[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID - 800 numbers

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (08/21/89)

After reading the articles on caller ID I thought I would remind
everyone that when the call an 800 the company receiveing the call
will get your phone number on their bill.

[Moderator's Note: Except, not really. You do get the city and state, and
*sometimes* the calling number as well. If it is strictly local 800 service
then you almost always get the numbers. AT&T can provide the number of the
caller the 800 service; the other carriers struggle with the problem.  PT]

laba-2ac%e260-2e.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (09/04/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0314m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> Bill Huttig <la063249@
zach.fit.edu> writes:

>After reading the articles on caller ID I thought I would remind
>everyone that when the call an 800 the company receiveing the call
>will get your phone number on their bill.

>[Moderator's Note: Except, not really. You do get the city and state, and
>*sometimes* the calling number as well. If it is strictly local 800 service
>then you almost always get the numbers. AT&T can provide the number of the
>caller the 800 service; the other carriers struggle with the problem.  PT]

This needs a little clearing up.... (sorry if this is old, but...)

If you call an 800 number, and the customer has the appropriate service,
like AT&T's ISDN-like srvice, then they will get the 800 number on the
data channel of their incoming ISDN/T-1 line, but from converted end-
offices only. If the call comes in from an old C/O (old X-bar/SXS/etc),
then they would get only the NPA/NXX of the number, since the serving
tandem knows which FGC trunk it came from. MCI has updated their VAX's
for the same type of service, which will forward the number as part
of the signalling on T-1's. They are supposed to offer the service soon
(3-6 mos???)

Now, 800 customers can also get your number on their bills, if they have
the option for it (at additional cost). That is also a form of Caller I.D.,
and all the L.D. carriers have this available to their customers. This type
of information can also be used against you also (maybe "against" is the
wrong word???).  Scenaro: You call a telemarketing company ("Even You Can
Get The 10 Volume Set Of All The Bee Gee's Worst Hit's Of All Time. Call
this 800 # NOW!!!"), and want to order the set. The telemarketing company
has the call-detail option from MCI, which comes in on mag-tape (and that
option is available). The telemarketing company now has you phone number,
and now sells it to other telemarketing comapnies to use for themselves (say
to push a 20 volume set of Olivia Newton-John records), and and so on and so
forth. They could even also try to x-ref the number against the CD-ROM
telephone book databases that the BOC's sell, if you didn't buy anything,
but called to inquire about the products. (If you ordered something, they
would have your address anyway, and that's a whole 'nother argument....)

Get the picture?

     Robert Gutierrez
     <ranma@cup.portal.com> from a borrowed account.
     ****IF YOU REPLY TO THIS ACCOUNT, make the Subject: "C/O Ranma"****

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
laba-2ac@web.berkeley.edu	Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!