, the kids gave up
before the telco security people did.  Biggest problem with this is that
anyone with the inteligence of a rock is going to recognize it for the
bullsh*t that it is.  It just feeds their fun. After all they're getting
to you!  That's exactly what they wanted to do.

	The best thing I found for dealing with late night crank calls is
a modem.  After the first crank call in the middle of the night, I turn
the modem on with auto answer.  <<<PAINFULL SECOND CALL>>>  It rarely
takes more than a call or two for the callers to realize that they can't
frustrate a machine and their ears aren't worth it.  I recommended this to
a college student friend a few years back and she also dealt with a serious
crank call problem very effectively!  Problem with it is that you can
only use it when you don't want or expect any calls.  I've never gotten
any innocent victims yet but there is that catch.

	Calling Party ID is definitly an idea whose time has come.  Southern
Bell here in the Atlanta area has already announced all of the other
related features (Call Block, Call Trace, etc.) but I can wait for the furor
to settle and I can get the real thing.  I haven't had crank calls for
years so Call Block and Call Trace aren't really very useful to me.  I
would love to turn the tables on some of these *sshole phone solicitors,
though.  I would also love to see the day when it can be hooked-up up to
my answering system (already computer controled) and I can customize my
greetings based on who called me (read that last remark anyway you like).

---
Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (08/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0312m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.
com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) writes:
> 	The best thing I found for dealing with late night crank calls is
> a modem.  After the first crank call in the middle of the night, I turn
> the modem on with auto answer.  <<<PAINFULL SECOND CALL>>>  It rarely
> takes more than a call or two for the callers to realize that they can't
> frustrate a machine and their ears aren't worth it.  I recommended this to
> a college student friend a few years back and she also dealt with a serious
> crank call problem very effectively!  Problem with it is that you can
> only use it when you don't want or expect any calls.  I've never gotten
> any innocent victims yet but there is that catch.

This brings up a heretofore unmentioned type of harrassment call: the
idiot with the wrong number. These may have been pranks, but they sounded
legitimate. On the first instance someone called on my private line
and asked for a Tom [Somebody]. I simply said, "you must have
the wrong number", and hung up. Minutes later, he calls back and upon
realizing that he had reached the same party asked if he had reached
723-XXXX. I told him that he had and that he must have obtained the
wrong number somewhere.

A few minutes after that, a woman called asking for the same person.
Once again, I explained that she had a wrong number--at which point the
previous gentleman, who was on the line, spoke up and said, "See, I
told you, honey." I thought that was that.

Ten minutes later, an operator called and said, "This is the Pacific
Bell operator. Have I reached 723-XXXX?" "Yes" "Is there a Tom
[Somebody] there?" "No, and there never has been". "Thank-you."

That was scenario #1. The second scenario begins simply with a telco
repairman showing up at the door. He says, "Pacific Bell repair. You
have a line...723-yyyy out of order?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

"A Mister [Neverheardoftheperson] reported your line out of order."

Well, it turns out that 723-yyyy in this case has a Telebit Trailblazer
connected to it. For those of you who don't know, it answers with the
most gawdawful "bleep-blop-whoosh", repeated once then followed by
standard modem tones. Some idiot was so sure he had a right number that
he actually called repair service and "turned it in". Even more
surprising was that they dispatched without calling on one of my voice
lines first.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: Don't you love the people who pull those stunts? I once
had a lady do that to my modem line, but the repair foreman called me from
his office on my other line to inquire, "Pat, don't you have a modem on
the second line?"  I told him I did, and he related that some lady had put
*seven quarters in a row* in a payphone someplace; kept calling my number
and getting the modem; got two different operators to assist her because
she did not believe the first operator, and finally -- bless her soul --
when she got home she called Repair Service to turn me in for having "...some
kind of terrible, loud noise on the line...". And she even asked Repair
if they would *refund the buck seventy five she lost* trying to get through.
Talk about Dumb! Although I am sure she meant well by calling it in.  PT]

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (08/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0322m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, nsc!berlioz.nsc.com!
(Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) writes:

> In article <telecom-v09i0295m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, GABEL@qcvax.bitnet
> writes:

> >    "A caller-identification system that does not have a blocking function
> > endangers the lives of battered women," said Gail Jones, director of
> > Women Escaping a Violent Environment, a counseling center based in
> > Sacramento, Calif. "The woman or her counselor will often contact the
> > batterer to let him know that she is all right."

> This is ridiculous. If that's all they want to say, let them use a
> phone-booth. "I'm all right, dear. I have escaped our violent environment.
> Bye."

I hate to keep beating on this subject, but "there you go again..."  No woman
who has just escaped a violent domestic environment is going to make a
rational, logical phone call like that.  The counselor can be relied upon to
behave rationally, but not the victim.  We all make the mistake of assuming
that people will always do what they should do, but this is like saying that
drunk driving should go away simply because drunk driving is wrong.  I daresay
that Gail Jones knows a lot more about the behavior of battered women than you
do.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gdelong@cvman.prime.com (Gary Delong) (09/02/89)

As I see it, there seem to be four main objections to the Caller-ID features:

1) Businesses building lists of casual callers to use in future phone
   solicitation campaigns. (and maybe even selling those lists)

2) Callers to various public agencies and hot-lines might wish to remain
   anonymous.

3) Certain calls from parties to domestic abuse may wish to contact other
   parties without revealing their whereabouts.

4) Those who have an un-listed/published number wish to keep it private.

Now maybe I'm taking a too simple approach to the issue, but it would seem
that a few simple step could leave the feature fully functional while
addressing these concerns.

1) Make the Caller-ID feature apply only to residential service.  If that
   restriction is placed in the tariff, the only "business" that could get
   your number via Caller-ID is the person working out of their home.
   (as has been noted, ATT 800 service already provides businesses with a
    list of callers phone numbers)

2) Make the above restriction apply to these agencies (with the exception of
   emergency dispatch services).

3) Route these calls either through the operator or some third party agency
   who would forward the call.

4) Is the only one I see that might require some work.

   There would seem to be two differnt situations here.  Those with more than
   one line and want to use one or more for outgoing calls only.  I think this
   might be handled in the same way billing is handled.  When I had tow lines,
   both were billed to one account/phone number.  Why not have the feature
   report the billing number?  This would provide the called party with a way
   to re-contact the caller and protect the caller's un-published number(s).

   As to those of you who only have one un-listed/published line, I don't have
   any sympathy at all.  If you think you have a valid reason to phone me, I'll
   probably have a vaild reason to want to call you back sometime.

Is this all too simple, or have I missed some other objection? (other than
from the "I want to harrass them anonymously group")